Author Topic: Question about MPI  (Read 1149 times)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
Question about MPI
« on: July 19, 2010, 18:43:16 pm »
Hi all-
DD is 4mo and it is seeming more like she might have a MPI.  At first, I stopped drinking glasses of milk as it seemed to make her phlegmy, spit up more and also just cry more.  I could have yogurt and a little cream in my coffee. 

Now today, at her feeding after I had yogurt and coffee, she spit out very thick spit while eating. It also made her cry. 

I have also noticed patches on her elbows that look like maybe eczema.

She does have reflux and is on meds

Can an MPI start showing its head this late in the game?  How do I know if I should start to eliminate and what to eliminate

I have more questions, but DS, is trying to "swing" DD and I may not have to worry about an intolerance if I don't go rescue her!!

scarlettsmom

Re: Question about MPI
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 18:38:55 pm »
Hi,

Yes, unfortunately MPI can show up at this time.  Not that it hasn't been there all along, just that it hasn't impacted the LO as obviously from the get go.  But if it is indeed MPI the accumulation of the milk protein will now start to show symptoms.

It's hard to diagnose solely on symptoms because the only sure way to know is to eliminate it from your diet and see how LO is impacted afterwards (can take 2-4 weeks).  If you are noticing the correlation though and it seems to be pointing in the MPI direction, then cutting out all dairy (obvious and hidden, like whey/casseins) is what will give your LO relief and also determine if there is an intolerance/allergy.

((hugs)) it can be frustrating trying to figure out. 

How is she doing now?

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 19:36:37 pm »
Well, she is doing good.
Here is what I see...I had noticed I had not been drinking much milk, so I drank a few glasses over a few days, and she got really miserable..This was over july 4th weekend.
So I have stayed away from straight milk, but still have some cheese, yogurt, and about 2T of milk in coffee.

I have noticed the last 2 days the feed after breakfast she seems to get very fussy while eating and pops on and off.
I also noticed some very dry patches on her elbows like eczema.

The morning feed also coincides with when she is due for her reflux med-so maybe just uncomfortable from meds being gone?  I started to think this bc seh never is fussy for any other feed.  And the dry patches might be explained by me buying a woomibe and I did not wash it before I put her in it-to desperate as she was getting out of every swaddle and driving herself nuts!!

So I don't know, maybe? I am going to cut more milk items out of diet and see if that helps?

I don't know about this touchy girl!!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 19:43:33 pm »
Reflux can be one of the main symptoms of MPI so it might not be that the symptoms are just showing now, it could be that it has shown itself all along but was thought to be GERD caused reflux when in fact it is MPI caused reflux, iykwim?

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 20:15:55 pm »
Would this also maybe dissrupt her sleep? The last 2 days her morning nap is awful!!! after a good night sleep
today she woke after 25 min

sorry 1 hand typing