Author Topic: Skin rash and immature GI?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Skin rash and immature GI?
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:31:29 am »
I just read on wholesomebaby.com that a food intolerance is an immature GI and not an immune issue.  So, my question is that my LO is now 8 mo and I was told to wait min. 8-9 mos to introduce safe foods.  Today I gave DS 1 tbl of sweet potato and 5 hrs later there were tiny raised bumps (not really red) on head and face.  The light has to be just right to see it because it's more of a different texture rather than a color issue.  I am just so nervous that it will affect his tummy and bowels like the other stuff we tried at 6 mos.  The issue is that he's hungry and doesn't sleep well only on BM.  He took his first 1 hr + afternoon nap in months.  I'm thinking it was because his tummy had a little something in it. 

Are starches just too rough.  Tapioca has been given to us as an ok food.  How is that made?  Is that an actual food or is it mixed w/ something?

Should i move to plums or grn beans instead?

thanks,
ashley

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Skin rash and immature GI?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:00:22 am »
Not sure with tapioca - was there anything about preparing it on Wholesomebabyfood.com? Maybe call your allergist and see? As for the rash, I'd probably wait and see if it continues and/or bothers him before worrying (or if he gets other symptoms).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 15:45:17 pm »
No sign of rash and no diaper issues either  :)!  The only prob is that I believe his reflux flared a bit.  He was burping a lot with the sweet potato. I had stopped his Prevacid for 8 days because I thought he didn't need it.  He was sitting and trying to crawl and wasnt' spitting up.   Well, bad Mom.  He had a rough night and he's been nursing strongly and stiff.  Today is day 2 back on meds.  He seems a lot better.  However, I'd like to continue the food but not if his reflux and burping don't calm down.  Any experience with this appreciated.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 16:41:06 pm »
Please don't stop his meds until/unless his doctor advises and even then it will be a slow wean off. I'd continue the meds and then restart the sweet potatoes and see what happens.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 19:58:59 pm »
Karen,
I promise I won't stop his Prevacid.  I know this is the 2nd time you told me not to.  I just thought he was 8m and we could see.  I won't risk it again.  I did stop the swt potato because I thought that my homemade wasn't fine enough.  Also, I thought the fiber was maybe too much on his tummy.  We did winter squash (organic today) MUCH better.  No burps.   He is napping far better this afternoon.  And the fact that he didn't cry when he went down was a clear sign that he's feeling better.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 01:21:25 am »
Glad to hear it!