Author Topic: How long shh/pat before they learn on their own?  (Read 3360 times)

Offline bla04017

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • *Jackson William* 8 Days
How long shh/pat before they learn on their own?
« on: October 22, 2007, 20:18:35 pm »
I am trying to do the shh/pat with my 6 wk old for naptime.  He always fights sleep and therefore I'm hoping this sleep tool will help?  I'm just wondering for those who have done it with their lo's, how long did you do it before they just started sleeping on thier own! 
Holy cow it takes a lot out of me and I've only done it for 2 days!!

Offline JennandChloe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How long shh/pat before they learn on their own?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 22:27:35 pm »
I know how you feel! I tried it for the first time today and I did it for 3 hours and it ended up not working! I'm going to keep trying but you're right it takes a lot out of you! I'll admit I cried right along with her after about 2 and half hours!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 23:09:30 pm »
Hi and (((Hugs)))

I remember crying right along w/my LO as well just praying she would go to sleep!

Every baby is different, but I wanted to say that we started pat/shh at 4 weeks old, and I did it for every nap and night sleep for one week straight - thought I was going to lose my mind - but by the time she was 5 weeks old it had really paid off and she was going down pretty independently, w/great naps and night sleep.  I think most people see some type of improvement in a week or 2....

If I were to do it over again I probably would have given myself a little bit of a break and let her nap in the stroller or sling a couple of times, but I was on a mission, lol!

Good luck - I'm sure others wil be by with some info/experiences to share.

Hang in there and congrats on your new babies!!

Tari

Offline bla04017

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 00:41:44 am »
Wow jennaandchloe 3 hours!!  I would have broken down in tears before then.  It seems like it keeps them awake and by the time he finally falls asleep he's overtired and only sleeps for 30-45 minutes.  It is driving me up the wall!!  Also, if he does wake early are you suppose to shh/pat again?
Anyone think that recording the shhhhh on a tape and playing it will help?  Shhing for that long makes me light headed. 
Anyone else have success with it?!  Please post so I have some reasurance in presuming it with my ds.

Offline petherbridge

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 14:43:58 pm »
Hi everyone. I've decided to give it a try as my lo (6 weeks) has suddenly started fighting all crib sleeps!! I tried it for the 1st time today and it only took 20mins, but i think she was MEGA overtired and am convinced this will not be the norm!!

I wanted to ask a couple of questions please.... It may sound stupid but do you do the shh/pat straight away from laying down (even if they are calm when you put them down), or do you leave to see if they will settle on their own and go in and do it once crying starts?

I need lo to settle herself in a stationary pram too (for school runs), so can i do shh/pat the same in the pram from now or would you advise sorting the crib 1st then moving onto pram?

Good luck to all us new shh/patters!!!

Sarah x

Offline bla04017

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 15:52:10 pm »
Sarah,
Welcome to the world of trying to shh/pat (aka hell) haha :)
When reading the BW it says that you do the shh/pat when nessisary, so if she is calm I wouldn't start until the crying starts.  I have to start right away with my ds because as soon as I swaddle him he starts to fuss. 
I would also advise to start with the crib and get it down there and then maybe it'll be easy to do it in the pram.  I'm not positive though, that is just my first instinct. 
This morning my shh/pat took 30 minutes, and then when he woke from his nap it took another 15.  I'm just keeping on... good luck everyone.

Those who have done it and it worked, please give us some reassurance!!  THANKS

Offline elmarie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 263
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 16:41:06 pm »
Shh/pat is part of Tracy's plan to develop an adequate sleep routine with her 4 s's.  You need to establish a good winding down routine from for shh/pat to work. When you have set the stage for sleeping , swaddled your lo you will sit with lo until they start falling asleep (before they are totally asleep) you will place them back in the cot. You will only then start shh/pat if lo is fussy and start crying, the shh/pat is a physical intervention to try and calm them.

I'm just wondering for those who have done it with their lo's, how long did you do it before they just started sleeping on thier own! 
It is important that you don't stop with shh/patting to soon otherwise you will be in and out room every 10min. every time you have to start the process all over again.  You know your baby is asleep if his eyes stop moving.  It can take a week or two or longer-remember sleep training is a process and shh/pat is just a sleep tool that will eventually teach your lo to fall asleep on his own... :)

Offline petherbridge

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 16:56:05 pm »
Hi, the thing is, my lo won't let me hold her til she is nearly asleep. I do the wind down but she really does not like being held for any length of time. Hence, i can't wait until she is falling asleep before i put her in the crib. When i lay her down she is usually calm, for about 10-15 mins and then starts getting agitated and eventually crying. Is this when i go in to shh/pat.. Most babies cry when put down and then get less. NOT MINE!!! She is calm and then works herself up!!

Thanks for the help though...

sarah

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 17:10:00 pm »
with my DS it took me from 4 weeks old till he was like 12 weeks old of pat-shushing, but at that point i was abble to put him in his crib completely awake and leave the room, so i think its TOTALLY worth it. Good luck
[img width= height=]http://m1.lilypie.com/6mvXm6.png?r=63e7296[/img]  [img width= height=]http://m3.lilypie.com/bqFOm6.png?r=6443960[/img]

Offline elmarie

• Showing Appreciation 263
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 17:23:29 pm »
yes, Sarah.  Of course you will have to adjust the shh/patting to suit your lo's temprament.  if doesn't want to be in arms you are right by putting her down and then start the shh/patting in the cot but as pp said it is so worth it in the long run to get your lo to calm themselves  :)

Offline petherbridge

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 19:02:28 pm »
Thanks to everyone for replying..

I've warned my little boy (5yrs) that he's going to lose time with mummy for a while (husband working away til christmas). But i have told him it will be worth it as Freya will become a good sleeper and cry less!!! I also told him that Father Christmas will be so impressed with how grown up and patient he is going to be!!!

Determined to stick with it as everyone is so positive it delivers results.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Sarah x

Offline bla04017

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 19:09:52 pm »

with my DS it took me from 4 weeks old till he was like 12 weeks old of pat-shushing,
Wow estherofi20, I don't know if I can persist that long!!  What was your pattern like?  Did he cry a lot?  How long did it take?  Was it every nap?
Just wanting to know others experiences, so help me along the way.

Offline bla04017

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 20:24:32 pm »
As soon as I start to swaddle my ds he starts to fuss and cry.. therefore i too haven't found any success in sitting with him.  i just swaddle and start the shush/pat... is that okay??

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 17:28:37 pm »
well he did cry a lot, it was pretty exhausting, because i remmember beeing so tired after pat-shushing from 45min to an hr, and after he finally settled, then came the darn 20min jolt and i had to do it all over again... pretty frustrating, but i must say my DS was (still a bit ;)) a grumpy baby, so i think that had a lot to do with it. Getting him to nap was awfull, but he did settle really well at nigths. From my experience, he was at his worst from 4 weeks old till 9 weeks old, then at 9 weeks old his need for the pat-shush decreased, and finally at 12 weeks old, he stopped needing it completely, and it was a bliss just to put him in his crib wide awake and leave the room. I must say i really believe this method is quite exhausting, but it does pay in the end.
[img width= height=]http://m1.lilypie.com/6mvXm6.png?r=63e7296[/img]  [img width= height=]http://m3.lilypie.com/bqFOm6.png?r=6443960[/img]

Offline bla04017

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 01:49:41 am »
Did you ever think that he just grew out of it by the time he was 12 weeks and by that time he was just old enough to sooth himself?  Maybe it wasn't really the sshh/pat... maybe it was just the age. 
HOW did you do it??  Was it every nap?? When did the time decrease??