Author Topic: Healthy but bland vs tasty with salt?  (Read 3691 times)

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« on: April 19, 2012, 22:00:13 pm »
DS has gotten very picky but seems to want to try what we eat.  I think it is to do with strong flavours and seasonings, mainly salt.  I do admit that food without an adequate amount of salt, doesnt taste as good to me but i eat it and i get used to it.  DS tries a bite and spits and says not yummy.  His choices are getting more and more limited.

He has always liked salty things like salami, bacon, cheese, paté, and likes to lick salt from his finger when he sees the salt grinder.  If there is adequate salt, he would be more willing to try out new dishes and even less tender meat.  Veggies are no go at the moment.  I am struggling with the dilemma, with salt or without salt?  (of course i mean with normal amount of salt, or with min. Amount of salt?).  I am trying to eat healthier overall, less fat, more veg, etc.  WWYD? 

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Healthy but bland vs tasty with salt?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 22:06:24 pm »
so about 2/2.5 we introduced DS1 to normal food, low salt then we normally take but good for average and mor ethan baby stuff IYKWIM and he prefrred that and DS2 is a salt lover like he will refuse anything without slat ever since he started solids, so i put very slight for him, I think slat is ok in moderation i dont worry about it
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:56:54 pm »
That was my approach for a long time and these days since we ate out a bit more often than before, i find that he would be happily eating new stuff but the whole evening and night, he would be drinking water.  I guess we cant control what we get when we eat out.  I made a special meal two weeks ago for our anniversary as there were visitors, DS ate a lot and then drank the whole evening.  I guess as long as he drinks, it is an once off event.

Thanks mukta!  Do your LOs take spicy food?  It surprised me that DS preferred shoarma (with curry powder and some other spices and herbs) to sausages, nuggets and even fries!

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 14:48:08 pm »
yup DS1 not so spicy DS2 LOVES spicy infact refuses bland stuff.

they both dirnk a lot of water and i never stop them i think thats part of the reason DS1 still has to wear a night pull up, BUT i can never sya no to water to anybody, its like the most baisc need IYKWIM
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 17:24:18 pm »
No we cannot.  I guess it is important to entice him with nice taste to know that food does taste good.  Thanks, Mukta.

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 18:21:46 pm »
:) btw are you and your and DH salt lovers, because my DH and I are and i think its almost genetic, because everyone in my family loves salty stuff I often crave it as much as i crave dark chocolate...

9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 18:32:58 pm »
My family is definitely lovers of strong flavours!!  We love food also, that is definitely from my side of the family.  DH's gene apparently is for sweets and DS is starting to get crazy with chocolates.  He still drinks juice and then chase it with water, though hehe

I find that it is addictive, once you have had nice flavours, it is hard to go back to bland!  I made the mistake of going too far too fast!  As you might know that i am chinese but circumstances just didnt allow me to make chinese food when DS was younger, mainly to do with time.  I wish i had done so because i think it is important that he is exposed to all aspects of half of his culture hehe. Food is so very important to us.  Do you agree? 

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 19:21:08 pm »
yup it is and can I tell you the love of your own heriatge food is also in yoru genes you will find that DS will pick it up easily.

Ds1 and 2 LOVE okra cooked in a traditional indian way, they will happily have okra with home made indian bread and yoghurt every night for dinner if they could and I know adults who will never eat okra and trust me DS2 is a super fussy eater but Okra he will sell his soul for ;)

Food is or should I say tasty food is super important!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 19:41:30 pm »
Amen! Lol. If i dont up my game, (up my salt), DS will soon prefer KFC to my cooking!  Lol  I didnt know that it was in the gene.  I thought, though, that what we ate during the pregnancy would have a huge impact on the LO's preferences as it is what he/she got used to.  Hmmm i think you are right, DS could eat tonnes and tonnes of cheese, must be from cheese head daddy lol...  I most definitely didnt eat much cheese during pg. 

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 20:09:11 pm »
kfc hmmm wish my boys would be wiling to eat chicken.

btw not sure if its genetic I think it is, just because....i like to throw my phiolosphies at everyone...
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 20:30:17 pm »
I'd chose high umami stuff, e.g. rather than including salt, include parmesan.  Yes it's salty but not as salty as salt itself and obviously adds calcium.  I think from what you are saying he just has a preference for that umami taste rather than sweet or sour or salty necessarily.  He's just a savoury little guy.  

Perhaps cut back a little in the salt in your diet (especially on items you are eating in front of him).  I mean, how can you expect him not to have it if you do?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 20:49:56 pm »
You are indeed right about umami.  That is what we like.  You need a certain amount of salt and sugar to "bring out" the umami flavour.   DS doesnt like some foods even though they are high in umami. 

We do eat everything together and like i said in the first post, it is a bit bland but we eat it because it is healthier and we are not fussy eaters.  Or do you mean that we cut down on salty foods, like cheese and salami?  

Another thing is that he is used to more flavourful versions of things like pasta, so when we visit people, he takes one bites of spag bol and he didnt want anymore :/. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 21:08:52 pm by koe2moe »

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 16:23:12 pm »
Perhaps count up how much salt he's having in a day.  If you're not actually adding salt, it might not be as high as you think although from the sounds of it you are?  Seriously it's the glutamic acid which has that flavour, yes salt enhances it but you can train yourself to have less.  Rather than going from it all to having none, why not try reducing it by 20% for a month, then another 20% etc.

To increase flavour in bolognaise without adding salt, do you add chopped up chicken livers?  It doesn't taste like liver in there but it makes the whole dish taste meatier.

My husband was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure (there is a family history) but he's only 35.  It's good for all of you to cut back.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 12:24:18 pm »
As long as salt is added in reasonable amounts, I think it should be fine.  Seasoning in food is very important, and salt is probably the most important seasoning we have.  After all, entire wars have been fought over it.

From a health and wellness perspective, salt is a necessary component to all the body's functions.  If someone has healthy functioning kidneys and is not hypertensive, the body is actually extremely efficient at regulating salt and can rid itself of extra amounts very easily.  The issue with LO's is that their kidneys are not really efficient at this until they are about 2 or so.

The biggest salt culprit is prepared foods, which have an huge amount of salt compared to what you add later during the cooking process.  So, just limit those, and prepared and cured meats to a reasonable amount, and you should be okay.

Food would be just too bland w/o salt, IMO.

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:42 pm »
Thanks both!  I think i just worry too much!  Lol. Stress from 1-0, PT and sleep deprivation!  I really dont use much salt normally and those few times i panicked and withheld salt lol. *doh!  I really think though if i would put just that bit more salt, DS would be more willing to try out new foods!

I eyeball everything, so it is very hard to know how much salt i put.  DS drinks good amount of water daily, so it shouldnt be a problem!  Keep breathing :)