Author Topic: Healthy cereal for kids  (Read 4084 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Healthy cereal for kids
« on: October 09, 2012, 13:51:38 pm »
DD is 3.5 years old and lately has shown interest in eating cereals for breakfast - neither DH nor I eat cereals regularly so I'm a bit clueless as to what is good and healthy for them.

I'm assuming I want them made with whole grains, and not too much sugar - are there guidelines available as to how much sugar is ok, and what else should I be looking for?

Can anyone recommend good, healthy cereals for kids (I'm in Canada)?
Elise

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Healthy cereal for kids
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 13:55:29 pm »
if you can get it, weetabix?
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 14:31:40 pm »
No added sugars and definitely no added colors or preservatives, nothing artificial anyway.

More nutrition in non-cereal stuff though; we often have whatever supper leftovers are handy and just eat those for a morning meal. :) Even meat and veg and fish and soup!

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 02:47:16 am »
I use Rice Krispies - unflavoured. 
I've seen others here who have LO's who like oatmeal (mine did for a while) or Cheerios.  If you do buy Cheerios, DON'T buy the whole grain ones.  To make them palatable, the sugar content is close to double (I think) the standard Cheerios.

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline georgeo

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:22 am »
If you do buy Cheerios, DON'T buy the whole grain ones.  To make them palatable, the sugar content is close to double (I think) the standard Cheerios.

What?!?!!!! I had no idea!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:45:43 am by Canwi »

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 04:46:35 am »
I know!!! I was floored by that when I did the label reading.  It may not be double, but it is certainly MUCH more than standard Cheerios.

Oh, and I have no clue why your last post had so many quotes ... but I fixed it ;)

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline georgeo

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 05:59:36 am »
I know!!! I was floored by that when I did the label reading.  It may not be double, but it is certainly MUCH more than standard Cheerios.

Oh, and I have no clue why your last post had so many quotes ... but I fixed it ;)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:13:09 am »
weetbox are pretty good- basically the worse they taste the better they are :) also we have these little shredded wheat things that are low in sodium and sugar... mini wheats... I think though it is tricky to suggest things for overseas as the content really caries- we have cheerios here but i think the sugar is HEAPS more than that in the US. Possibly and untoasted muesli might be ok? without the nuts? ( i'm sure you can get a nut free one..)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:12 am »
Try to find organic cereals when you can (so you are not dealing with GMOs), low in sugar, etc. Even still we treat cereal as an occasional dessert, not as breakfast on its own. Or sometimes DD will have a small portion of organic cereal WITH nuts mixed in for breakfast or a small side of organic cereal along with a scrambled egg or the like for breakfast. I like the Cascadian Farms brand of cereals quite a bit! Trader Joe's has some good ones too.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Sarsheep

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 13:45:32 pm »
If u have time, make your own granola-oats and coconut tablespoon of oil and honey and oven till golden then add fruit dried or fresh that am-good as you can pick how sweet it is-you can leave out honey etc! I add nuts for adult version x

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 14:20:11 pm »
If u have time, make your own granola-oats and coconut tablespoon of oil and honey and oven till golden then add fruit dried or fresh that am-good as you can pick how sweet it is-you can leave out honey etc! I add nuts for adult version x
We do this.  It takes no time at all, is healthier and cheaper.

I tend to have cereals around for the odd snack and sometimes for breakfast (though they often eat it with other stuff, for example this morning they had cereal and scrambled eggs).  We go for good old plain Cheerios, and I really like Nature's Path brand cereals, or Barbara's shredded oats.  Right now cereal is the only snack-type/boxed/package food we keep in the house and have cut out everything else, so I don't feel horrible about having some on hand even if it does have a bit of sugar in it.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 14:21:44 pm »
Cheerios in the UK are super high in sugar.  It's misleading at times to read so many parents give their LOs cheerios when weaning.  So I agree that ingredients are different country to country.  I'd rather give DS a cake than a bowl of regular cereal.

I'd only give wheetabix (we have a cheaper alternative brand here which has a lower sodium content so sometimes worth reading labels), porridge or readybrek (quick oats) but DS won't eat any of them.

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 14:35:24 pm »
I also do just plain cheerios as a finger food but will do cream of wheat or shredded wheat as cereals. DD loves it when I mix it with a little fruit puree.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 14:52:45 pm »
We just do plain cheerios or rice krispies and sometimes an organic version of corn pops (was a superstore brand, haven't bought them lately)
Heidi

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 15:38:57 pm »
Plain old Cheerios, not sure on the sugar content but I'm assuming it's better than the Honey Nut Cheerios or the Apple Cinnamon.  I also have Raisin Bran, Mini Wheats and Rice Crispies in the house.  DD actually dislikes sugary cereal (she hated Apple Cinnamon Cheerios when she tried them!) so I hope she keeps it up...I would really prefer she didn't become addicted to Lucky Charms like her Daddy was ;)