Author Topic: Should I stop weaning?  (Read 4028 times)

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Like your heart walking round outside your body
Re: Should I stop weaning?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 19:22:29 pm »
I think the only way to know for sure what's causing the problem is to go back to basics, but you must do what you feel is right for you. I don't think that there are any foods that are foolproof, allergy-wise - anything can cause problems for a particular baby.

I think I started out doubting that Kitty's problems would ever be as bad as say, Kelly's James' are, and I still hope they're not, having heard some of what she has gone through with him. But Kitty's problems have become a lot worse than I'd anticipated, sadly. I think we all hope there will be an easy pain-free solution to the allergy problems, and that if we just do the one 'right,' magic thing, it'll all clear up and go away, but it's not always that easy.

I knew Kitty had problems with milk, but had no idea that she was also allergic to dust, cats, horses...

I think your lo is small enough to not miss the solids as much as you think he might. I'd go for filling him up with the ground rice/Neocate mix instead for the meantime. It'd only be for a few weeks at the most, just to get his skin back to a good state. Otherwise, you're in the situation where the eczema's not clearing and you've no idea what's causing it, because there are already too many foods in the mix, with no idea which ones might be problematic.

I'll butt out now, because this is obviously just my view and I do think you need to make the right decisions for you at the stage you're at now. I do wish you loads of luck though. Keep us all posted on your progress, as I know we're all rooting for you and hoping your lo is soon all peachy again. Lots of love!

Offline mommyoflogan

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 00:44:10 am »
Don't worry about the hydrocortisone cream.  My dr. prescribed a 2% cream for my sons eczema and said to use it everywhere except his face.  It worked great for us.  I just used the 1% over-the-counter brand on his face.  But of course check with your dr.

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 20:40:12 pm »
Hi Natasha - I stand with Kitty's mom on this one! My DS is 7 months now, and the past week or so I've stopped with solids, and he barely noticed.  He took in a wee bit of extra milk but not as much as I expected, and of course that's great, so no worry on that.  I don't have something as difficult as eczema to deal with, but also not as easy to spot and be a "concrete" reaction - with DS it's just digestive and bowel issues.  I did two full days with no solids, although was prepared to go as long as it took for his poops to go back to what are normal for him, and for me to feel that he wasn't in tummy discomfort. Fortunately it only took 2 days. I then did a day on one food only, one that I knew for sure had not caused any problems (avocado).  Then tried one of the suspected problem foods (pears) and sure enough the tummy pains, whinging, wriggling, lots of trouble with his poops, etc etc.  The next couple of days just avocado again and then tried another suspected problem food (plums) and he was fine. Day after tomorrow we are onto blueberries which I also think may be a problem. 

I don't think that at 5 months he will miss the food nutrition-wise, although he may miss the fun of it, and it depends how "set" your routine is.  We are pretty "scheduled" here and it's his favourite part of the day, but DS didn't seem to notice the lack of food! 

I've also had to cut out rice cereal completely as it constipated him really really badly.

I know this link is only from Wikipedia and so of course the validity of it can be questioned, but a good starting point for something that "sums it up" is this link on pollen allergies and how they can affect food allergies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

So it may at least give you something to think about if you know your DS reacts to one fruit, on what some other possible reactins may be.

HTH!

Offline natashacs

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • Talk to the Press
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 08:09:42 am »
Were extremely scheduled and he usually gobbles his solids, but yesterday he wasn't so bothered. Actually, we are going to nursery together today so i am sure that will distract him enough to not notice. I am terrified the nights will get really bad if i stop solids, but them am still doing one night feed anyway.
I'll see if goes ok today without solids then I think I will try stopping solids.
We changed our washing powder to eco balls which have no detergent, no perfuem, they are basiaclly little stones. Rubbish at cleaning out carrot stains. Anyway, the eczema went slightly better and I thought 'great this is it, we'r eon the home run.' I spent Saturday night washing EVERYTHING he has (great saturday night eh). Then woke up this morning and he has a huge thick swathe of eczema on his cheek. He also has two big scratches on his forehead and nose, prob from trying to scratch his cheek and missing. He looks awful. The people at nursery will prob think I'm a terrible mum when they see him.
I'lll also go back to the GP about steroid cream
thanks for your help girls

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 13:31:42 pm »
It is so hard when you are dealing with eczema as there are so many potential triggers. I hope your ds manges ok without the solids as I really think it would give you a good opportunity to see if his skin does clear on neocate only and you can then start food trials.

I am sure the nursery will not think you are a bad mumy by the way. Your son being flared with eczema is not a reflection on your parenting skills. It is impossible to stop them from scratching 100% of the time and it is physically and mentally draining looking after a baby/child with eczema. It is worth all the hard work though.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker