Author Topic: Please help me to discern whats wrong :(  (Read 3267 times)

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • mischief makers........
Please help me to discern whats wrong :(
« on: February 17, 2008, 15:42:47 pm »
Ok my LO was diagnosed with lactose intolerance after christmas based on the symptoms she's been suffering since birth...

She was suffering Diarrhea, colic etc...at 7 months of age she was still suffering violent green watery diarrhea and what can only be described as belly aches every few days...so the doc prescribed her lactose free milk which seemed to do the trick - until now.  Shes now nearly nine and a half months old and over the last 2/3 weeks things have steadily gone downhill again.  The doc told me at the time of prescribing the LF milk that there was no 'test' for intolerances available so diagnosis is normally based on symptoms alone.  I am trying to figure out if maybe there is something else going on with her or if i have done something wrong and maybe AP'd her in some way....i would be so so grateful if anyone could take a look at what her symptoms are (i will write them below) and tell me an honest opinion of what they think. I have posted on colic crying and reflux and ill probably post on one of the sleep boards too as i am so sodesperate to get answers.  She is no longer sleeping more than 1/2 hour during the day - and this is all broken up over the day so as you can imagine im at the end of my tether here.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. here are the 'symptoms' bearing in mind shes been on an LF milk since the begginning of January...

- the main one is the sleeping...it was always a prob before the LF milk and once she started the milk she was happily taking two good naps a day...over the last few weeks tho these have once again dwindled down to barely anything.  She starts to settle - cuddles herlovey while sucking her thumb, turns on her side...but minutes later - most of the time between 5and 10 mins later she cries out, flips onto her stomach and starts crying

- she has gas back that smells like when an adult has passed wind (after eating something dodgy - yes it can smell that bad!)

- Her stools have gone from being watery and explosive to being yellowy and normal when she first started the LF milk and have now gone green again and are mostly hard...last week one had black sesame seed like things it it...shes also going 3 or 4 times a day (like she was before the LF milk)

- Shes had a blocked/ runny nose since birth - she gets colds but once they are gone the snotty nose is still there. This cleared up for about a week on starting the LF milk but came back pretty quickly...

Im sorry i wrote more than i intended to  :-[ im just not sure what to do anymore...could it be an allergy to something else in the milk or is it justthe way she is? could it be just a sleep or teething problem? please help i dont know what to do anymore......
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 15:55:25 pm by *Vicki* »
Mummy to

Megan Marjorie Alice 12/07/03
and
Cerys Elizabeth Rose 29/05/07

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Please help me to discern whats wrong :(
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 16:52:40 pm »
No experience here but is it possible she is milk protein intolerant rather than lactose intolerant? Or could she be reacting to lactose in the solids she is having?

{{{HUGS}}} though.

Laura

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 19:12:24 pm »
could be....didn't think of the solids bit although i do stay away from the obvious ones.....how can you tell milk protein intolerancefrom lactose intolerance?

thanks hun :-*
Mummy to

and

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 20:06:24 pm »
I'd go back to your GP and see what they say. I would think the only way to know would be to go totally milk free in food and an elemental formula and see if that has an effect. Have you looked at the MPI threads, they would tell you more than I can! I know from the reflux we battle with that sleeping is the first thing out of the window so it's not that you are doing things wrong but she is too uncomfortable to sleep properly - not much help I know.

Laura

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 20:50:17 pm »
No that is helpful - very!  :-*

the thing is im not sure shes uncomfortable - kwim? if i def thought it was pain id have no probs but its dicerning whther it is or not thats the prob...
Mummy to

and

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 20:41:34 pm »
Def sounds like it could be a milk protein intolerance.  I would ask to to try a different formula and see if that helps.  I know that the first step is usually Nutramigen or Alimentum.  Then if still no improvemnt then Neocate or Elecare.  Abby was on Nutramigen until 4 months and then we switched to Neocate.  HUGE improvement!! 

I had Abby tested for milk and soy protein intolerance through a lab in Dallas, TX.  Other moms that had their los tested.  It was a simple stool test that I had to overnight there.  It came back positive for both.  She had already been on Neocate at this time but it gave me the piece of mind. 

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:40:02 am »
I agree with pp and think it would definately be worth changing formula. Your lo may be ok with a hydrolysed formula like nutramigen or may need a elemental formula like neocate. My son can't tolerate nutramigen but does great with neocate. I hope you can get a change of formula soon to see if it helps.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:23:02 pm »
So all was good for 2m on lactose free milk?  What has changed since then? 

Lactose is hidden in a lot of places you wouldn't first think, if you thought things were as they should be following the initial change to LF milk, perhaps there is some someplace in her current diet?

Alimentum or Nutramigen are both worth a shot as neither contains Lactose.  I'd go with the ready to feed types as the studies done of the effectiveness of these formulas were performed on the RTF type, and not the powdered type.  I'd also give it some time before deciding it's not working, it takes time for proteins to clear the body etc.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to try a switch to one of these to see? 

About her nose have you tried Zyrtec?  Naturally wait and see if switching formula clears things up with her nose... but I know quite a few babies from my BC are on Zyrtec and have great results.  Perhaps something to talk to you pedi about.

Hope things improve, I'm going to go look at your other threads and see if anything jumps out.  Hugs.

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 20:58:43 pm »
thanks everyone... :-*

Zoey - her diarrhea thankfully has been gone since going on LF milk but the sleepless days andfussing are back....but tbh im not sure if itsthe milk....just seems some of the symptoms that started to disappear are back again kwim?
Mummy to

and

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 21:55:46 pm »
Is it possible that it could be something else in her diet? Have you added any new foods recently?

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 20:19:31 pm »
No not really  :-\ least im sure i havent.... :-\ admittedly i was using more baby food jars/prepackaged stuff but i always check the labels for milk...my GP said to steer clear tho and just continue with my own homemade food tho coz they can contain binding agents or something that are derivative of milk.... :(
Mummy to

and

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 21:10:20 pm »
:(

Maybe this will help you?

Hidden Lactose

Common Foods Containing Hidden Lactose
Common foods that contain hidden lactose include:

* Bread and other baked goods
    * Processed breakfast cereals
    * Instant potatoes, soups, and breakfast drinks
    * Margarine
    * Lunch meats (other than kosher)
    * Salad dressings
    * Candies and other snacks
    * Mixes for pancakes, biscuits, and cookies
    * Powdered meal-replacement supplements.

Some products labeled non-dairy, such as powdered coffee creamer and whipped toppings, may actually include ingredients that are derived from milk (and therefore contain lactose).

Learn to read food labels with care, looking not only for milk and lactose, but also for words such as whey, curds, milk by-products, dry milk solids, and non-fat dry milk powder. If any of these words are listed on a label, the product contains lactose.

More hugs!

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 21:12:31 pm »
thanks Zoey!!!!

:-*

im gonna print that off  :-*  :-*
Mummy to

and

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 21:13:38 pm »
have u been referred to a dietician vucki?
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 21:28:06 pm »
no i havent yet...but HV says she spoken to one so already and he's said he's willing to prescribe nutramigen if necessary...

I like my new name  ;D
Mummy to

and