Author Topic: Tell me about neocate please  (Read 14770 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Tell me about neocate please
« on: December 17, 2012, 03:19:38 am »
I may have to trial T on it...
So it has milk protiens in it but broken down? If he is good on it does it pretty much mean my milk is bad :(
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Tell me about neocate please
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 03:21:06 am »
Bb I have no idea where this goes so feel free to move ;)
***Sara***

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:07:35 am »
Neocate is an elemental formula and is 100% free of milk protein. It is also manufactured in a factory that is 100% free of milk protein according to the website. There are formulas out there that still contain milk protein which is broken down like you describe. We tried one called nutramigen and my son reacted terribly to this still.

If your lo does well on neocate and he is breastfed at he moment it might not necessarily be dairy that is causing issues it could be something else in your diet. If your lo is formula fed at the moment and he does well on neocate then I would assume that he has issues with dairy.

Kelly x
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 15:28:42 pm by Jimbob »

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:06:36 am »
My Lo had severe reflux (which you helped me get through so tnx). He was put on neocate as they thought allergys were causing the reflux. It turns out he had both reflux and allergies. He was first put on nutramagin which he did horrible on. We then went to Neocate and things got much better. He still had bad gas issues so we switched him to Elecare another elemental formula and its been a lige saver. It's not that my milk was bad, it was that no amount of diet elimination was going to work. He was too sensative to my milk and as much as it killed me he did 10 times better and was happier and that's what was most important to me. I would have lived to continue BF and mourn that I couldn't but I rather enjoy my much happier healthy baby. If you can pump and freeze to keep up your supply and do the neocate for a couple weks it might be worth it. just my 2 cents.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 14:20:51 pm »
Hey hon,

as you know I've also BTDT. We first tried Alimentum but M did horrible on it. Then we tried Nutramigen AA (another elemental formula) and poof everything was much much better. He's still on it today and I'm terrified of even trialling regular milk.

As Kelly explained, 'regular' hypo allergenic formula is milk-based, but the proteins have been hydrolyzed to become really small so that the body will not recognize them as milk proteins.  Elemental formula is made up from scratch with no milk ingredients. It is also free of other potential allergens. Here is an explanation (for the Nutramigen AA, but the principle is the same with Neocate or any other elemental formula).

http://www.enfamil.ca/en/products/Pages/faq-56-What-is-the-difference-between-Nutramigen-AA-and-Nutramigen-A+.aspx

He was too sensative to my milk and as much as it killed me he did 10 times better and was happier and that's what was most important to me.

same here... it broke my heart to not be able to BF. I cried a lot and it took me some time to get over it. but bottom line, i had a much happier boy and that is what counts in the end.
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 17:27:27 pm »
Sara I was just thinking about this - have you tried hypo allergenic formula already? It may be a good first step before trying elemental formula. Mostly because of the insane cost of elemental formula (unless you can get it covered by insurance?). Here we have it covered but I understand that it's not that way everywhere. Nutramigen AA that we use costs 3 x as much as Nutramigen A+.
Elise

Offline stardust599

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 20:29:00 pm »
Oh Sara are you still having problems :-(

Neocate LCP and Nutramigen AA are 100% amino-acid based formulas.  Very hard to explain but it contains no whole proteins.  It is for babies with severe allergies.  It's available on the NHS but very expensive for NHS (around £30 for a tin that will last 3 days) and it usually only prescribed by a paediatric dietitian or consultant paediatrician although I understand that this varies from area to area.  Most will make you trial the other milks first - usually Aptamil Pepti or Nutramigen LIPIL.  Nutramigen LIPIL is the most vile tasting of them all.

I have 6 sealed tins of Neocate I'm happy to post if you want them?

We trialled Alex on Neocate for 6 weeks and I did see an improvement in his reflux but TBH he absolutely hated the taste of it and screamed at every bottle and because he already has feeding and swallowing issues it just wasn't worth it for us.  We found that flavouring it with golden syrup or brown sugar helped.

I know you are already on an elimination diet, can you remind me what you have excluded from your diet?  Elimination diets are SO difficult and frustrating. Usually the first foods recommended for elimination are dairy, eggs, nuts, wheat and corn.  This means that the diet can be quite restricted but to rice, potatoes, organic meat and veg.

EDIT - Sorry, I thought you were in the UK so I'm not sure about the difference between milks here and NZ x
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 20:48:36 pm by stardust599 »
Mummy to a beautiful girl born Nov 2010 - touchy baby now a touchy/spirited Toddler!

Baby boy born 2nd July 2012 - my very spirited little monkey with MSPI, GERD & dysphagia.  Here to help ask me anything :-)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 20:51:52 pm »
Ahh ok I didn't realise neocate was free of milk proteins not just broken down. So I have two options. (Sorry you can tell I'm clueless about formula - Kelly I'm BF and dairy free ATM)

Neocate is subsidised here $51 a can i think? Still expensive I know! I can only be given via drs etc.

So hyper allergenic formula has broken down milk proteins - I wonder if they are available via the supermarkets or prescription only? - ill have to do some research if/when T ever naps ::) :(

Stardust I'm only dairy free. TBH I just don't think I can do the whole shebang. I'm so anxious already and I just worry ill end up in a black hole all depressed and frustrated at myself when/if I get it wrong. I feel so terrible about it, but it's reality :'(
***Sara***

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 20:53:29 pm »
I'm so confused, but maybe it is fully subsidised here? http://www.nutriciaclinical.co.nz/admin/documentlibrary/fundingchanges.pdf
***Sara***

Offline ENMS

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 21:17:10 pm »
Here we can get hypo allergenic formula (mostly Alimentum and / or Nutramigen A+) anywhere, it doesn't require a prescription. Elemental formula does however need a prescription to get it.

TBH I just don't think I can do the whole shebang. I'm so anxious already and I just worry ill end up in a black hole all depressed and frustrated at myself when/if I get it wrong. I feel so terrible about it, but it's reality

hon I know how you feel but please don't be so hard on yourself. I felt awful too but now that I'm looking back, I KNOW I did the BEST thing for M. It may not be the 'conventional' best thing, i.e. breast milk is better for most, but for M, it was not. There was nothing I could do about that, it was not MY fault. I, like you, would not have been able to go on a strict ED.  You have to think about yourself too and if you don't have energy to care for T and Z, it's not best for anyone.

Hang in there xx
Elise

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 09:27:36 am »
From the link you posted itdoe look like the neocate is fully subsidised now. If that is the case it might be worth going straight to neocate.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 19:47:15 pm »
Sara, I think it depends on the DHB. When E was little I had to pay $6/ can but by the time J was on it it was free. I don't know about your DHB though (but I still have this one can that I can send you if you like.  IT don't know anyone else who needs it and it would be a shame to waste it when it is just so so expensive)
Jenny - mama to

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 19:52:41 pm »
:-* Jenny if your sure that would be wonderful. Ill pm you and pay for postage etc x

We get a trial from the drug company today assume its 1 tin :-\ but then I think I need the dr/ped to go through the process of 'prescribing' it...is that right Jenny?
***Sara***

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 19:56:14 pm »
As far as I know here you need a prescription. Insurance in the US doesn't have to cover it as it's considered food which is ridiculous. We're fighting with our insurance company at the moment.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 19:57:24 pm »
Yip that's right, you need a paed to prescribe it.
If you ask here: http://www2.everybody.co.nz/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/2/1/Allergies there will be people that can tell you about the subsidy in your DHB and probably recommend a paed too. The reflux board is also really helpful.
Jenny - mama to