Author Topic: EW back again, 16 month old - and I'm back at work argh!!!  (Read 4922 times)

Offline sherry lynn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 127
Re: EW back again, 16 month old - and I'm back at work argh!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 19:54:38 pm »
Good luck :)  Hope it keeps up for you.

DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline nolejen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 22:22:19 pm »
I wonder if this would work with Jared. He is will be 18 months on Monday and we are now getting EWs.

Can you tell me how you are doing this? J in the past has woken up at 6-6:30 regardless of what time he went to bed. That is why we did the 7pm bedtime. Now that he is getting up at 5, I am afraid he will go to bed at 7:30 but wake up at 5. Then we will really have an OT kiddo.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 00:16:15 am »
Day 2:  Wake-up 6am!   (he actually woke at 5;15am then went back to sleep!, its a first!)  Bedtime and nap times yesterday were half an hour later than usual.    So 12pm and 7:30pm.
Fingers crossed that it keeps working!!   

Nolejen:   I think that you are supposed to move the whole routine later in 15 mins increments, but I just went the whole half hour on the first day.   The minha reason it took me so long to give it a go was the same fears that you have about OT and it not working.  We got the to point where we had to do something (the clocks are going backwards in a month) I could no longer blame the teething and I felt this was the most pain free way to go.     

Offline nolejen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 02:47:25 am »
We are giving it a go. He didn't go to bed tonight until 7:15 but wasn't asleep until closer to 7:30. I plan on pushing his nap back some tomorrow.
Hope you keep having success!!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 22:58:52 pm »
thanks Nolejen!

Day 4:  wake-up at 6:30am yeah!   Yesterday nap at 11:45am for 1.5 hours and bedtime 7:30pm.
Its working!

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Maybe an Angel and Textbook Turkey
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 03:12:06 am »
I really think our DD was just getting too much sleep at the wrong times and not enough at the right times. She is back on track even after being sick...napping almost 2 hours after lunch and not showing signs of being tired until 7:30.

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 17:21:36 pm »
Yey!!! That is really exciting.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline EloysH

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 05:57:57 am »
Good to hear Julie.

So what time is her nap now?

We had nap refusal today I had to resort to the car for a 2pm nap for only 45 mins in car.  I think the third molar is starting to bulge.

So Day 5: we had 6:10am wake-up and he  lay around till 6:45am.  Any wake-up after 6am is good for us.

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 17:39:34 pm »
We are the same. Any wake up after 6 is good for us. We got 6:15 today :)

What was Jarrah's behavior before the nap refusal? Did he seem OT or UT. Was he cranky like they are when teething?

Just curious. I hope he can make it to 7:30. Or are you going to put him down a tad earlier since he lost some sleep today?
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline nolejen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 19:45:25 pm »
Eloise-just wanted to keep you updated on our progress. So far so good. Jared is now napping for 2 hours (12:30-2:30) and goes down at 7:30, with a fight though. But he is sleeping through the night (knock on wood) and this morning had a 7am wake up. YAY!!! Here is hoping!!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 20:38:01 pm »
oh my goodness! that is fantastic!  We have never achieved anything past 6:30am yet. His nap is still 12:00pm though.  Maybe I can try and push it a little.  We've also got the clocks winding back in three weeks so I need to do it anyway.      What was your bedtime before you started this?

Sher, I ended up putting him down at 7pm, (asleep within minutes) he couldn't last till 7:30pm. He slept till 6:15am - yeah!
It was strange yesterday.  He was so happy until naptime. We were out the whole time, maybe because he was distracted when we were out. He wasn't cranky or anything the whole morning. It was a dream morning. Then at naptime 12pm started chewing on his teeth with dummy and crying, pointing to the door wanting out. Whewn I did WI/WO he quickly escalated to extreme distress. So I thought either UT or teeth.    Then by 1:00pm he become OT and also was chewing his hand alot..    It's hard to tell. 

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 01:50:50 am »
Yeah, nap refusals are always hard to tell here as well. For nap times it usually takes us 1 hour of WI/WO, no joke. So I only do it in extreme cases as well. I would have opted for the car also.

Nolejen- If you keep getting a battle at bedtime it might be worth it to go ahead and up the A time and see if he can handle it. Spirited LO sometimes need long A times before bed. Just a thought. That is great news though. Very encouraging. I think after this you might be able to tackle the bedtime.

Eloise - how is work going? I just saw the title of this thread again, and I realized I haven't heard how work is going on the BC or anything.

So I had a question. I'm wondering if pushing out the nap time would help us as well. But Lyle is really hard to push routine wise. So I'm really wondering how often and quickly I can push up the A time? Any thoughts? I know 15 minutes every 3 days would be way too much. But we do need to balance out the A times. We are currently doing
wake 5:45-6:15
Nap around 11/11:15ish to 1/1:15ish
Bed 7:00

Today I put him in early because he was so out of sorts. Went to bed with no fuss. Even if we get an early start I figure that's better than him having a restless night.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline EloysH

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 02:21:56 am »
Hi Sher,

I think you are right to start pushing out the nap time a Little. It may help with the EW's who knows?  Jarrah copes quite well with 1/2 hour changes to his routine, he's not so spirited in that way.   For instance today:  ( As I wrote on Charms thread)  I waited for clear tiredness before I put him down for the nap and he wasn't tired till 12:30. He is now soundly asleep at 1pm with no dramas!     

Maybe you could just tend towards 11:15am alot more often than 11:00 am? Sounds like you're getting great nap length so I wouldn't want to mess with it too much.  I did notice a shortening of J's naps over the past few months and we were stuck on 11am nap for a very long time. So that (alone) was an indication that a later nap time was required.  Not forgetting the EW's adding to the case also.

So I am thinking that yesterdays attempt to get him down at 12pm was UT.

On the work situation, it's going really well. I am enjoying being able to drink a cup of tea before it goes cold and concentrate on a task for more than 10 mins.   It's only one day a week, and J is very happy being with my Mum.  He doesn't even cry when I leave or  want to cuddle when I get home  :(   ;)  but having said that EW's were a killer when you need your wits about you at work!  That's why I was driven to try something new to combat the EW's, I'm glad I did, cause this is working out really well!

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 02:29:26 am »
At this point I can't even imagine what going to work would feel like. Having said that I tried to find my teaching certificate a few days ago, and I couldn't find it. That's so unlike me. But everything does change when you have a LO. Now I have to call the HR department. Sigh. Oh well. The state's not even hiring this year because of the economic issues.

Today's nap wasn't so great, we had a lot of stirring and what not. So he was OT. So I'll give it a few more days to see if I think he can handle a longer A time. Thanks for the encouragement though. I'm sure I'll be asking for some more soon.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 02:36:28 am »
Though this might be helpful to you ladies with EWing issues:

"Aah! The million dollar question! At what point is it reasonable to expect your child will sleep until a more respectable hour in the morning? When can you kiss the sunrise goodbye?

First, (and sadly for some) every child is different and your child may just be a naturally early riser. For these children, try one the following strategies which may allow you to have an extra half hour's sleep-in:

* Put a clock beside her bed and either teach her the basics of telling the time, or draw her a picture of what the clock face looks like when he's allowed to get up.
    * Provide him with some quiet entertainment that may encourage him to stay in bed - a few action figures, a book or two, a join-the-dots activity.
    * If she does want to get out of bed, make sure she knows what the house rules are.
    * If he's starving when he wakes up, you may just have to get up to give him breakfast - although some children love to get their own bowl of cereal if you leave everything out that they need and put the milk in a small jug in the fridge.
    * Make sure that his room stays dark. There's nothing faster at waking a slumbering child than the sun streaming into his room. If his room captures all the morning light, make sure that the window coverings are heavy. You could try adding a 100% block-out lining to the existing curtains, or put up a set of curtains over a blind.
    * Don't expect her to go to bed early and sleep late. Most pre-schoolers need between 10-12 hours of sleep at night, so if she's still keeping the bedtime of his babyhood - asleep at 7pm - you probably have to expect that she will wake early. Perhaps try making his bedtime a little later to encourage a later start to the day.
    * Keep the house quiet. Once upon a time, your child slept on through all sorts of household noise. Those days are long gone, so if you or your partner has to get up early, try pulling his door closed and keeping noise to a minimum.
    * Try to encourage him to have a morning stretch in bed each day. If your child is in the habit of bouncing out of bed the second his eyes open, he'll never learn the joys of a sleep-in, but if he wakes to some quiet time in bed he may occasionally roll over and drift off again.

How to shift bedtime:

If you decide that the key to a more reasonable waking time is to shift your child's bedtime to a little later, try this:

* Your child will adjust to the move easiest if you change his bedtime in small increments. Try moving it by quarter of an hour at a time.
    * Sleep rhythms can take a week or two to change (just think about how long it takes to adjust to daylight saving each year) so expect it to take a couple of weeks before you see any change to his sleep patterns in the morning.
    * Once you've settled into the 15 minute change, try another 15 minutes. Keep going until you reach a bed time that is appropriate for your child. "

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07