Author Topic: Sleep cues  (Read 797 times)

Offline mic74

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 06, 2007, 21:15:02 pm »
I am new to posting on the boards, but have been reading them for awhile and found them very useful.  I have a 9 month old little girl and we were doing 2.5 hours awake in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon before her afternoon nap.  We have been having a rough 3 weeks due to her top teeth coming in and things have fallen apart. 

Anyway, I am curious, does your child always have sleep cues?  My little girl rarely yawns or rubs her eyes unless we are out and it's way past the 3 hours of awake time.  I find it a little difficult because right now she is playing/crying in her crib and she doesn't appear tired but I know that she should be.... and I feel guilty that I have her in there.

Offline hatshetsut

• Formerly hollyj
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Peekaboo!
    • Global Tots Travel Blog
Re: Sleep cues
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 21:21:47 pm »
Some times kids will do things that aren't "classic" cues but are individual cues for that child. For example my DD gets more hyper when she gets really tired. Like she doesn't want to stop or she might fall asleep. She also plays with her hair (right hand only) when tired. You might watch your LO very closely for a week and jot down what behaviors she has prior to a good night of sleep. That will help you decide what behaviors are her tired cues. Hope That Helps.

Holly
Abigail - Defines Spirited! - 5-1-06

Katherine - Is a mystery wrapped in a cute package - 4-13-10

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 23:25:14 pm »
I have a spirited lo so I have to be extra careful about getting her down before she gets OT.  She has gone through stages.  There were times where a yawn was a late sleep cue.  When she was a new born I knew it was time as the skin around her eyes would get pink.  Now it's great because she signs 'bed' to me plus I can just tell....yawns, rubs eyes, etc.  It's amazing...now that she can tell me she's ready for bed she finally gets 'normal' sleep cues  ;)  Go figure.
I would just study your lo and figure out her unique language.  Here are some links that may help!

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65957.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65942.0
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline stheo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:33:25 am »
what is your schedule like... Ainslee is 9.5 months and does 3 hr A  time in morning and 3-3.5 in the afternoon... sometime she is fussy and rubs her eyes to signal shes tired but other times she doesn't do anything and I just know that it is time for her nap... when her naps get shorter ( around 45 mins) then I know that she needs more Atime... the other day she had only been awake for 2 hrs but she was rubbing her eyes and really fussy and i knew that it was fed and clean, i put her in her crib and she went right to sleep and slept for 1.75 hr....

em_here

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 09:19:24 am »
My DD has always had clear sleepy cues, ie:rubbing eyes etc

As for DS, well, as a baby I would have no clue whether he was tired or not, and it came to me that as a pp said, he would become more active when OT, like hyperactive!
Does your lo not show any signs such as just generally going quiet? Just one to throw in as my friend's lo always just goes quiet when strating to get tired, no yawning or fussing, just quiet