Author Topic: Elimination Diet  (Read 7298 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Elimination Diet
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 20:59:24 pm »
poos are different - yellow- brown but very runny and watery
not sure what age your LO is but that sounds like a good breastfed baby's poo!!!

We are doing dairy free (I can't take cold cows milk and DS1 is on dairy free diet) - DS2 seems to get mucousy with dairy so trying dairy free (and soya as DS1 can't tolerate that) ..... I got the dr to give us Neocate as a back up for times I can't feed him (if out, sore, having a lie in!!) - Oliver took it no problem :) (me and DH went out for a meal!!!). 
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 21:09:43 pm »
LO is 11 weeks old. No, unfortunately, it's not good. Just had a look at the poos page in here and hers is definitely very musucy. It's so watery that it runs if you move the nappy...

I keep obsessing what if this diet doesn't work either? Will she ever stop crying? It breaks my heart to see her in so much pain.
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 16:50:05 pm »
Megan did Eloise give you a good link to an ED that was pretty comprehensive?

Yes she did: http://failsafediet.wordpress.com/the-rpah-elimination-diet-failsafe/

I thought it was in this post somewhere, but I guess I'm getting confused with posts. This isn't the diet that I'm doing after all tho, I decided to just start with the major problem foods. I know egg must be one problem for Milo - I ate them yesterday and he screamed for 4 hours last night and threw up three times throughout the night :(

Megan

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 18:51:56 pm »
Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. HAve you heard of this diet? Is it any good?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041200.asp

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 20:58:25 pm »
That's kinda what I've been doing... I started with the turkey, squash, and rice that he suggested, tho I didn't eat any turkey b/c I didn't have any and b/c the only turkey you can get in the store here has broth in it that probably has soy, but almost definitely has some form of MSG. I saw improvement after only 3 days and really felt I needed to add in more nutritious foods... my supply had lowered a bit and I was getting *really* sick of rice. Rather than add one or two foods every 4 days as Dr. Sears suggests, I decided to just go for it and add in everything except the common allergens, plus citrus, tomato, and chemicals (such as MSG, etc.) So now I eat everything except corn, soy, dairy, wheat, egg, nuts, citrus/tomato and chemicals. I tried to introduce egg yesterday and we had an awful night, so I won't be eating that again anytime soon...

FWIW, if your daughter's poo went from green to yellow, imo you're *definitely* on the right track, even if it's still a bit watery. I think both my kids had watery poo, and while Milo may have some intolerances, Ellen never did.

Megan

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 21:17:47 pm »
So you only had squash, and rice for 3 days? No meat at all? I don't think I could survive on that. Did you have rice bread or just pure rice?
Yes, the poos aren't green anymore but she is crying more! A lot more. Like 5-6 hrs a day. Surely that is not normal. You feel her tummy spasming and then the crying starts.

How do you know what has chemicals in it? And what is MSG? I am so new to all this, I have no idea.

Today I have had rice bread with banana, potatoes, sweet potato, turkey (out from a supermarket so probably not good, right?) and a pear.

How does this sound?

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 21:56:12 pm »
Eating low in chemicals means low amounts of salicylates, amines and glutamates as well as no addtives or preservatives.  Here is a salicylate list.  THis website also tells you how to eat low in all the others....

http://failsafediet.wordpress.com/the-rpah-elimination-diet-failsafe/salicylate-content-of-foods/

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 23:34:29 pm by EloysH »

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 23:32:34 pm »
No, no meat, but I did have bananas too, I forgot to say. By no chemicals, I just meant things like those that I can't pronounce in the ingredient list.

I feel for you on the crying. Milo screamed for 4 hours last night. He just started up again tonight, but I think DH already has him quiet... FX!! I'm so sorry your LO is still screaming so much - for you and for her!!

Megan

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 09:28:15 am »
Lots of hugs xxxx
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Rachel_Momto3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 21:04:42 pm »
I'm sorry I haven't been back to post a reply!

For what it's worth my LO took FOREVER to get completely rid of all the mucuous from his diapers, I would say a little over 4 wks.  His poops went from green to yellow/brownish pretty quick, and the blood disappeared too.  But his diapers never went to "normal" seedy yellow like when he was first born.  They were always runny and I was worried he wasn't getting enough good fat, but his growth has always been great and the doctor wasn't worried, and so far developmentally he's right on track. 

I would encourage you guys to stick with BFing if you can.  I've read that LO's with intolerances/allergies actually have a higher chance of outgrowing them when their BF'd.  My doctor was really pushy with formula too and didn't offer much help at first, but I stuck to it and he's now almost 8 months and doing great.  I'm still avoiding a ton of foods, but I've gotten used to it.

I also wanted to add that my LO has started on baby foods, and he had a reaction to infant cereal (rice and oatmeal!)  The oatmeal gave him a head to toe hive and he was miserable.  That was only a few hours after eating it, it really gave me the affirmation I was looking for by sticking to BFing.

Finally, here is the site I was talking about for the TED diet:
http://www.infantreflux.org/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=43
And when I said my LO tolerates most meats, fruits, and vegetables I just meant that I haven't eaten some things...like lamb, haven't had it so I don't know how he'd react to it.  I don't like pears or peaches, so I'm not sure how he'd do with them because I don't each them, etc.
Anyway, good luck!! You're doing great!!
Rachel
Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MSPI Baby - EBF w/elimination diet

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 23:46:07 pm »
I also wanted to add that my LO has started on baby foods, and he had a reaction to infant cereal (rice and oatmeal!)  The oatmeal gave him a head to toe hive and he was miserable.  That was only a few hours after eating it, it really gave me the affirmation I was looking for by sticking to BFing.

OMG this gives me more hope!! Yesterday and the day before, Milo screamed for HOURS... I thought it was the egg, but I also added oatmeal the same day and just pretty much assumed it wasn't the problem. I ate oatmeal yesterday too, thinking the problem was the egg, but he screamed his head off again last night. Today I didn't eat the oatmeal (or the beef I ate both days) and he's not screaming yet (huge FX that I'm not jinxing it!!). Crazy if it is the oatmeal - not even something I thought to eliminate!!

Megan

Offline Rachel_Momto3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 00:14:41 am »
I know!  Who would have thought oatmeal??  Funny enought I can eat it and he does okay, it was only when he ate it directly.  I have read that grains can be hard on their GI tracts especially for sensitive babies.  So I'm hoping it's more of an intolerance than an allergy and that when his system matures he'll grow out of it.  We'll see.

As  a side note, you mentioned the egg and wondering if he was having problems with that, I had a heck of a time figuring out that my LO was reacting to tomatoes, so you never know, it's good to get a base where he's symptom free and then add things back in.

Good luck :)
Rachel
Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MSPI Baby - EBF w/elimination diet

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 08:43:39 am »
I have cut out oats and all cereals a weeks ago but still eating rice and rice cereal and millet cereal? Could they cause problems?
My sister said (she is the one with allergies in the family) that she was sensitive to tomatoes and strawberries so I have been avoiding those. This gave me the idea that DD was sensitive to sals.

Rachel, your story is encouraging because DD's poops are always yellow/brown now, sometimes seedy, sometimes watery and sometimes still mucusy. BUT she still cries SO MUCH and sleep is terrible! When did that improve for you? When was your LO a bit more settled despite the not perfect poos?

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 09:00:56 am »
Not sure if I already meantioned this but if you like I'll send you some more info on the failsafe (RPAH elimination diet) diet like a recipe book, salicylate charts & food challenge protocol.  Just PM your email address  :)

THere are many ways to skin a cat but I can say that my son was symptom free like he didn't have reflux or any sore gut or anything in 6-8 weeks (but on meds and a thickener too) and probably 80% more settled within 2-3 weeks of being on the diet.  From week 3-8 was diet tweaking as i wouldn't accept anything less than beautiful poo and hardly any refluxing  ::)

In hindsight it was the preservatives and additives and the salicylates that were causing all the problems as I was dairy/soy/ free from the moment he was born and additionally egg and wheat free at 3 weeks old.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:05:05 am by EloysH »

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 12:24:49 pm »
When you mean preservatives, do you just mean artificial? Cos this rice bread I have says its free from artificial preservatives?
Also, waht about the likes of chicken stock cubes?