Author Topic: stuck between 3-2 naps  (Read 1208 times)

Offline keeps me guessing

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
stuck between 3-2 naps
« on: June 15, 2007, 19:00:44 pm »
My DD seems to be stuck bewteen 2-3 naps. About 2 weeks ago she extended her A time in the pm drastically. So we switched to two naps because we no longer had time for a catnap. We did this for a week and a half. Naps are great. The problem is bedtime, she goes to sleep right away but has been waking at 45minutes everynight and we were getting early wakings. So three days ago we went back to three naps because of early waking and she did not wake after 45 minutes and was sleeping until 6:30am until this mornig when we were back at 5:30.

This is here routine for 2 naps

wake 6:30am
Eat-7am (6oz)
solids 8am (1-2 tbls)
Sleep 9-10:30
Eat 11am (6.5 oz)
Solids- 12:30-12:45 ( 3t) started to accomidate longer pm nap
S-1:30-3:30
Eat 4
solids 5:30 ( with family more BLW)
Bedtime bottle and bed 7-7:30

I have tried both times for bed and she still wakes (it's almost like she thinks its her catnap as it takes awhile to settle and lots of crying). I prefer 7:30 as she sleep 11 hours at night.This was our routine for 1.5 weeks and then we did three naps for three days and no waking however i had to cut naps short to fit them all in (and by doing this actually getting less nap time as am is 45mins:pm is 1.15 and catnap is 30 minutes). How long does it take for them to adjust to a new routine. Any suggestions? Just confused about the 45 minutes waking as when we are doing three naps the last one end at 4-4:43 and bedtime is 7:30-7:45 so the same amount for time between last nap and betime for both routines.

She is a very active baby and lots of milestones (she is sitting on own from floor, crawling preety good, pulling up on everything, walking with holding on to hands (or should i say running). People do not beleive that she is as young as she is. NO teeth yet
Darlene

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
Re: stuck between 3-2 naps
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 20:42:33 pm »
Maybe you could try W2S after she goes to sleep at night to help her get through the jolts and possibly help her sleep through. 

When trying something new it usually takes 3-5 days for them to adjust, however every baby is different and some may take some more time to adjust. 

With all the new milestones it will naturally make her a bit more tired during the day.  Just watch her cues closely. 

It looks like she is ready for two naps so I would stick with it and when/if she wakes at the 45 minute mark at night, leave her in there, unless she is crying of course.  She'll get it eventually.

The one thing I did notice is that her A times are drastically different....1st  A time is only 2.5 hours but her final A time is about 4 hours.  Do you think she may be going to bed overtired? 

Melissa

I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 22:38:59 pm »
I did think that and that i swhy i tried an earlier bedtime 6:30 and 7 and it did not make a difference. I guess once she can stay awake longer in the am then it will balance out. if i put her to bed too early i get early wake.
Darlene

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 22:42:03 pm »
How long did you try the earlier bed time?

-Melissa

Grace April 2006

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 00:12:07 am »
I tried the earlier bedtime for 2 days and she was waking at 5ish not going back to sleep until over 1.5 hours Ready to rock and roll) then sleeping until 7:15am (only 20-30minutes).When i do 7:30 bedtime she sleeps until 6:30am so a little reluctant to do early bedtime. When she did wake it still took over an hour or more to settle sometimes not until 8-9pm. I never thought about the W2S as i forgot about it since i never had to use it.
Well we did two naps today (3.5 hours) asleep by 7:15pm i heard her at the 45minute mark but it was two very low Waaa and back to sleep. this is the first time that this has ever happened with two naps so maybe she is getting it after all. I also took her paci away for night as i though that may have been a problem not sure.

AS for her a times yes they are drastic and i think it's only temporary. i hope that they even out very soon.

Thanks i will see what happens.
Darlene

Offline Grace's Mom

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 00:26:47 am »
Yeah, I would keep going with the 2 naps.  Like I mentioned earlier anything you try give it at least 3-5 days or more so they can adjust.  The first few days most likely will be a bit crazy, but keep at it so you can see those great results.

Since she went back to sleep after waking at the 45 minute mark I wouldn't do w2s.  It may take a few more days, but I think she'll stop waking sometime in the next few days.

I think once the naps solidify everything else will come together and you'll find that perfect bed time and the start of her day will even out too. 

Wonderful job!

Melissa

Grace April 2006

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 00:45:50 am »
Thanks, the naps are great it's the A times that need to be adjusted, but yes it will work out it always does. I just wasn't sure if the two naps was the way to go but now you have reassured me.
Darlene