Author Topic: Help! My baby will only dream feed  (Read 16298 times)

Offline supercoop

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 18, 2009, 00:31:51 am »
I have the perfect baby.. expect for one huge problem.

My baby will only eat in his sleep.

It started when he was a baby.  He had really bad gas, that used to keep him (and us) up all night.
He is bottle fed on a lactose free formula..(We tired 4 formula's)
when he sees a bottle he screams as it reminds him of pain..

He lost a lot of weight so we began to dream feed him..

Now at 4 months he is over the gas but  refuses to take a bottle awake..
we've even tried letting him go hungry.. at most he will take in 1 ounce awake when he is thirsty..
he puts himself to sleep and then we feed him..

as he is getting older he is sleeping less and now eating less because of it.
In his sleep he drinks 7 ounces every four hours..

what can we do to make him drink when he is awake...

thanks

SuperCoop mum

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Help! My baby will only dream feed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 13:09:10 pm »
{{HUGS}} to you feeding problems are so hard. My DS caused us no end of worry and his little sister isn't any better ::).

You say your LO suffered with gas and is now on a lactose free formula. How is he on this formula - how are his nappies? His behaviour - crying at the sight of a bottle, only taking 1 or 2oz when you know they must be hungry and feeding well at night are pretty typical reflux behaviours. If you haven't already have a look here http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0.

As you tried different formulas, which I assume he had difficulty with have you considered the possibility of milk/soy protien intolerance? There is some info here http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=66236.0. MSPI can be a cause of reflux in a majority of babies.

Have you seen a Dr about his feeding issues? If not I would get an appointment as soon as you can, if you have been go back. Screaming at the sight of bottles and feeding better asleep isn't "normal" behaviour and needs looking into by a Dr to help your LO be more comfortable.

HTH and let us know what you think and how you get on.

Laura

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 20:38:29 pm »
Laura, has given you some fantastic advice.  Just wanted to drop off some hugs  :-*
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline supercoop

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 16:50:28 pm »
thanks for the support.. I have been to a doctor.. every week it feels.. the doctors says he will grown out of it.. and put him on solids at 3 months as he was losing weight..

so it's not the formula.. he just now doesn't like milk in general.. soy or normal.. as the gas and reflux is now gone.. ( now 5 months)..  but you are right i think he did have reflux..

he is now putting on weight.. but still won't take a bottle awake..
he loves chamomile tea though..  and will drink it awake.. so he get hydrated..
just want him to have the nutrients..

just wondering how long i can continue to feed him in his sleep!

Offline Lolly

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 18:04:44 pm »
Can you see a different Dr or get a referral to a peadiatrician? From what you have described it really doesn't sound like his reflux has gone.

Have you started solids? I know Drs sometimes advise this but there is more calories in milk oz for oz than early baby foods so milk is what he needs to gain weight.

Laura

Offline mini_egg282

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 01:24:50 am »
I wonder if you could try a very different bottle/nipple combo so that he doesn't recognize it...or a sippy cup, though it's probably pretty early for that. You might have to try a different feeding position too to trick him. Prop him up in the corner of the couch or use a reclining baby chair...And maybe don't try feeding him from a bottle when he's awake for a week or so - might be long enough for him to erase the bad memory...just some ideas...

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:58:22 am »
It sounds gross but since he'll take the chamomile tea could you try mixing formula into it little by little until he is taking more formula while awake? Sort of how we transition our los to cow's milk? Maybe gradually he will accept it.

Offline mini_egg282

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 14:02:31 pm »
I just realized last night that I am basically in the same boat as you. I practically force fed my baby when he was teething and now he won't drink from the bottle unless he is asleep :(

Today I am planning to just keep offering it to him every 5-10 minutes while he is awake, without pushing him to take it. Eventually he will get hungry enough to drink it. He will drink a little bit from a sippy cup though, so I'm going to offer that too. Hopefully that doesn't hinder my efforts at the bottle.

Please let me know if you find something that works for you because I could use the help too! We did three dreamfeeds last night between 8:30 and 11:00 pm, but I think we need to stick to one. I considered feeding him during his nap yesterday but I'm glad I didn't as it seems that would just make problems worse...

Offline supercoop

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 00:19:53 am »
good news is.. the doctor was right.. he has finally grown out of it now that he is 6 1/2 months.. now that he is on solids ( doctor suggested we start him early) .. and finally he taking a bottle..   he needs constant distraction though to drink 6 ounces.. singing, open window.. and now we use educational video's..  he gets so engrossed in the video.. he just sucks away

now I'm having trouble getting him to self sooth.. and go to sleep without the swing.. tackling one problem at a time,,

Offline rwtslo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 19:30:59 pm »
We are having the same issue.  Our 4 month old would not take a bottle unless he's asleep. How did you solve the issue for your little one? Or did he just grow out of it? Thank you!

Offline Lolly

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 22:20:21 pm »
This thread is 7 years old!

If you need some help you need to start your own post and give us some information about your baby's routine and current feeds.

Laura

Offline grapefruit_717

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 02:04:54 am »
We are having the same issue.  Our 4 month old would not take a bottle unless he's asleep. How did you solve the issue for your little one? Or did he just grow out of it? Thank you!

omg i'm in the same boat! 4 month old and have been dream fed all her meals for 2 weeks!