Author Topic: Need Help - Desperate!  (Read 1557 times)

Offline TSartain

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 19, 2007, 17:49:52 pm »
Hi Everyone,

My almost 12 month old (July 23rd) has recently started waking in the middle of the night.  Some nights all I have to do is go in and PD and she will go right back to sleep.  Other nights like last night she is up for 3 hours ready to play.  When she was 10 months she went through this and I figured it out that she was sleeping to much during the day, so we shorten the pm nap and she started sleeping through.  My husband and I went on a week vacation (a month ago) and left her my grandma for the week.  She did ok, waking only a few times, but went right back to sleep for her. 

Now for the last two weeks she has been waking and standing up and screaming until we come in.  It just seems to be getting worse and worse.  We have tried the PU/PD and just the PD method put she springs right back up it doesn't seem to work for us.  I was reading about the walking out method counting 5/10/15 seconds, can anyone share some info. on that one.  How does it work?  Any other advice.  My husband wants to try the CIO method for at least 15 min., but my heart says no.  We are not seeing eye to eye on this one.  I need help to convince him otherwise. 

She could be teething, but she is eating fine, etc.  Can anyone help with suggestions of why she is doing this?  She had been sleeping through since she was 3 months old.

Schedule before waking:
7:30 am - Wake/nurse
8:30 am - Breakfast
9:30 am - 11:00 am - Nap
11:30 am - Nurse
12:30 pm - Lunch
2:30 pm - 4:00 pm - Nap
4:30 pm - Nurse and Snack
6:00 pm - Dinner
8:00 pm - Bath/Story's
8:30 pm - Nurse/Bed

I tried earlier bedtime, eliminating one of the naps or shortening one of the naps, etc.  Nothing seems to work.

Thanks!

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Need Help - Desperate!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 23:57:33 pm »
I think she's having too much daytime sleep. Try shortening her morning nap to 1hr.

7.30 - wake
10/10.30-11/11.30 - morning nap
2.30-4pm - afternoon nap
8pm - bedtime

Any changes you make do so for about a week to see what kind an effect it has. She is slowly moving towards 1 nap & doesn't need so much sleep overall

Please don't let her CIO. If she was a great sleeper, this is just a phase & will pass. Is she also showing any signs of teething?

hth
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline TSartain

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:16:18 am »
Thanks Layla!  I tried to tell my husband that CIO doesn't help in the long run.  I even sent him 3 articles today stating that.  I think she is teething.  It's either her molars or her canines.  I just noticed tonight that she is gnawing on her tongue moving it around a lot and seems to be biting on it in the back is that a sign of teething? 

What is your suggestion on what I should do when she starts crying at night.  Should I go right in or what a few seconds??  Thank you so much..just not sure how to handle getting so frustrated, because she has been so great and this is new to us and not sure how to handle!

Also since she has been waking at night she has been sleeping in until about 8:30 or so.  Should I wake her at 7:30 still??

Tracy

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 03:05:34 am »
If she's teething canines or molars, they are quiet painful. Have you tried giving her some pain relief???

Well give her a few secs to see if she will settle. If her cry turns into a real "i need you now" cry, go in, reassure her & leave. 'This link will explain it in more detail https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63896.0 (wi/wo or pd)

Yeah I would wake her at 7.30 to set her internal clock. She "should" be able to do 3hrs in the morning so try to stretch her out until 10.30 for the morning nap, wake her at 1hr & then pm nap about 3.5hrs later & bedtime approx 4 hrs after pm nap ends'

Let me know how you go  :)

Offline TSartain

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 03:10:11 am »
I gave her some Tylenol tonight again.  I tried it one other night it didn't work, and I've tried Motrin and that didn't work.  Is there anything else you would suggest?  We'll see how tonight goes.  One question on the wi/wo method on the 5/10/15 second counting.  Do you count to 5 sec. go in then leave then count to 10 sec. then leave and then 15 sec.?  Or all at once?

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 03:18:41 am »
What you do is pick to count either 5/10 or 15. So say she's crying, go in & reassure her (you might want to put her down) & leave. Start counting to 10. 1...2...3...4...5...6...etc... if she's crying at the end of the count, wi & reassure her (if you want to pd) & leave. Start counting again to 10, etc...

I used to stay in the room until she was calm (or settling down ) but never long enough for her to be falling asleep in my presence so its up to you how much "reassuring" you want to do.

Offline TSartain

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 03:42:13 am »
Thanks..I'll keep you posted!   :)

Offline TSartain

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 15:15:57 pm »
Hi Layla, Well she woke up last night at 12:15 pm.   :(.  I tried the wi/wo method for 45 min.  She just kept standing up and screaming.  When I finally picked her up she tried to latch on (she never does that).  So I nursed (which I have never done).  I stopped the dream feed when she was 8 months old and she hasn't wanted it in the middle of the night for a long time.  She ate and then fell asleep and slept until 7:00 am this morning.  Could it be a growth spurt and teeth?  Does nursing soothe teething?  Tylenol didn't work.  I just put her down at 10:00 for her morning nap and will wake her at 11:00..I'll keep you posted on this evening.

I also just found out this morning that I'm pregnant again..could that decrease my milk supply?  Could she not be getting enough?  She eats a lot of solids during the day.

Offline TSartain

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 01:53:43 am »
Hi there, just wanted to give you an update on today.  Naps went ok, for the most part on schedule.  The pm nap didn't go the full 1.5 hours only like 20 min. short.  She went to sleep nursing tonight.  I decided to not try the sleep training quite yet, because I do believe she is teething.  She is irritable during the day, at times she'll eat her solids and at times she refuses.  She also continues to roll her tongue around in her mouth.  Not sure what to do I guess just keep consoling her?

Offline Layla

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 02:14:09 am »
Well if she's teething & the meds don't work all you can do is console her. Some people are still comfortable sleep training when teething so its totally up to you.

Congrats on the pregnancy!!! I am not really familiar with milk supply when pregnant. Maybe have a look at the BF board for some more info.

Let me know how you go
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 02:16:27 am by Isabella&Jasmine's mum »

Offline TSartain

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 03:55:27 am »
Thanks!  Well she woke up this evening at 10:00 pm and is still awake.  She seems like she is in a lot of pain.  What are your thoughts of nursing in the middle of the night, bad habit or will it help console until she gets through the teething!  Thanks alot for your help.  It at least is helpful to talk to someone about it.

Offline Layla

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 04:05:08 am »
No worries - always here to listen although not sure how much I'm helping. My thoughts on nursing at night??? Well *I* probably wouldnt do it becuase it might be something she'll get really used to & then you'll have to wean her & its just such a hard habit to break! They also teeth until the age of 3!  Nightwakings are not fun (or starting the day at 5.30am) but I ride it out & try to comfort her other ways. I've only ever done wi/wo & if she seemed in absolute pain (which thankfully Isabella hasn't but Jasmine has), I pick her up to comfort her & put her back. She sucke on her blanket though to self soothe so she has kind of solved the pain issue herself.

I don't know :-\. Its hard to listen to her crying & again you do what makes you comfortbale. Have you looked into some other remedies for teething. I've only ever used baby panadol but some people have better luck with herbal stuff. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=17.0 Maybe have a look at this thread for more ideas - I know some have luck giving a wet towel or something to chew on....