Author Topic: new baby coming - some EASY questions.  (Read 940 times)

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« on: July 11, 2007, 00:38:30 am »
ok, I actually joined baby whisperer when chayse got a little older. I have Tracy's "Solves all your Problems" book and I'm looking over a couple sections.

On page 25 is a typical E.A.S.Y day for a 4 week old. I notice basically up until the cat naps and cluster feeds it's Feed and Activity time of about 1 hour and 15 minutes and than nap for about an hour and half. I have a few questions.

1. Will it be difficult to try to abide by this before 4 weeks?

2. My first LO "Chayse" ALWAYS fell asleep after her bottle. The thought of waking her up and especially the thought of waking her up in front of people. For example: If I was at my MIL house or in front of whom ever was embarrasing. I mean I can picture it now, they'll say....she's trying to sleep. Why are you trying to keep her awake!!!!! Keep in mind some relatives are VERY vocal.  When Chayse was first born and for awhile - you could do ANYTHING to try to keep her awake and she wouldn't wake up "lol". People used to hold her and sometimes would even try to wake her up and she wouldnt' wake.   I mean you can't FORCE them to stay awake you know? At times as she got older - I had to put water in her forehead just to get her to drink milk at times.
I would imagine these things make "EATING and ACTIVITY" difficult right? hmmmmmm

by the way - chayse was born 6 lbs 6 ounces.

Thanks for any advise.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline vadensmommy

• Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
Re: new baby coming - some EASY questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 00:56:26 am »
We didn't start EASY till my dd was 7 weeks - didn't know any better!  In my personal and very humble opinion, those first few weeks are all about survival.  Of course you want to "start as you mean to go", but I wouldn't get too wound up if your lo goes straight to sleep after a bottle.  When they are so tiny, they don't know what they are "supposed" to do.  If you find there are bottles that your lo finishes and is still awake, then all the A time you need is a quick diaper change, and then off to the wind down and into bed.  And to be honest, all I wanted to do when my daughter was born was hold and cuddle her.  I rarely put her down during the day - that was the whole reason I had taken off work to be with her!  And as she got a little older I started wanting to look at her sleep more closely - especially when my return to work was approaching - I sure wanted both of us to be getting a good night's sleep. 

So all this rambling to say, I think the key is in all of BW is to watch your lo's cues, and follow them!  And it sounds like you did a great job with dd#1.  A loose EASY in the beginning is perfectly fine in my book, and as your lo gets older, being able to hang on to a good routine will get easier.  And to always try to remember that all of this is supposed to help us enjoy our lo's more - so we'll all be better rested and able to live and love life.  I know when I first started I got so caught up in dd's naps (or actually lack thereof - she was a 45 minute napper) that I practically put myself into post partum depression.  I talked with her doctor and my DH and decided her naps were not going to rule my life, and made a conscious effort to enjoy my time with her.  You know yourself how fast they grow!!!  So enjoy it, don't stress over it too much and it will all come!  Good luck with your delivery, and keep us posted on how it all goes!!!

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 17:59:56 pm »
Definitely enjoy those first few weeks.  :) They go by way too fast!
Do what you can to maintain a routine, giving her/him some predictability to the day.  If you are able and your new lo doesn't fall asleep feeding then you can always start from day one putting them down drowsy but awake but they are newborns and will fall asleep no matter what so just use those weeks to get to know your new lo and do what you feel is right for you and the baby. 

It's hard when you have people around you judging what you feel is best for your baby.  We had to do the same thing with Grace as she would NOT wake up for her feeds.  A few times we had to resort to some crazy tactics to wake her and 99% of the time those didn't work either. 

There are some mom's who don't start EASY until around 6 weeks of age and so on, so it's up to you. We started trying to form together a routine from day one but didn't find out about baby whisperer until she was 2 months to the day.  From then on I was so much more at ease knowing it was about a strict time schedule (as you know  ;)) as every lo is different.  Grace couldn't stay awake more than 1 hour for most of those first 6 weeks so the 1 hour 15 minutes all depends on your lo.  Just follow him/her cues and you'll be fine.

Here are a few links that may be helping with having number 2...

Introducing EASY to a 2nd child...
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80827.0

Getting started; how I survived the first 3 months
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65842.0

Starting EASY with a newborn...what to expect
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63243.0

How to start your baby on EASY
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62100.0
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline legend_018

• Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 19:08:33 pm »
I will look over the links. Thanks!!
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007