Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5  (Read 284585 times)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 23:19:00 pm »
OMG what a doll Audrey is in your new avi! Love it!
Totally!  How cute!!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 08:35:27 am »
That is a very precious pic!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 08:57:56 am »
Totally missed this new thread. Hugs Amanda!

I think we're slowly on the way out.  We've been (mainly) only having a morning feed for several months now, but now it's usually only every couple of days - and then we might have 3-4 days when she will want to feed every morning. I was a bit sad a couple of weeks ago when she actually refused milk 3 days in a row and I thought we'd had our last feed without me even thinking about it, but then she got sick so was keen again :P  But I've decided now that if she doesn't ask, I'm not going to offer anymore. I'm happy to have made it to 2 years, so if she's happy to wean herself now that's ok.

We changed milk to before bath, teeth etc with no trouble, to my surprise...I want to say around 15 months? Not sure, but that seems about right.
*Nuala*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:25 am »
We finally changed milk to before the bath with Cadan at 2yo mainly as I was hoping to wean and felt he was more likely to get ready with Daddy and not want to feed than he was going to want to get in bed and go to sleep without feeding. It worked and I weaned him at 26mo. I'll probably do the same with Colby when he reaches two. I need to get rid of the day time feed first though.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »
Well done for getting to 2 years Nuala!

We're still going strong here at 18 months and E is *obsessed* with milk which I am increasingly finding difficult as it's like she wants to be feeding all.the.time.   I often say no which leads to full sobbing meltdowns.  I distract, offer drinks and snacks, but so much of the time this does not work and she just sobs and sobs until I feed her.  If she was doing this for something like chocolate (she is very partial to a square of dark chocolate  ::)) then I know that I wouldn't 'reward' the tantrum with what she wants iyswim - but it feels different with BF, so I am torn  ???.  What do you ladies think?  She often will only want to feed for 2 minutes, but then will be back again 15 minutes later!  Other times she will happily go for hours. 

Anna - YES - that picture of Audrey is just adorable!!! 
Claire x

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 20:19:54 pm »
tricky claire!! There are PLENTY of people out there that would say offerring whenever she asks is totally apropriate... AND THAT"S TOTALLY VALID- But.. i'm on the other side of the fence in a way- we only feed at BT and wake up and in between i just say 'oh no, it's not bed time' or something similar. As he's not had it in the day forever it's not a problem. Can you try offerring just a cuddle on the bed or something instead? Hamish has a cuddle LOTS AND LOTS through the day- i'd say he'd have a feed every time he wanted a little snuggle if we did that!!

if you are finding the lots of feeds aren't working for you can you try limiting it to a few set times in the day? That way you can say 'not now- after your nap' etc... that way she knows she'll get it at some point. May not reduce the tantrum to start but may help?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 20:23:27 pm »
Stan NEVER used to ask for milk outside our set 'times'. Audrey asks for milk any time she finds me sitting down. Usually she can be distracted - often she wants a drink or a snack - but other times what she really wants is a cuddle. She initially gets quite upset but if I keep telling her it's not milk time (usually because she fed just half an hour before, if it's been a while I'll happily feed her) but she can have cuddles, she'll usually relent and take the cuddles. Possibly easier because she has a dummy and I keep one downstairs for exactly these occasions.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 20:25:19 pm »
Audrey asks for milk any time she finds me sitting down

::) clearly the whole purpose of you sitting is to feed Audrey!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 20:37:09 pm »
Hugs Claire. I don't really have any BTDT experience as F was always pretty happy with her 'routine' feeds - WU, after naps etc - so it was rare for her to ask at another time unless teething or unwell, and even as we dropped each of those feeds gradually she hardly ever then went back to asking at the old time, iyswim. But I totally agree that insistently asking for a bf seems different from asking for a treat or an activity as it's often just as much about the comfort and mummy time really, isn't it? So I wonder if you could have another connecting thing to offer, if offering a drink or snack isn't working - a "special cuddle/story/roly-poly time with mummy", whatever she really enjoys - and as Katy says, milk is only at set times that she can predict?

So after me saying we're almost done, guess who was looking for a feed at 3am this morning ::) Must be the molars I think - but luckily she didn't make too much of a fuss when I told her she'd have to wait until morning!
*Nuala*

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 20:38:56 pm »
Audrey asks for milk any time she finds me sitting down

::) clearly the whole purpose of you sitting is to feed Audrey!!

I know, right?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 20:49:14 pm »
Colby has been asking lately when he never used to. I can normally distract but sometimes if I fancy a sit down I will feed him ;)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Solene

• Cupboard under the stairs
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 21:09:11 pm »
My toddler has always gotten whenever he wanted and it's never been set times. Well, from he was born until he was 15 months or so he fed every 2 hours, so that was pretty "set".
And he fed often and many times a day until he was pretty big, 18-20 months or so. Now he's usually too busy during the day.
He hardly wants his afternoon feed now, sometimes he'll have a few minutes. But the long ones (15-20 min.) are bedtime and wake up.
But it's really something that has got to work for you, everybody is different.

I've been wondering about my toddler's teeth too. We're going for a well-baby (well-child?) visit in about a month and I was wondering about asking the nurse if I should take him to the dentist this year. He won't be called in until next year when he's three. But I was wondering if we should check it out earlier. I know what kellymom says though, and it does give me peace about it.
I just love the bedtime feeding in the bedroom, and having this cuddly, sleepy "baby" (2 yo. next week) on my lap and putting him to bed and singing. I'd hate to interrupt it with brushing teeth. We brush before we go into the bedroom of course. I kinda hope he weans before we have to start brushing after.

amayzie, love that pic of Pink!
And I'm so happy we live in a place where nursing in public actually IS concidered completely normal. I've nursed my toddler in public recently, and will again if he wants to.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 21:33:49 pm »
Solene I'd be happy to nurse her any time she asked BUT I must admit I don't go for it when she nurses for 1.5mins then unlatches - but screams at me if I try to put my boob away. She wants me to sit on the floor near her, with my boobs out, in CASE she wants a sip  ::) ::)

I do nurse her in public, fine with that - but, I do try to make sure that I think she's going to nurse for a decent time so she's not going to be popping off every 20 seconds

Offline Solene

• Cupboard under the stairs
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 21:37:53 pm »
Haha. Yeah, your sole purpose is to be snack-available.

Whenever my toddler sees me coming out of the shower or changing, he'll try to latch on. I can not have the girls at his height when nekkid, he'll just jump on.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 22:05:11 pm »
Clare, we had this issue too. I did DODR (still offering WU and BT but not during the day) at 12-13 months when DH said I should stop BF ::) L soon worked out he'd get milk if he asked and he even would grab my hand, lead me to a chair, tell me to sit, climb on me, take my boob out and have a feed :-\ We are probably 3 weeks without a feed other than BT now but we did that by offering 'special milk' - cows milk with ever-diminishing amounts of quik - as a substitute. He was basically using the feed as a calming mechanism, so I also started giving him his dummy and a cuddle to help him calm but the we ended up with his dummy in his mouth all the time. Just getting out of that now where he's happy for me to carry it in the bag and he can ask for it if he needs it. He is now not really drinking much cows milk either, but it was the transition away from looking for the breast at every small upset, twinge of thirst, view of breast, etc.