Author Topic: Drank milk from someone else's sippy  (Read 4119 times)

Offline appletree

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 51
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:10:07 am »
Bella got someone else's sippy at school & drank regular milk instead of her rice milk.  :-\  I gave her some tummy drops as they called and told me right away what happened. They're not sure how much she drank. So far, so good. It's been about 7 hrs. since it happened. She fell asleep for bedtime ok not too fussy. What if it doesn't effect her at all? Does this mean maybe we could try yogurt, milk, etc.?  I know the soy irritated her a few months back when I retried it but haven't touched regular dairy since all the problems about 6 months ago.
Wendee <3

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Drank milk from someone else's sippy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 05:22:48 am »
First, Be glad they called you and told you.  Someone told me once at a pre-school or daycare, the kid got someone else's milk and seemed fine, so they just kept giving her milk day after day, never told the parents.

Anyhow I would give it until tom. to see how she is.  Also it was just 1 sip, so may not really affect her to see a big change.

I don't know your history, but is she on rice milk because of an allergy or intolerance?  How long has she been on rice milk and are you also not giving her any dairy at all, even hidden???

My first son was on rice milk and no dairy at all (even hidden) from 13/14 months to 18 months old. 

After his body had time to heal and I guess he grew out of his intolerance he was fine with any type of milk.

He was on in for a major intolerance, not an actual allergy though.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline appletree

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:46:12 am »
They aren't sure how much she actually drank.  Not sure if it was/is intolerance or an allergy -she'd have SEVERE stomach pains at night where she'd scream for hours, arching her back, real tears, etc. It was really bad with cheese.  I'll see how it goes and get back to you. Just thought it was weird that it hasn't effected her yet but if it was only a sip or 2 then maybe it wasn't enough, KWIM?
Wendee <3

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:01:40 pm »
Please keep us posted.  Her system may have had time to heal and can handle milk now OR her system may be healed and that was not enough to do any damage and a lot of milk will.

I would deft. start wit yogurt and cheese first though, not straight to milk.

Good Luck
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 19:37:27 pm »
If you decide on a dairy trial I would take it very slowly. If you decide to go for it I wish you lots of luck.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline appletree

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 23:02:45 pm »
Ha, Kelly, you always make me have 2nd thoughts.  ;)
Wendee <3

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 13:07:56 pm »
If you take it slowly though you should be ok. It is a difficult decision to make. I am not sure what I would do in your position. I know James is still allergic to dairy as he reacts by just coming into contact with it so no point in even trialing it here.

Kelly

Offline appletree

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:14:06 am »
I decided to just try yogurt & see what happened. So far, nothing. She just loved eating it again. I'll try the yogurt again tomorrow & see if there's any changes. Although, it's still early tonite and the tummy aches could happen in the mid of night  - we'll see.
Wendee <3

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 02:41:59 am »
Good Luck.  You could also try Lactaid Whole Milk first before going to straight Whole Milk.  We did for a while with my ds1.  Also there is one that has more calcium in it than regular milk. 
Wendy -

Offline appletree

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:50:33 am »
Thanks, Wendy!  ;D
Wendee <3

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 07:11:05 am »
I am glad everything is going well so far. I will keep my fingers crossed that it continues that way. Yogurt was a good choice for starting with. If things continue to go ok with the yogurt you could try aa little hard cheese next and see how that goes. I really hope that Bella can tolerate dairy now.

Kelly

Offline appletree

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 01:13:49 am »
We did yogurt again today with no problems so far. Fingers crossed.
Wendee <3

Offline appletree

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 03:53:26 am »
 :P :P :P :P BAD,BAD,BAD :-X :-X :-X (Kelly, you are so wise!)

So, there were no problems til Friday night and YIKES!!!!!!!! screaming tummy aches all night and all Saturday, too.  Weird how that happens - like it needs to build up in her system to cause a problem.  ::) Ok, so now I feel like a bad mom. I won't try soy (ever again) and no dairy for a very very long time. Do you think she'll ever grow into it?
Wendee <3

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 13:01:28 pm »
Sorry Bella had a bad reaction - but yes, it's quite common for it to take a bit of time to build up in the system. She may grow into it but I personally wouldn't even try again until she's at least 2. And when you do try I'd go really slowly - like a teaspoon of yogurt to start, then building up from there very slowly (two teaspoons the second day, etc). Also I can't remember - is she on probiotics? A good dairy free probiotic may help her digestive system mature.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline appletree

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 19:38:41 pm »
She is not on probiotics but maybe I need to go get her some? You think that may help?
Wendee <3