Author Topic: Anyone Want to Talk about the 2-1 Transition? Thread #10  (Read 66566 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
Re: Anyone Want to Talk about the 2-1 Transition? Thread #10
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 23:56:53 pm »
I totally agree calebsmummy!
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline Flightmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 00:12:48 am »
Same here...i just found out recently that she also had a television show in England. How lucky you all were to have that!! Wonder if there is any saved episodes on DVD or maybe online somewhere? Anyways, in effort to stay true to her teachings, i'm trying to rely more on tired cues....even when they're not so obvious!! lol!!

Offline Flightmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 03:45:45 am »
Well, i think the OT monster is rearing it's ugly head around here....had a short NW about an hour after bedtime, he resettle in just a few minutes, but still quite uncommon for him, so there's definitely some tweaking in order...just don't know what or how!!

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 05:55:43 am »
Jo - I wouldnt worry about NW's unless you have to intervene, dont let them stress you out, sometimes babies just make crying noises in their sleep. as long as he was able to go back to sleep by himself I wouldnt even consider it a NW

well DH babysat while i went to the dentist, had Caleb asleep at 4 hours 10mins A time and he slept 1.5 hours then we had a 3 hour 50min A time (he fell asleep in the car) and he is still asleep now after 30mins, i will let him sleep the full 45mins and then wake him up to preserve a bedtime.

one question I have though, is it ok to have long AM nap/short PM naps everyday except for one day (that day being Sunday's at church) or should i try to make all days teh same? we really like the long AM nap as it means we dont also have a short A time following so we can go out and do stuff with him, it also means if hes going to miss the PM nap at least hes had a full nap in the morning and we also like the short evenings before bedtime so he hasnt had such a long A time that hes cranky by bedtime, im just worried that it will all go wonky if Ive got him on one routine everyday and a different routine on a Sunday, what do you all think oh wise ladies?

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 08:13:01 am »
 Well I think you should just take each day as it comes, I know we do. I guess it would be ideal to have consistancy and have every day the same but for me I just think the end goal is 'one deliciously long afternoon nap.' However you get there doesn't really matter IMHO.

The other day Brodie had a rubbish am nap (25 mins :o). He then had his first ever long afternoon nap since this all began. Due to that I could stretch out bedtime from 6pm to 7pm, he then slept until 7.15am. This meant I could 'push out' am nap and just do a tiny CN later, we then went back to 6pm bedtime as the CN was so short, but it as the closest to 1 nap we have been. Does all that make sense? I can see on hindsight I should have done more with that now but was just confused!

Now I am going to try and stretch out that AM A time, if it doesn't work then I am going to work my butt off to get a long afternoon nap out of him. Stretch bedtime like before, have a later morning wake up and then shoot for the long am nap again  later in the am.

Blethering now but it makes sense to me, basically I am trying to shoot for 1 x 13 hours day then an eleven hour day the next day to mop up any OT that may be lurking in the shadows.

OK, really am blethering now. Breakfast time at the zoo. Hope everyone has a naptastic 2-1 day!

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 13:52:52 pm »
calebsmummy, I think agree in a way.  We do a short am long pm nap on Sundays only because of church.  I also really don't like bedtime pushed back as selfish as that feels sometimes.  And I'm never guaranteed a longer pm nap with a shorter am nap (I hate those days).  I think it depends on Caleb really.  Is he flexible?  My LO is very flexible and I don't think her on day of short am and long pm nap really effects her.

So I have a friend whose LO is 10 days older than mine and she goes entirely on sleep cues.  She hasn't even read the baby whisperer.  Her LO takes great naps everyday and though he has shorter nights around 10-10.5 hours, she stresses very little about his sleep.  I think a lot of it is personality too.  Her LO is easy going and so is she.  Still some days I wish I was as easy going and didn't stress so much, and others I'm glad for 12 hour nights:)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 13:54:58 pm by nauvoo06 »
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 23:35:03 pm »
well we had a 10 hour night last night, a few NW's too, but today hes been all sneezy and had a runny nose, dont know if its a cold or hayfever yet, im sure hoping its not a cold (in the summer time thats just plain nasty!) and im also hoping he doesnt suffer from hayfever, of course this will all impact on sleeps *sigh* im sticking to long AM nap for a couple of days and seeing how he goes, i think one day of the week where hes doing a short AM nap shouldnt put him out too much (im hoping not anyway)

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 23:36:04 pm »
nauvoo, i forgot to ask, your friend, how long does she let her little one sleep? im really interested in going back to sleep cues only but just wondering how much sleep to give when doing this, does she just let her child sleep for as long as he wants or wakes him up?

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 01:03:02 am »
so it looks like a cold to me, he woke up after an hour of sleep, crying, got him up and hes sneezing, had a runny nose and hes a bit cranky, but not too bad. Im def only going to be able to watch his cues if he is sick, cant do A times with a sniffly baby :)

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 01:15:16 am »
calebsmummy,
yeah, my friend just lets her LO sleep as long as he wants.  The only time she wakes him up is when she has to be somewhere.  Granted the kid will take a good nap most of the time even if he is OT.  However, he has been rarely known to do 30 minutes when OT.  I just get so jealous of other moms whose LO's will sleep great when OT.  I also have a friend 4 houses down from me whose LO is, also, 10 days older than my LO and she does the same with her LO.  Just watches tired cues and she gets some serious naps from her LO.  But her LO is certainly one of those who will make up on sleep when she gets the chance.  It's just not fair.
I also thought of going just on tired cues and well it gave me a 30 minute nap this am!  And like I said before, short am naps don't always produce good pm naps in this house, even when I adjust A times.  We had a 1 hour pm nap and she was cranky, cranky the rest of the day.  So I will continue to watch the clock and rely on it.  It is reliable about 75% of the time:)  I just can't see the tired cues until it's too late.  Major bummer but that's how it is.
Calebsmummy, I saw your video on "The Couch" and it was adorable!
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline VikO

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 01:41:45 am »
I know it's really not ideal, but I think I need to go "cold Turkey" going 2-1 with my 11mth old.  AM nap is proving a real struggle but with an almost 3 year old on school holidays i can't really spend 10-11.15am hanging around the house waiting for DS to wake up before we can go play!  (Plus mummy goes demented if she doesn't get out the house!)  So, any cold turkey advice?  If I do early lunch for DS and get him to sleep around 12noon how long should I be aiming for him to sleep? He used to do 1.5hrs PM nap, should I be extending this with Sh/pat now (his preferred sleep trainer!)  Then give him a catnap (if I can!) until he gets used to it? 
Thanks, Vicki

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 01:51:40 am »
Nauvoo - thanks, it seems such a long time ago that Caleb was that little!!!

Hi Vicki, from what ive heard from other Mums if you do the cold turkey version you need to have around a 3 hour nap in the middle of the day and possibly even an early bedtime, then ive also heard that if you do go Cold turkey you should still allow a couple of days of 2 naps to happen so that OT doesnt come back and bite you on the bum

Offline Flightmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 04:34:13 am »
Well, i'm also thinking of going cold turkey myself...nothing else I do seems to be working and the fact that he is able to do much longer A's these days got me thinking of doing the one nap. I just don't know if he'll sleep long enough to get away with it.
  Tonight's bedtime episode was enough to drive me nuts though, and really when I think of it, the last few nights (bedtimes) have been leading up to it...DS is usually the type to go down awake, roll over with his lovey and be asleep within a few minutes, never a peep...if's he OT, he might roll around a bit more and struggle slightly, but still never any crying...i know, we're lucky...until this week. He's been escalating to more of a whinning, fussing and taking forever to settle...tonight was full on, blow your ears out crying...i tried to settle him and he wouldn't calm down until I picked him up and cuddled...then put him back down and he fussed a bit, but finally went to sleep at 8:45pm!!! Officially, our latest bedtime EVER!! I suspect the late afternoon naps aren't working for him, but he just won't nap until 3:30-45pm, even with a 45 minute am nap. Should I cut that am nap even more to maybe 30 minutes? Overall, he's only getting about 2 hours day sleep, so could it be OT that's causing him to freak out at night.
  Today, his pm nap was from 3:45-4:45, i had to wake him and then I tried bedtime around 8pm, but I really don't think he was tired...he usually puts him head down on my shoulder as i'm walking to his crib, but tonight, he was up and alert and still babbling..is it possible to be UT for bedtime? Ughh, i really don't know anymore......and now with such a late bedtime, he'll most likely sleep later tomorrow morning and then we're back on the late day sked again...i'm thinking of waking him, but just not sure what time, as I want to allow for enough sleep that he doesn't get OT or feel that he's had a short night.
  If anyone's got any tips or advice, i'm all ears!!!

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 06:06:50 am »
Flightmommy, im convinced, our boys are clones of each other, we are having the same issue!! last night it was 8.40pm, officially our latest too! today we had a one hour AM nap (he woke himself up) and then fought the PM nap so bad that we eventually went for a drive just to get him to sleep 30mins, I have no idea whats going on, i did try the one nap cold turkey but boy im not doing that again, it led to a disastrous recovery period.

I think for your Caleb that 2 hours sleep per day isnt enough and hes building up OT. how much A time are you having before your short nap?

Offline Flightmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 19:48:42 pm »
Calebsmummy, our A time before the am nap is somewhere in the 3h15-30 range, but of course, Caleb is really the one in charge of that. Like i've said, he's been doing this thing where he is practically falling asleep in my arms during windown, and then the second I put him down.....the party starts! Babbling and laughing....so i'm thinking he's UT..tired enough to close him eyes if i'm holding him, but not tired enough to fall asleep on his own..KWIM?
  Anyways, after last night's meltdown at bedtime, he STTN until 7:40am, i had intended to wake him, but then realized that anything earlier than this would make for a short night and so I let him sleep..he woke on his own. We had to go out this morning, so he had his am nap in the car from 11:05 until 11:50. Ideally, i would love an A time of 3 hours after the am nap in order to get the pm nap started early, but he just won't go down any earlier than 3.30-45 A time, even after a shorter am nap. I'll try again today, but not expecting miracles.
  On the upside.....Caleb is FINALLY CRAWLING!!! Yay!! it just happened yesterday morning, we were so shocked as, at this point, had just forgotten about the idea and thought he might just go straight to walking. Anyways, we are so proud of him and it's just the cutest thing to watch him move around.....as a bonus, he should be more tired right?? lol!! wishful thinking!!
  Calebsmummy, what kind of night did your Caleb do after his late bedtime?