Author Topic: Could this be allergic?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline grahamsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
« on: June 08, 2007, 00:08:20 am »
Dd is 2 months old.  Around a week and a half ago she developed little pimply bumps on her face and scalp.  Until then her complexion was clear.  I did take her to the doctor and they said it was baby acne and it would go away on it's own.  But I'm wondering if it could be the start of eczema or atopic dermatitis. 

Almost a week ago she started being much harder to feed, taking less, and spitting up more often.  I have been thinking that the difficulty feeding is being distracted and the spitting up was possibly from the shots she had on last Friday. 

The past three days she hasn't been sleeping as well, her naps are now very, very short (sometimes only 10 minutes or so!!!).  She isn't having diarrhea, although I did notice some mucous in her stools.  I don't know if that is "normal" or not.  No blood or anything.  She is congested, always has been, the doctor said she probably has a mild case of reflux and is refluxing milk into her nose. 

I have two other children who had some allergy issues and I also have had some problems. 
I'm wondering if this sounds like it could possibly be from her formula (regular cow's milk based) or if it is more likely just baby acne and a developmental thing that will pass on it's own. 
With dd#1 she had blood in her stools, so it was more of an obvious allergy thing.  With ds, he has rough skin patches that are itchy and obvious inhalant allergies and has been on Zyrtec since he was 18 months old. 
TIA

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Could this be allergic?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:01:03 am »
From the rash to the sleeping to the spitting up and congestion, it does sound similar to my LO as a newborn and possibly a dairy intolerance.  Might be worth trying Alimentum to see if things clear up (we had good success with the RTF version). Good luck!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline grahamsmama

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:24:43 am »
We did Alimentum with dd#1 and it worked wonders!  I wonder if I was going to try that, should I start slowly, mixing the two formulas and weaning her off the regular Similac or just switch completely?  With dd #1 I was nursing, so it was different. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:34:24 am »
If it were me I'd just switch her all at once but either way is fine - whichever you are more comfortable with.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline grahamsmama

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:42:42 am »
Thanks!  BTW, is your lo still dairy intolerant?  With my dd#1, she can do yogurt and cheese fine, but needs to have Lactaid instead of whole milk, so it's just a lactose thing now.   We had her allergy tested and there was no true "allergy." 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 15:23:26 pm »
She's fine with cheese, doesn't really like yogurt and is on goat milk because cow's milk was still constipating her and making her congested. we may try cow's milk again at 2 years.