Author Topic: For those who enforce a 'try' rule, how do you enforce it?  (Read 9942 times)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: For those who enforce a 'try' rule, how do you enforce it?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 21:27:23 pm »
You should have seen DS2 eating the Mash potato last night, he'd eat a bit the size fo half a pea & have a drink of water... etc until he ate a teaspoon full. Easter is an amazing thing for that.

The trouble is when you have a really strong willed child. DS2 went for about 2 years only eating dinner about twice a week & when he did it was generally 2 mouthfuls. He actually ate better the rest of the day than his brother ie have a huge Breakfast & lunch, but not Dinner. So given he ate 90% of his food before 1pm I just accepted it & as a person who grew up with "eat everything on your plate" I'm not really good on knowing when I'm full/hungry & do tend to eat "because you do" at meal times & I don't want that for my boys, so I will genuinely do a "if you don't want to eat it, that is it until breakfast" & Ds2 would (still will if there aren't lots of easter eggs) pretty much go "dinner isnt' to my liking, so I won't eat until Breakfast"

I also can't force my children to try things that I struggled with as a child, because I know they are textural, like ham & fresh tomatoes... I have big memories of gaging on them & getting to the point when forced to eat them I put thim in my pocket & the flushed them down the toilet after dinner... not a place I want my children to go.

FWIW a toddler/preschooler has many more & more sensitive tastebuds than an adult & so food flavours are more noticable. They also tend to be drawn to "seasonal" far more than adults & I've noticed that my boys will eat Bananas & Apples by the tonne in season, but out of season, not really, so while they might have eaten something 2 months ago & won't now it is worth looking at the seasonal variations.  Also important to note that a generation ago a "list" of 50 foods a preschooler ate was "extensive" these days with the varied international diets that a family eats 100 foods would be considered "limited"... if your child happily eats 6 different vegetables & frits & will eat them day in day out then it might seem limited in an adult diet but is actually "social conditioning" rather than anything else, so (from my perspective) I only push a new food/try about 1/week & we succeeded with a new one in the diet about 1/month (now DS1 is more often, but DS2 is still about that)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 21:55:53 pm »
 DD is awesome about trying stuff....she rarely, rarely says no...and I honestly don't know how I'd handle it if she said to to everything as often as some kids do.   :-\  I would really struggle with it, because I feel strongly that I would never force when it comes to food.  There is no way I'm going to try everything, so I can't very well make my child do it, kwim?  I have never eaten an olive, they disgust me, and I will never try them. And if someone made me try them, I'd feel really upset.
 That said, I am totally at a loss as to what to suggest for Wendy....esp when F ends up liking so many of the things he refuses!!!  Or (like some kids) a lo has a diet limited to just 2 or 3 things.  I do like the when/then phrasing....and I use it for alot of things aside from food. 

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 22:27:26 pm »
We have the rule that DS should eat 'some' of his dinner or there will be nothing else all evening. I can usually gauge how much he will eat by how his day has gone. Sometimes he will say he doesn't want it but when I ask him to have some more (because I know he hasn't eaten much) he will wolf the whole lot down and even ask for more! Sometimes he needs a little encouragement, other times he just isn't hungry and I'm ok with that too. I try not to make punishment 'if you don't eat dinner then you won't get a treat' but more of 'if you don't try some dinner, you must not be hungry so we won't have any more food before bed' and this works well with DS! He has never gone to bed hungry.

There are foods he will just not eat, he HATES peas but I'm ok with that because there are foods I don't like either. I don't serve him these foods but if I'm making them for myself I will offer him the chance to try. He always says no but that's ok with me, I would still say no if someone offered me lamb.

I would like some advice on how ppl introduce new foods, mainly veg because DS eats lots of fruit but not enough veg so I'll follow along and see. X
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 23:25:09 pm »
Oh, and I guess I should add that with our if/then project, it was also suggested to us that Spencer get involved in shopping/putting away groceries/cooking so that she was physically touching foods that she hadn't tried. Also just repitition with putting the same food on her plate again and again until she tried it (took a year for roast pork!). 

DH and MIL once force fed Spencer as she was supposed to take some medicine with food. She had table aversion for quite awhile (they had strapped her in her booster chair first)
Heidi

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 00:41:08 am »
I would like some advice on how ppl introduce new foods, mainly veg because DS eats lots of fruit but not enough veg so I'll follow along and see. X

As DH & I eat at least 5 different Vegs a meal I just put the veg on their plates, they know they don't have to eat it (outside their 4 foods) but they also can't comment that "I don't like it/I don't want it"... with DS1 I seriously have found it takes about 200-500 exposures for him to actually eat it, & with DS2 he would often try on something new, but rarely accept a food. Both boys are BIG meat eaters & do eat a selection of veg, but it is the same ones day after day for them, so while DH & I will have variety, DS1 has potato, green beans, cauliflower, pumpkin, corn & lettuce in rotation & will eat Brussel sprouts & beetroot when I have those (beetroot when grown in the garden/brussel sprouts in season) & I *think* cabbage is going to be a decent serve this week... I found a new way to cook it & he ate some. DS2 is still corn, green beans, lettuce, potatoes (only as roast or chips) & red pepper.  But I can always manage to get 4 foods on the plate with one "new"... BTW DS1 being 8 is expected to eat 5 foods now.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 00:47:33 am »
Quote (selected)
What if you had a separate plate for him for his "To Try" foods.  That way, they're still in his sight if he decides to go at 'em, but they're not contaminating his other foods.
Not a bad idea  :)  Might talk to Tom about that.

Quote (selected)
BUT if he doesn't like it he is allowed to spit it out. I have huge food/texture issues and the thought of swallowing something I don't like is too much for me; I would never force it on Dylan.
I should clarify that I told him he could spit it out but he had to at least get it into his mouth.  I'll think about the licking option.  Trouble is that by licking your not getting the full range of buds involved as some taste buds are more sensitive than others, from my understanding.

Quote (selected)
We don't have the 'have to try rule' But we do have the "you have to have eaten 4 things on the plate before you get more of anything on the plate. So every meal WILL have 5 things on it... most days 4 I know will get eaten but every so often, it will only be 3 & so they have to try one to get more of a prefered food.
This is the trouble, I don't make meals that complex.  Most contain 3 foods at most, most often just 2 - meat and a veg.  DH and I are also 'picky' and have a repertoire that we'll eat from for the most part.  I have been making stuff he (and DH) likes for the most part, but the problem is, Finn's slowly dwindling his list of acceptable foods by proclaiming he doesn't like something he used to like.  So meals are becoming toast every night.  It's discouraging.

Heidi we do the if/then but he's quite happy to not have any more food.  He's not eating much.  He'll just say 'ok I get down now'.  Family meals are tough.

Kate I agree with your second post and absolutely don't want my kid to be forced (I agree Anne!) but at the same time, the things I was forced to eat (like pumpkin pie, which I still can't stand the sight of to this day! or onions - they have to be miniscule for me to eat them in something or creamed corn - shudders) are not things that I would force on Finn.  But potatoes and very basic things that really have a very mild taste and texture, if any, he just eyes it and says 'no'.  So he's not going off taste or texture at all.  He's going off a look of a food.  And I know I did that as a kid too.  And now I can see how frustrating it is hehe  So the sweet potato was after about a million times of serving about 10 different ways, finally found a way DH likes and F just refused to try it every single time.  I just felt like he had to at least give it a shot on Easter.  It was the tiniest amount in the world as well.  Luckily he liked it.  But to be honest I would have been just as happy if he put it in his mouth but spit it out again.  We always thank him for trying and we aren't mean or bully about it.  I was pretty matter of fact on Sunday - just like Vikki does I guess.

Luckily, Finn has been a good eater for the past 2 years.  Ever since solids we have had very few issues...and I do know that other kids are way worse and in most circles, he wouldn't even be called picky.  But as I say, he's limiting it a lot now.  'I don't like eggs/meat/chicken/carrots/peppers/berries' when these are things he would eat regularly for 2 years.  I think what he often means is 'that's not what I want to eat' or 'I'm not really that hungry' but I'm struggling with sending my kid to bed without a meal or he only wants waffles, pancakes or toast.  Breakfast we do at home and is typically yogurt and/or toast or cereal and/or fruit.  And he gets a good lunch at school.  They say he's a good eater, but I worry maybe he's not getting enough.  And on weekends, he's just been so picky about all food...meanwhile at school they are serving chickpea salad, quinoa, and all sorts of stuff I would never have touched as a kid and he's mowing down.  So there's a bit of a paradox there.  At school they enforce a try rule...and he's fine with it there.  But at home he balks.

The tweaking never stops!

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 00:57:30 am »
This is the trouble, I don't make meals that complex.  Most contain 3 foods at most, most often just 2 - meat and a veg. 

Not meaning to offend here, but if he sees you only eating 2-3 foods then I think he is justifiable in thinking he only has to eat one of the foods on his plate. It was a long time ago but I read (when I started the 5 foods on a plate) children naturally expect not to need to eat as much variety as their parents do & the more variety they are offered each time the more likely they are to try new things, esp if they see their parents doing it.

When the boys were younger it would have been a piece of meat, a lettuce leaf or green bean (because there is no work in getting them on the plate - ie not cooked) some grapes/apple, grated cheese & potato/rice/pasta. It all grew from there. As an example when I do spagetti Bolognase, they don't have to have extras, because it is pasta, meat, tomato, onion & fresh herbs... so it counts as 5. 
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 02:23:08 am »
Not meaning to offend here, but if he sees you only eating 2-3 foods then I think he is justifiable in thinking he only has to eat one of the foods on his plate.

I think there is alot of truth to this...DH started really working at eating healthy to lose weight last summer and even though I eat healthy, the impact of the kids seeing both of us eat a huge variety of foods was crazy...Spencer now loves carrot sticks, Masyn will eat a salad.  I mae things that are not my favourite (or DH's) and we make a show of trying something new in front of the kids (I have to make sure DH knows beforehand that comments about food being gross are unacceptable!)

With the if/then...plenty of nights she would eat her one helping of rice and nothing else. I try to make sure there is at least one thing they will go for (even if it is just toast) but give a smaller than normal portion so that when they ask for more I have a place to bargain from.  This didn't really work until recently with Spencer, before that she basically lived on cheerios, spaghetti, rice & applesauce (oh, and chicken nuggets & fries!).
Heidi

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 02:29:09 am »
Hmmm - sorry girls do you mean 2-3 foods overall or 2-3 foods for one meal?  What kind of meals have 5 or more foods in one sitting??  Frankly it's just too much food for DH and me, I would certainly expect it to overwhelm Finn too.  He seems overwhelmed by what we already serve. It's just not how DH nor I grew up, I wouldn't even know how to make a meal with 5 different items...and then different ones all the time. 

I'm not a cook, I don't like cooking, but I do it for my kid.  But I can only do what I can do.  Working 9-5 + commuting doesn't leave time for elaborate meals every night, not even on weekends, given all the other stuff we have to fit in.  I kind of feel pretty darn proud if I make a slow cooker meal with a veg on the side :)  That's a banner day around here lol
The tweaking never stops!

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 02:41:42 am »
Oh, I'm not a cook either!!  But, our meal is usually potato/rice/pasta, meat, cooked veg, raw veg (one or two kinds), fruit, maybe cheese.  I adapt it to each person...Spencer loves applesauce, it makes Masyn want to barf so she gets apple slices.  Salad could make up 3 or 4 types of food in one shot.  I don't rotate the kinds alot, I buy what is in season or on sale and run with it.  Mini carrot sticks 5 days in a row? sure!!  (with dip of course...does Finn like veggies with dip?)

I used to love as a kid to make up a plate with small portions of things (cheese, fruit, veg, crackers, slice of meat) and organize it all nice and then eat, seems my kids inherited this gene. 
Heidi

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 03:38:19 am »
OK here is the menu for the week. Each of the veg serve is like 1/4 to 1/2 cup cooked ie 1- 2 florets of cauliflower

Monday.  finely sliced beef -cooked with onion, lettuce, tomato, grated carrot, grated cheese in the tortilla. (boys ate -tortilla, beef, lettuce & cheese - Ds1 onion as well) (DS1 5 things, DS2 4)
Tuesday. Sausages & Mash, with onions, cauliflower, sweet potato & green beans (raw), DS1 ate all except sweet potato, Ds2 didn't eat the cauliflower & onions. (DS1 5 things, DS2 4 or 6 & 5 if you count gravy, which I did early on)
Wednesday - Chicken skewers (with satay sauce) , rice, brocolli DH & me/beans boys, sweet corn & carrots (boys won't eat the carrots or brocolli, thus the green beans (raw) for them. (DS1 5 things (as he will eat the satay sauce), DS2 4)
Thursday - Spaghetti Bolognaise (I cook in 1kg lots of meat, which gives us 5 meals & freeze) & pasta, with salad, boys will eat lettuce  , DH & I will have carrot, peppers & lettuce ... cheese on the bolognaise & pasta too..
Friday (out)
Saturday - BBQ Chicken - shop bought, Fries (shop bought) salad - lettuce, green beans, capsicum, tomato & celery...
DS1 will eat lettuce beans & celery, Ds2 lettuce & beans + chicken & fries.
Sunday - platter night, I will do basically a whole heap of oven foods, pastizzi, frozen yum cha mix, chicken nuggets, cauliflower chips ( cauliflower covered in olive oil, seasoned & baked)  jacket potatoes, sweet potato fries,  green beans (raw). - they will normally eat about 8 different things from the platter night.

When they were younger it may well have been chicken, rice, apple, cheese & beans... beans & lettuce were the staples early on as they were no fuss to put on the plate.

I'm no great cook, but have worked out the sizes to cook so they can all be cooked in together & so really just cut up & put in the microwave & it is done... not really any more effort to do 3-4 veg than it is one... esp as I cut up Broccoli & cauliflower when I buy & then store in a tupperwear container, in florets.

Maybe it is more a UK/Aussie thing but I grew up with meat, potato & 2 veg (my Dad is a Brit & did weekend cooking & he did 3-5 veg) & the 3 friends I "bulk buy" veg with all have at least 3-4 different veg in their meals. - I find it is the only way to attempt to get close to the 5 & 2 (veg & fruit) that they push so much here.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 04:03:38 am »
I hear you Wendy....we are meat/starch/veggie for dinner most nights. On pasta nights, I always make a salad, which (thank you, God) my dd loves.  When I think of 5 items for dinner I think "must be a Holiday!"  LOL

Wendy...what do you offer for snacks? Is he more willing in a more casual setting like snack time? Carrots with dip, granola, apple with peanut butter to dip in....will he do stuff like that? Do dips help at all? For example, my dd isn't crazy about celery, but if she has PB to dip it in, she loves it.

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 05:24:57 am »
We so something along the vein of Katet's approach.  We put small helpings of everything on their plate and then on order to get seconds of a preferred food they must try the not-preferred food.  Sometimes this is even items within one dish.

For example, we make stir fry and DS picks out all the chicken and then wants more--we insist that he have one of each type of veg before getting more chicken. 

We do tend have an "except the one you hate" rule--especially for the three year old.  We'll have soup and she'll pick out all of her favored item and then want more (or want another piece of bread/roll that was served on the side) and we'll tell her she has to eat one of each veg and then she erupts into tears saying, "but I hate potatoes!" So we say, okay, one of everything but the potatoes. 

So, it's not a hard and fast rule, but more of a principle that we apply as best suits the nature of the meal.  We try to talk about the underlying principle of being polite and honoring the person who took the time and effort to make the food and also being thankful that God has provided us with plenty of food even if this item is not our favorite. 

The hard and fast rule we do have is that dinner is what is served and there is no alternative and no snack available afterward.  Eat dinner or wait for breakfast. 

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01:36 am »
[quote author=Peek-a-boo link=topic=228874.msg2477505#msg2477505 date=1334121897
The hard and fast rule we do have is that dinner is what is served and there is no alternative and no snack available afterward.  Eat dinner or wait for breakfast. 
[/quote]

Completely agree, we do this too.
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 08:43:22 am »
I'm so glad to see someone say this:

There is no way I'm going to try everything, so I can't very well make my child do it, kwim?  I have never eaten an olive, they disgust me, and I will never try them. And if someone made me try them, I'd feel really upset.

Olives are the most evil food on the face of the planet and everyone who eats them should be sent to live on an island and stay away from the sane people left on the earth who realise that olives were not meant to be consumed.  :P :P   On a more serious note, it is the way I aim to think with DS and trying foods.  I'm not going to taste an olive. I don't care about the fact that I have not tried one in over 15 years and that just *maybe* I might like them now....I'm just not going to. And so I try to keep that in mind with DS.  I lived in Asia for 5 years and I hate spicy food. There were many many days I went hungry and I lost a LOT of weight while living there just because I would not eat most of the foods, nor would I even try them.   

Quote (selected)
Hmmm - sorry girls do you mean 2-3 foods overall or 2-3 foods for one meal?  What kind of meals have 5 or more foods in one sitting??  Frankly it's just too much food for DH and me, I would certainly expect it to overwhelm Finn too.  He seems overwhelmed by what we already serve. It's just not how DH nor I grew up, I wouldn't even know how to make a meal with 5 different items...and then different ones all the time. 

I think that what you count as a "food" is maybe not the same as what Kate or others mean.  It is the opposite for me in that I can't imagine a meal with only 2 foods on the table but I suspect we are just thinking of it different. We easily have 6-10 "foods" at every meal, every night. But not all of them are cooked or prepared by me. So for us for instance, 6-10 foods in a meal means that I cooked some chicken and rice, and heated some peas. A pot of cottage cheese on the table, bread and butter, and cold carrot sticks. That is 6 different foods to me.  If I made a salad as well then that adds 3-5 things (ie/ lettuce, cucumber, avocado, tomato, spring onions).   It is not too much food because the cottage cheese, carrots, salad all go back in the fridge at the end of the meal to come out again the next night, the peas really only have to be a tablespoon each, and the bread is sliced as or if you want it. You don't need huge portions of each food and not all of us will eat EVERY one of the foods - my DH will might the cottage cheese and bread but not carrots and me the opposite.

And it does not need to take a lot of time: last night we had pork wraps (pork cooked in crock pot all day, it took me 5 minutes to shred it with a fork for dinner while the wraps warmed in the oven).  On a large plate I put shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, sliced avocado and sour cream and we make our own at the table. It takes me 3 minutes to make cous-cous (cous cous and frozen peas in a bowl, boil kettle and pour water on, leave sit for 2 minutes, fluff it and add some chopped cucumber and tomatoes, done).  So for dinner I count that as 10 different foods that DS had the option to eat but I suppose some people might think of that as two foods (wraps and cous-cous). 

Quote (selected)
Trouble is that by licking your not getting the full range of buds involved as some taste buds are more sensitive than others, from my understanding.
You're probably right about this, but honestly I think that for a 3yo you are being a bit unreasonable.  :-\ If he does not want to try something then I think licking it has to count.  There are times when you need to pick your battle and explaining to a three year old what taste buds are and how he needs the full-taste-experience to decide if he likes it or not isn't going to get you any further.  Let him lick things for now and when he his older you can encourage a bit more.

Quote (selected)
Most contain 3 foods at most, most often just 2 - meat and a veg.  DH and I are also 'picky' and have a repertoire that we'll eat from for the most part.  I have been making stuff he (and DH) likes for the most part, but the problem is, Finn's slowly dwindling his list of acceptable foods by proclaiming he doesn't like something he used to like.  So meals are becoming toast every night.

If you and your DH are both picky and you want Finn to learn to be more open to new foods then I think you have to start making things that are new to all of you and possibly things that you and/or Tom don't like as well. And properly taste them, and properly eat them. Otherwise you are making different rules for the both of you than for him. And if you are only offering him two foods at a meal IMO it is not really encouraging him to open up his repertoire and try new foods when there are only two options presented, and then toast as the alternative.  Some nights you include toast on the table as one of the options but not just for him but for any of you - put it in the centre of the table and make it available to everyone not a special thing you made for him, allow him to choose the toast from the options available - but other nights there is no toast and he has to choose from something else that is on the table. 

If you are not able to cook then I would at least put a few other things in the centre of the table and they are available for everyone to choose from. One of the best pieces of advice that I had (from Ellyn Satter, an Aussie 'picky eaters' expert that Deb in Oz directed me to) is not to put anyone's food on plates. Put everything that is an option in the centre of the table and everyone chooses what they want to eat.  Allow Finn to choose the things that he is going to eat and do not comment on it, and also don't comment on your own choices as a way of encouraging (ie/ my DH used to do an exaggerated gush of "Oh WOW this is SOOOOOO good....wow! Yum!!" ::) ::)  as a manipulative way of getting DS to want to taste it, which only made DS avoid it more because he knew that is what was going on).  "True" compliments that are normal are fine ("mmm, the chicken's nice" iyswim) but leave it at that.  After a very short time we were surprised at what DS reached for and chose on his own.  He tried a lot of new things - licks and spits for many of them but trying is trying!  And also making sure that if he does not want/like/choose anything from the options then he does not get anything else. There needs to be at least something that he likes and can choose from but other than that, that's it.  If he knows he can choose toast every night then there is no incentive to eat anything else.