Author Topic: Need some ideas to fill this kid up!  (Read 3940 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Need some ideas to fill this kid up!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 22:36:40 pm »
OMG Broke that sounds delish. I am going to pull our dusty old breadmaker out this weekend. Can I have the recipe please :P (you can PM me if thats okay!)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 22:55:40 pm »
Is the texture thing the reason why she is still having purees? I agree these are not very filling at all and probably contain nowhere near enough calories for her. I would do away with them completely to be honest.
Beware giving too much brown versions of things (rice/pasta/bread etc). It is actually recommended that 1yo don't only have them as they are filling without the nutrients they need and stop her absorbing some minerals she does need.
Are you giving full fat versions of things like yoghurt,milk, cheese etc? Greek Yoghurt can be 10% fat!
The dietitian I work with always used to push protein to make you feel full when losing weight but I would say make she she has enough calories if she needs them rather than feeling full on few calories if that makes sense.
I second bananas and advocado too is high calorie fruits.
K needed to eat every 2 hrs at this age.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 00:50:00 am »

K needed to eat every 2 hrs at this age.
This is good to know KM :) Z pretty much snacks throughout the day rather than actual meals. He has a good breakfast, then snacks, then after his nap a light lunch, then snacks. Then dinner. Only problem is he isn't that keen on dinner ATM. I think this is reflux related though.

Kara. I find Z prefers his fruit in finger sized portions, will A eat fruit like this instead of in a puree? I have to say now Z can eat bananas, the mini bobby nanas are the perfect snack size! Ripe Pear is also a favorite for a snack along with grapes - cut in half, raisins (not too often) and apple or peach.

I try to give Z his bread/toast in the morning rather than later in the day, and usually get wheatmeal rather than white.

Avocado is delicious with cream cheese ;)
***Sara***

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 00:59:03 am »
Between 1 and 2yo they need more cals per kg of body weight than an obese adult! They have to eat often as their little tunnel is much smaller in proportion to them. If you see the things the who recommend for snacks they are more like mini meals. sardines on toast or cheese on toast or stuff like that the suggest. Way more cals than half a pear.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 02:19:38 am »
Hi, I wasn't meaning purees have added water, just that you need some water in them (or use 'wet' vegetables) to actually get them to puree iyswim?

Pasta is definitely worth a shot.  Here are two pasta recipes with full fat cheese and cream cheese:
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/01/joy-of-cream-cheese.html

Also why not try some bolognaise?  If it's a textural thing with the meat you could puree the sauce then mix with the pasta?
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/07/bolognaise-adults-and-babies.html

Alternatively why not mix some of the vegetable purees with cheese and pasta?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 03:43:27 am »
You ladies are fantastic!

Texture is totally the reason that I still give her some purees each day.  I tried skipping her usual veg puree at lunch and went straight to finger foods - total fail.  She sat in her chair for 40 mins and only managed to eat three rotini noodles (whole wheat) and one floret of broccoli before she signaled that she was all done.  Ugh.  I think the issue is just getting her to consume enough calories at this point. 

She does love cheese so I will try the cheese on toast idea tomorrow.  No ReadyBrek here but I do have baby oatmeal that she loves - I did find that she did better this morning with that along with some fresh fruit - she didn't bug me to eat until 3 hours later so it must have done the trick!  I tried standard oatmeal just last week and she gagged like a maniac and spit it out...

I will add some pasta to her purees and I dug out my Anabel Karmel book for some ideas too - I can use her puree recipes and try them lumpier!  She may not appreciate it, but it's worth a shot!  I found a few recipes with chicken and a few with beef - as well as mini meatballs and baby sized chicken burgers too!  Just need Friday to get here so DH can keep track of her while I cook up a storm!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 06:01:24 am »
mini meatballs and baby sized chicken burgers too
I have made these (if the Anabel Karmel ones) and they are yummo! :) Good luck!
***Sara***

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 13:46:00 pm »
My 15 mo eats a ton too (at least to me, it seems like a lot because DD1 has always eaten like a bird).

We have observed that whenever anyone sits down with food (even if she has just eaten) , she comes over and immediately starts to make demands.  My DH says she is like the Mafia coming around to get her "cut".  I have realized that a lot of her eating has nothing to do with being hungry, and more to do with modeling and mimicking us. She is not really hungry, she just wants to do what we are doing (rarely though, does she turn down anything that is offered).

Just another factor to consider.  But, I agree with lots of the other PP's about adding more table food, particularly proteins and carbs is likely to 'fill her up' more.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 21:38:35 pm »
Sara - that's the ones!  Got the ingredients today ;)

Texomamama - she totally does that!  And yes, like your hubby said, it's like the mafia coming for a piece of the pie LOL! 

I have convinced DH that we need a breadmaker ;)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 22:46:55 pm »
K did that eating when ever anyone else did. When I was at work he would eat with me, eat again with my mum when he got there and then eat again with nephew at my sister's all for breakfast and alll before 10am!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:25 am »
Got a breadmaker today!  So excited to try a few new ideas!

I also bought some 8 oz containers that can be used in the freezer in prep for some meal making on DH's day off!  Will be making the Chicken Burgers tomorrow for DD's lunch :)  Also grabbed some WW pasta at the store today and a few different cheeses too!

She had oatmeal for breakfast today and was totally fine for a few hours before asking for something else.  So, I just need to find things that will sustain her - like cheese on toast and such!

Thanks again everyone!