Author Topic: 30 minute naps - getting worse now down to 20!  (Read 2920 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: 30 minute naps - getting worse now down to 20!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 14:14:35 pm »
((HUGS)) lovey for the stress and the fatigue, you must be worn out.

As soon as I mentioned sleep, the doctor immediately said that it wasn't anything to do with his reflux but it was because he hadn't been sleep trained.
(Excuse me while I step out and have 'a word' with the doc.)  Frankly, I don't find that very helpful.  Is there any way you can speak to another doctor?  You say in your first post that things were pretty much sorted, but I would be concerned that if he was still having bad nights with reflux that his meds were not doing their job.  I'm going to ask some mamas with reflux experience to come and have a look. 

In the meantime, I completely agree that the right thing to do is whatever you think will help him sleep, *if* he will feed to sleep, or anything that looks like it'll help, do try it, though it sounds like he's pretty resistant.  Do you have a baby carrier/sling that he could sleep in upright in the daytime? Being upright might help, and OT will be making him wake up a bit more at night too.
Sleep and the reflux baby
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 19:24:50 pm »
Hugs Hun, I had a baby like this his nights were horrible even at 8 months. He was in a lot of digestive discomfort and his reflux even on a high dose of meds was uncontrolled because it was a symptom of everything else.
Can I ask what dose of omeprazole he is on?
What solids is he having and how often?
How are his poops? - other than the bit of constipation he's had. Does he get gassy?

What finally worked for us was stopping solids all together for a few weeks and working on helping the gut heal. Probiotics, neocate (he was on prescription formula) and a little bit of his safest food pumpkin. We also added supplements to his bottle but we were under the care of a biomedical pead.

I do think you need to get another drs opinion. The one your seeing clearly isn't listening or understanding :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 19:26:53 pm »
God, I feel like we have very similar babies, just that mine is 11 weeks. 10 min naps, waking after rolling to back in a sleepyhead  ::) ::).

Was that your GP or a paed??

And what solids are you on?? They are a double edged sword as they could really help him if we can work out what suits yk?

Offline bluebell568

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 09:41:40 am »
He's currently on 15mg of omeprazole. 10mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening. We started on 5mg last September but it was once we were on 10mg and the dairy and soya were out of my system that we really saw a difference in the day time and he was settled. Naps went from having to be carried round in the sling moving at all times to taking 3x 30 minute naps in his cot (which I was really pleased with as it gave my 3 year old 3x30 minutes of my time). But night sleep was always a problem. The GP agreed to add the 5mg in the evening to see if it helped with sleep. We then tried 5mg in the morning and 10mg at night which led to unsettled days and then 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening but nothing seemed to help with the sleep at night. So we have gone back to 10mg am and 5mg pm. I don't want him to be on a higher dose than necessary if it isn't helping and definitely not if it is actually interferring with sleep.

Solids he has some baby porridge and fruit puree for breakfast and then purees for lunch and tea. So far he has had carrot, butternut squash, parnsip, potato, sweet potato, pear, apple, apricot, prunes,  melon, avacado and last night some courgette. He's also had a few rice cakes and corn puffs. He doesn't have much at each meal, just a tablespoon or so.

Last night he woke up 5 times each time wanting to feed. It is so hard to tell if wants to feed to soothe the discomfort or if it is just habit now. I think it is a bit of both.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 11:07:59 am »
What is the baby porridge? Is it wheat/gluten based? Would be nice to introduce a protein source as well wouldn't it? Would help with hunger issues.

Sara is better with solids introduction that I am though so I will let her advise.

Shame you can't do 7.5mg am and pm, but too hard with tablet sizes I guess.

Probably is a mix of comfort/ habit really. TBH my bottle fed refluxer is the same though - wants an oz here and there through the night.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 10:01:10 am »
He's currently on 15mg of omeprazole. 10mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening. We started on 5mg last September but it was once we were on 10mg and the dairy and soya were out of my system that we really saw a difference in the day time and he was settled. Naps went from having to be carried round in the sling moving at all times to taking 3x 30 minute naps in his cot (which I was really pleased with as it gave my 3 year old 3x30 minutes of my time). But night sleep was always a problem. The GP agreed to add the 5mg in the evening to see if it helped with sleep. We then tried 5mg in the morning and 10mg at night which led to unsettled days and then 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening but nothing seemed to help with the sleep at night. So we have gone back to 10mg am and 5mg pm. I don't want him to be on a higher dose than necessary if it isn't helping and definitely not if it is actually interferring with sleep.
Ok so this may sound weird but my first did fantastic on split losec 10mg morning an night. BUT DS2 was awful with split losec, he needed a full dose in one hit for it to be enough to cover him. I do wonder if you would be better off giving one dose in 24hrs, and trying for the 15 or 20mg for a week to see if this helps or not.... :-\

What is the baby porridge? Is it wheat/gluten based? Would be nice to introduce a protein source as well wouldn't it? Would help with hunger issues.

Also wondered this, be wary of any grains with a really sensitive LO to food. I found Tom really tough because he wasn't even intolerant to some solids but his body just didn't digest anything much too well until he was over 1, and even then it was a bland diet. No soy, wheat, dairy, high fructose foods, sugary foods ... the list goes on. At 2 he can eat almost anything now and I just have to watch his dairy and wheat. Some proteins and safe foods that are also really good - if tolerated (and some babies do not tolerate legumes) are chickpeas, hummus, butter beans or cannelloni beans mashed up. Lean lamb mince (very digestible), veges such as asian greens, pumpkin, carrot, chicken broth if you can make some, banana (if tolerated). It is unfortunately trial and error but I did learn that for Tom LESS was more. He didn't need more solids, he needed less variety and less volume for his body to get used to it. He was a hungry baby too so I had to make sure the quality of his food was good and he had big bottles for longer.
How was he on the pear and apricots...these foods would have really upset Tom and I wonder if some of the sugary fruits are causing gas discomfort at night.
The other thing that is worth looking at is his E .. what time does he have bottles and solids during the day atm (Forgive me if this is back on a prev page)

Probably is a mix of comfort/ habit really. TBH my bottle fed refluxer is the same though - wants an oz here and there through the night.
Yup....Sometimes too its us that want to just get them back to sleep (well in my house it was) and a bottle did that :-\
Can I ask if you find pain meds help at all? - Sometimes they don't but sometimes they really can make a difference and knowing if they do or don't can help identify what is going on sometimes.
What happens if you don't feed... much longer to settle I'm guessing

and LOL Liz, doubt I have any more knowledge than you missy mamma of 3!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.