Author Topic: swollen lips  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 15:33:58 pm »
Oh how scary, big hugs  :'( :-*

A similar thing happened to Jenn a few weeks ago, the diagnosis was anaphylaxis (not anaphylactic shock, that is one step up).

In Your DS case it really seems as if it was something he ate, so the doctors advice was correct. I would maybe also avoid strange spices and artificial colours and sweeteners. Don't give too acidy food as that can prolong the flare-up.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: swollen lips
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 15:50:46 pm »
Big hugs Lis. Glad to hear the doctors are on top of this and I hope it clears up and you get it figured out soon.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline appletree

• Showing Appreciation 51
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 19:52:17 pm »
Lis, I bet that is difficult (living on the island with no boat travel in the night). But the Dr. wouldn't have sent you all home if he was real concerned for his safety. kwim? Did they give you an epi-pen? (epinephrine) I have 2 just in case. I've had to use it 3 times but that's cuz my throat swells shut. My allergist said he doesn't care if I have hives from head to toe the only time he stresses is when the breathing is involved. Hope this helps a little. AND, I hope things get resolved soon.  :-* :-*
Wendee <3

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 20:00:53 pm »
I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. It can be hard to pinpoint the culprit.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 07:16:31 am »
Thanks girls. It's so good to have your support.
The welts have got much worse and DS didn't sleep too well last night and he had 39 temperature.  They did tell us at the hospital the rash would come and go but it wasn't as bad as this while we were there , I suppose it's because he's stopped some of the medicine they were giving him there.
Should I not be worried about the rash but only if the swelling comes back?

Steffi, when you say acidy food, does that include fruit? Did Jenn have an itchy rash for some time? Did you have anything for the itching?
Appletree, we weren't given an epi pen, but I will ask when we go for allergy test. We didn't have any breathing problems thank goodness and yes of course your right that the hospital wouldn't have sent us home if they weren't 100% theanks for reminding me! ;)
Lis x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 13:08:27 pm »
Sorry to hear the rash got worse again. Any improvement?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Shdef

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 13:55:10 pm »
Steffi, when you say acidy food, does that include fruit? Did Jenn have an itchy rash for some time? Did you have anything for the itching?

I mean citrus fruit, berries, cherries and peaches, they can irritate it. Jenn flared down when she ate "bland" foods you know.
For the itching we had citirizine (like benadryl). The jab from the doctor also helped

Hope he feels 100% soon  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Lissybits

• My world!
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 06:20:53 am »
Rash got worse last night, he didn't eat, sleep and he also had a temperature of 39 so we called the Dr. I was more worried about the rash as in amongst the redness there was what appeared to be bruising. This did come and go though. Has anyone seen this with an allergic reaction before?
Dr couldn't really explain the bruising - she said it might be where DS's itching  ???
The loss of appetite, non sleeping and temperature was due to an ear infection  :o, so I was quite relieved to hear that! Poor little thing!
Dr also gave us cortizone tablet and that has brought the rash right down.
We were all in bed for 8pm last night and at midnight when the alarm went off to give DS his medicine we said "Happy New Year"  to each other and then went back to sleep!!
Anyway, Happy New Year to you all and lets wish for a very healthy, happy 2008  :-*
Lis xxxx

Offline appletree

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 08:35:38 am »
Lis, glad to hear that he sounds like he's feeling a little better. Poor thing! I had what looked like bruising and broken blood vessels with one of my allergic reactions but it was because I was itching so severly.

Hope 2008 is wonderful for you. And that all your questions are answered very soon!!!  :-* :-* :-*
Wendee <3

Offline Lissybits

• My world!
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 10:08:42 am »
Thanks for your reply  :P that's a relief to hear that you have had something similar. All kinds of things were going through my mind. The Dr did say it was due to the itching but silly me I never feel 100% with the ped here ( I don't tell DH that though!) - I suppose I should have more trust in her!
I hope your 2008 is happy and healthy too and you get to the bottom of DD's NW. That's the next thing I'm going to tackle with DS - sigh  ::)
Lots of kisses to you and your family
xxx

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 10:12:52 am »
Happy new year :D

I am glad the cortizone tablet helped. I hope the improvement continues.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Shdef

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 10:20:37 am »
Happy new year :D

I am glad the cortizone tablet helped. I hope the improvement continues.

Kelly

Ditto!!!  :-*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 12:17:35 pm »
Double ditto!

Offline appletree

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 01:17:17 am »
Thanks, Lis. Good luck with all this. Hope it gets much better really soon.  :D :-*
Wendee <3

Offline Lissybits

• My world!
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 06:10:29 am »
Hi girls,
You'll be pleased to hear that after the trip to Drs on Monday night and the 2 cortizone tablets the rash has really calmed down and stayed that way without any more cortizone.
We also collected up all the new toys he had for his birthday and Christmas while he was asleep on Monday night and stored them in the basement (he didn't even notice  ;D)
Could this terrible reaction really have been to do with a toy or would it have calmed down like this anyway?
I forgot to say that we never had any diarrhea or tummy ache with this allergy ???