Author Topic: Why can't DD handle much awake time?  (Read 1111 times)

em_here

Why can't DD handle much awake time?
« on: July 04, 2007, 05:46:26 am »
Hi there, sometimes my DD can sleep from 7pm - 8am (feed at 4/5am), she is six months old. I noticed that some of the EASY routines show an awake time of 2.5 - 3hrs. My DD struggles to stay awake for 2! She gets fussy at the 1 1/2 hour mark (or even 1 1/4), and then will sleep well for her naps if I keep her up until 2 hours, (but that does include 1/2 hour winding down sucking a dummy looking round the living room, as I want her A time to be extended). Problem is she ends up O/T, and although goes to sleep easily, I can tell she is OT as she is rubbing at her eyes until they go red.  I am soooo big on my routine, this is what I like it to be:

7:30 (ish could be 8) Wake up - Milk + Breakfast
9:30 Sleep (2 hrs which is usually fine, she sleeps that long)

11:30 Milk plus lunch
1:30 Nap (Approx 1 1/2 - 2hrs

3:30 Milk plus dinner
5pm - Cat nap - 40 mins

7pm Bed (but by bedtime she is horrifically OT so obviously I am not giving her enough day sleep, just it would end up 4 naps instead of 3, and sometimes I need to leave the house lol!?!?)  What do you guys think?

TIA  :-*

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 174
Re: Why can't DD handle much awake time?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:53:09 am »
Well I am thinking that some babies just need their sleep.
If she is having solid nights and needs her daytime sleep too, then give it to her.
I bet there is lots of moms who would like to be in your place ;)
~Efka~

em_here

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 06:05:07 am »
I know, I did cut back on the daytime sleep a little for a week or so as we had increased n/w, now we are back to long daytime sleep, but not bad nights.  Just would be nice to see her awake lol!  ;D  she keeps me on my toes, it will be all change next week. Maybe she gets tired from being so spirited, she kicks around aggressively etc when she is awake!!! Thanks for answering xx

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Showing Appreciation 174
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:36:00 am »
 :)
I am sure shell be awake soon more.
Maybe she is getting ready for big running around time. Then shell be all over the house and you are not able to catch her
~Efka~

em_here

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 07:59:42 am »
LOL, yeah, my DS is a hyperactive thing, never slept so its strange to have a babe who sleeps a lot!

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 11:04:35 am »
My lo couldn't handle 3 hours of A time until well into 10 months.  :) When there are averages and all you hear is the middle number it's hard to remember that all lo's are different and some just need way more sleep and others need way less.  Just keep following your lo's needs and she'll let you know when she is ready to handle more A time.  You are doing a wonderful job!

Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

em_here

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 12:21:08 pm »
thank u  :-* I will just follow her cues as normal and try not to worry, but worrying is my favorite past time, right up there with sleeping!