Author Topic: Wake to sleep  (Read 1317 times)

Offline SammyNik

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Wake to sleep
« on: August 12, 2007, 16:35:27 pm »
How do you do wake to sleep at night? My ds is consistently waking at 3.30am so I am planning to try wake to sleep tonight but not really sure when I should be doing it?
Niki - Mummy to 3 beautiful little monkeys.

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: Wake to sleep
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 17:21:44 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64107.0

This link explains wake to sleep pretty well.  If you have other questions please post back.
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline SammyNik

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 18:33:44 pm »
Thanks for link, just 1 question!! What do I do if he wakes properly at 2.30? For his 3.30 waking I have been gradually cutting back on feeding and we are down to just 1 side now but he is still not really hungry when he gets up in the morning so really want to stop this feed if possible.

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 23:00:18 pm »
How old is he? What is his daily routine?  Does he go to sleep for naps nd bedtime independantly or with props?
If he wakes I would soothe him back to sleep using pat shh, pu pd, or pd depending on his age. 
You really don't have to do much. Make sure he moves or changes breathing patterns. Some babies only require a touch so start there.

Offline SammyNik

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 08:06:52 am »
He is 5months old and is on a 4hr EASY with feeds at 7,11,3,7 and dreamfeed at 10.30ish. He is a pretty good napper takes 2 x 1.5-2hr naps and sometimes a catnap but if no catnap then early to bed. Always self settles at naps and bedtime unless we have had a busy day out and he is a bit overtired, then I just have to go back to him when he starts really crying and give him a kiss and tell him its sleep time. He sleeps swaddled for all his sleeps and still needs this as we have tried a few times without and he just can't cope yet. I tried last night at 2.30 and he seemed to wake slightly, turned his head and started breathing lighter but he still woke at 3.30am. Is this normal? Does it take a few days to work? I don't want to not feed him if he needs it but it is definatly affecting his first feed of the day so I figure if I can get him to stop this feed he will be better for 7am feed?

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:34:36 pm »
It usually does take a few days to work.  I would do it for a week and evaluate then.  Did you feed at 3:30?  If he really needs the feed then he would keep waking until fed.

Offline SammyNik

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 16:52:21 pm »
Hi yes I did feed at 3.30 but only for a few minutes and he settled easily and didn't wake till 7am. Do you think I should try not feeding him if I use w2s at 2.30 then he wakes at 3.30 anyway?

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 17:20:26 pm »
If you are trying to ed the 3:30 wake, then I wouldn't do anything (feed) to encourage it.  I would try to soothe him with pat/shh or pu pd.  If he wakes again shortly after he might honestly be hungry but I don't believe that to be the case.

Offline SammyNik

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 21:25:27 pm »
ok thanks will try not to feed tonight if he wakes after w2s. I really don't believe he is hungry either and would love to sleep from dreamfeed till 7am, what a treat!!!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 00:07:44 am »
Let me know how it goes.
Myia

Offline SammyNik

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 07:18:50 am »
All the best laid plans!! It appears my son has a sense of humour!! Set my alarm for 2.30am, went to sleep and got woken by him crying, thought on no I must have cancelled my alarm in my sleep, looked at the clock, no it 2.28am!! What a little monkey. Anyway tried to settle in cot but he was having none of it and when I did feed him he wasn't happy with a short feed, he took a full feed and woke again at 6.15 for more food. So I think he mayb having a growth spurt. Last time we went through a growth spurt, pretty much everything went down the pan, naps etc so I guess I will give it a week to make sure we are over growth spurt then try w2s again. The thing is I don't really want him to be getting more calories at night even though he is having a growth spurt do I? Or do I just let him feed when he needs to and then work on night feed later? I have lent my book to a friend so can't refer back to that. Its always when you havn't got it that you need it isn't it?!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 12:15:31 pm »
If he is having a growth spurt feed him.  There is a pretty big growth spurt around 6 months.  Certainly try to up his daytime intake to help him get through the night but if he wakes and takes a full feed and then goes right back to sleep he is probably hungry. Give him a few days and see where you are.

A sense of humor is a good thing... ;)