Author Topic: is he intolerant to gluten?  (Read 3300 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
is he intolerant to gluten?
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:31:31 am »
Hi Ladies,

I have not eaten gluten since DS2 was 3 weeks old.  He is now 13 weeks.  3 days ago I decided to trial spelt bread whilst holding everything else on my elimination diet constant.  I have been eating spelt bread for 3 days, no other gluten as yet. 
I have been waiting for a poo, today got the first one,  I am confused,  its green, but with some mustard seeds and not mucuousy. It is very thin and came out with a smelly fart and egg smelling gas.    What do you think, is this indicative of intolerance to gluten.  Usualy his poos are yellow with mustard seeds and very thin, often coming with farts anyway,  He often does egg smelling farts too..  My milk supply is normal, not high.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
Re: is he intolerant to gluten?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:31:43 am »
fwiw i've been told to look for mucous rather than worry about the colour. interested to see what others say tho. bet the bread tasted good ;)

Offline EloysH

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:44:11 am »
its has been the best thing since sliced bread  ;)

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:06:10 am »
its has been the best thing since sliced bread  ;)

;D

Honestly, I wouldn't be very concerned about it.  If the only change is that it's a little green, I would continue on with it and keep track of any other changes (fussiness/sleeplessness/rashes/mucous/etc.).

Hopefully the trial will yield positive results!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:48:11 am »
thanks!  we got another green poo this time with a touch of mucus in it tonight.  Also, his typical time to be refluxy is between 4-5am, and both days he has been refluxing and awake for a while after feeding  at those times.  Still not convinced though.  (in denial anyway).

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 07:55:31 am »
hmmm that sounds more like intolerance symptoms now :-\ nothing else changed in diet??

any ideas what else you can trial gluten in and not wheat? k seems to have settled a little the last 2 days as in not spitting up so much, i'm crossing fingers and toys that the med increase was enuf and will consider a trial if he is stable for a week. i am sooooo over diet restrictions and am dreading salicylate free if that is needed :(

Offline EloysH

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:29:37 am »
well his reflux seems to slightly worse, so just waiting for a poo to see of they are getting worse.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 04:27:00 am »
yellow poo with small amount of mucus strings.  So gluten is a "no no".  Stopping gluten today.  :-[

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 04:34:43 am »
oh no :( if he's gluten intolerant does that mean he is coeliac?? (however you spell it...) pretty sure you can test for that.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 19:45:55 pm »
yellow poo with small amount of mucus strings.  So gluten is a "no no".  Stopping gluten today.  :-[

:(  sorry to hear..

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 21:20:51 pm »
What a bummer, Eloise.

oh no :( if he's gluten intolerant does that mean he is coeliac?? (however you spell it...) pretty sure you can test for that.

Not necessarily I believe.
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 22:15:13 pm »
I am pretty sure they grow out of it with the reflux. There's a test but you need to eating gluten before you have the test. I wouldn't bother testing until hes obviously not growing out of it.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 04:30:38 am »
elo, he is fine with soy isnt he?? not sure what bread substitutes you've found but there is a gluten free bread by country life (available at coles or woolies) that actually resembles 'real' bread (i'm sure YKWIM, lol). i stopped it a while back tho as there is a soy product in it. also, i eat rice bread or buckwheat bread by naturis (available at health food store) which isnt very nice as a bread but is pretty good toasted with dairy free butter, etc.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 11:41:01 am »
The past month or so I've been completely off the soy too. Before that I was still eating hidden soy and soy sauce. I have not been super careful with hidden soy, though but been avoiding most.   So I wait to give the bread a go.

I am actually tossing up which food challenge to do next it's a toss up between tomato paste & tomato puree and soy, or the onion family. I am a little scared about what could happen with the soy. Tomato paste would add a whole new dimension to my life, so would onion. I am worried about a possible relfux flare up though due to the acid and also the "sals" content. I think onions have the best chance of no reaction.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 12:17:31 pm »
When are you planning on starting the challenge?  I would wait until the diapers are back to normal, it could take a couple of weeks.  Also, you may want to pick something a little more nutritionally dense.  I don't know if you are on a total elimination diet - but if so you may want to consider something like avocado? 

:-*