Author Topic: Trialling soy  (Read 5700 times)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Trialling soy
« on: June 23, 2012, 23:01:41 pm »
We sort of had a slip up and were feeding E some gluten free Chex cereal that had soybean oil in it for the past week. She used to react to it within a day or two but now is fine. We let the allergist know and he's ok'd us to go ahead with trying some soy yogurt.

Lots of looking later I found a soy yogurt that doesn't have strawberries in it or any other flavour that has a forbidden food in it.

I'm excited, nervous and very interested to see if her intolerance to soy is any less.

Wish us luck!
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Trialling soy
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 23:02:39 pm »
Keeping fingers crossed for you Vicki!!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 23:50:26 pm »
Good luck Vicki!!!
Elise

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 00:59:20 am »
Well the yogurt was a flop. Not because she reacted but because she had a small taste and pushed the bowl away saying "yuck! That's not ice cream." I tried to explain that it was yogurt but she wanted none of it.

Tomorrow I'll add some sugar and toss it in the ice cream maker. It'll lose the benefits of the probiotics but I need to know about the soy more.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 01:14:40 am »
how about using it in a smoothie so dont lose the probiotic goodies?? i cant remember what she can and cant have sorry  :-[ but can she have bananas?? i used these to sub for ice-cream in smoothies (she's dairy free right?), just peel and freeze first.

good luck :-*

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:20:51 am »
The only fruit for sure is apples, grapes and raspberries. There might be a few others but bananas are definitely out.

Maybe mixed somehow with the coconut milk.....will give it some thought. Thanks!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 04:14:04 am »
coconut, raspberry and yoghurt smoothie sounds nice, you could freeze the berries or add some ice to it i guess. havent tried it but maybe frozen coconut cream thrown in could give it a good consistency?? i'm sure the coconut milk, raspberries and yoghurt would make a nice drink tho even if it's not quite a smoothy - use some cool straws to get her interested in trying it. (it was def more about the straw for my fusspot ds2 when i first got him onto fruit smoothies, still one of few ways i can get fruit into him  ::) )

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 04:49:03 am »
So I think the soy is a bust for now :( She just won't try it.

I can't get back for more groceries but I do have some strawberries so since she's done so well for almost two weeks with the hidden soy we're going to call that a success and move forward to them.

She had three today and where she would have normally had a reaction within a couple of hours, today she was fine. So we'll give her a few more tomorrow and continue on to see how she does.

I know I mentioned this on fb, but I do have the feeling that she's made a turn lately. I don't know why but the hidden soy would have been an issue before and now it doesn't seem to be. So we'll work on the strawberries and either go with some proper soy ice cream or soy cheese to see about more direct soy or we'll go with stone fruits.

But first to get through the strawberries.

Should I give her a break between the food trials that she passes (I'm giving a two week trial for the ones she does well to be absolutely sure) or just continue on? Surely two weeks direct ingestion should be enough for an intolerance? Thoughts?

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 06:53:54 am »
if it's a successful trial then i dont see the need to take a break, just jump right into the next one. i used to start a new food every week but i dont think K is quite as sensitive as your LO.

yep def sounds like she has outgrown some stuff already given that's two foods she def used to react to.

after u get thru stone fruits and soy, what is allergist suggesting to trial??

Offline ENMS

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »
yep I agree Vicki, if after 2 weeks she's doing well, I would move on to a new trial. from what I've been reading on the FPIES board at baby center, most people do 10 days - 2 weeks trials.

we're doing a new trial since Monday, apples, I really hope it works well and we can finally have one safe food!

that is fantastic news that you feel like she's made a turn ;D so happy for you ;D
Elise

Offline my3girlsjde

Re: Trialling soy.........day five for strawberries
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 00:36:03 am »
Day five for strawberries and......fine!!! ;D

Even if she reacts now, she used to react within hours so that tells me that she's at least not as sensitive. She also got her hands on some cherries a few days ago and she's never had them and fine there too. So strawberries and a few stone fruits and still fine.

I used to wonder if she would outgrow everything and we wouldn't really know what was wrong and it would drive me nuts not knowing. But it does seem that now that we know exactly what it is, she's slowly coming out of it. Knock on wood, I don't want to jinx it but I'm really starting to feel positive about it all.

After the strawberries I may as well go to stone fruits and figure them out for sure. Peaches were a problem and perhaps just the canned ones so I'll try fresh first.

We had a citrus issue not a month ago so we're going to wait on that with the milk and the wheat. Where she's not a serious case of FPIES, I think the allergist is giving me free rein on foods outside of dairy, citrus and wheat. My gut says she would fail those one and I think that's the rationale of the allergist. She's not had peanuts though is fine with almonds so we may attempt some peanut butter when dh comes home.

So things are looking fairly positive right now. Very exciting to see her enjoying the foods now also :D

Offline ENMS

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 13:51:10 pm »
So so happy for you Vicki!
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 18:13:16 pm »
Had an idea about soy - could you put a bit of soy milk in with her usual milk? She wouldn't notice that right?

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 19:44:45 pm »
Oh good idea Claire!

I'll do that next and get the complete soy thing out of the way. I also looked at the cookies she's been having and they also have soy lecithin in them and she's fine with that also. So definitely less sensitive all around.

Strawberries still great and when we finish we'll go to the mixed soy and coconut milk. I feel like I should be setting a goal with all of these challenges yk? But I think that would be harder if the challenges fail. Make sense?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 21:14:12 pm »
Glad I could help! That way you can start with a small amount and increase slowly. Not sure if soy is the same as dairy and the proteins change with heat ie less reactive in cheese or yoghurt, not heard of it do worth trying straight with the milk?