Author Topic: WDYD for calcium/milk after one year with your MSPI kid?  (Read 6957 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: WDYD for calcium/milk after one year with your MSPI kid?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 04:39:55 am »
For the sake of following up, we got Ds2's bloods back and his calcium  albumin is excellent as is vit D, goes to show you don;t need to eat dairy to have good calcium:)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 08:24:36 am »
:D :D
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 17:18:58 pm »
goes to show you don;t need to eat dairy to have good calcium:)

Do you think it is the broth that has provided Kai with most of his calcium? Olly won't eat soup so not sure how I would get it in him?

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 17:33:07 pm »
BB, I cook everything in my homemade broth... rice, veggies, etc. Not sure if it's as effective as just drinking the broth or eating it in the soup but I assume so.
Elise

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 19:05:03 pm »
We just mix it into Ts food like you would stock or milk into a meal I guess.....
If you puT in a little vinegar the calcium comes out of the bones during cooking :D
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 02:57:27 am »
Yep I do think its played a major role. We r same cook grains in it - they r tastier that way too. He doesn't eat much soup either, he will dip his bread in thats about it. Any meat based casserole or spag Bol is cooked with chicken broth as the liquid component. They taste so hearty that way too.  :)

How is you little man BTW ?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 21:05:52 pm »
Cooking bolognaise with stock is a great idea. he will eat LOADS of that - no stews though  :P And rice is good too. Now I need to make the stock  ;)

He is good thanks. Still not allergies to wheat and egg but now 'just' an intolerance to milk. He can have tiny amounts of processed dairy (ie a few cheese crisps at a party) but any more and he gets itchy and eczema. He is still off high fructose fruits mostly too. If he has any at nursery then we can tell as he is trumping all evening!

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 14:04:16 pm »
Lol, I go camping for awhile and come back and I have missed a lot!

Interesting to hear about the broth and calcium! Love all the alternate ways to get calcium into our diets! I am hoping to chat with the public health nurse at DS2's one year immunizations about doings a nutritionist/dietician consult to take about good fats and calcium.

My brother, sister, and I never had milk as children as we had a wide variety of allergies and intolerances so I know that we can grow up with strong bones and smart minds without milk :) calcium and those good fats can definitely be in our diets without milk (and expensive formula!)
-Nadia

Offline EloysH

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 10:52:57 am »
Good idea Nadia. By the way I have found big differences in approach between dieticians and nutritionists approach to healthy eating. Dieticians are more mainstream reductionist approach, nutritionists more wholistic and traditional.

Good news Ollie is improving Claire :) awesome :). If you can get some broth and also coconut oil into the diet I reckon that will help even more :)  I am a big fan of coconut oil, heals all ills in my book. Very stable to be heated at high temps and a highly saturated medium chain fatty acid. Very good for metabolism and has anti bacterial and anti-fungal properties and loads more.

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 13:00:40 pm »
How exactly do you make the bone broth? Is it with chicken bones or beef? How much vinegar? Do you do it in the crock pot?

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 17:02:42 pm »
Here's a link with more info about the broth. I do it either in the crock pot or the stove top, it depends on how much time I have! :)

http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2005/broth0205.htm
Elise

Offline Canadian_Mom

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 04:17:52 am »
Wondering if anyone knows what is "bad" about the coconut "drinks" that are out there and fortified with calcium?  My pediatrician had said that they just aren't good enough, but looking at the nutritional info, I don't really get why they aren't ???  I will be trying for a dietician consult when we eventually go for DS2's one year immunizations, but wondering if any of you know why it isn't "good enough" or what is wrong with it?
-Nadia

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 04:37:29 am »
Hmmm not enough protein? I really dont think any whole milk or formula substitute on its own can really take it place, but if you can get the fat and protein elsewhere in the diet it shouldnt be a big issue.  We had a health nurse who lectured me on why Spencer still needed formula if she couldnt have whole milk but had no answer when i told her how i was making sure she had adequate fat and protein in her diet!
Heidi

Offline EloysH

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 04:38:56 am »
Coconut drinks as opposed to coconut milk are bad. Coconut drinks usually have water added and thickeners and natural flavourings. So the idea of drinking lovely wholesome coconut milk gets thrown out the window with processing.

Calcium fortified drinks aren't really that great, because the body Finds it hard to absorb it in such an artificial state without other complementary  minerals ( that are present in whole foods). I personally would opt for real 100% coconut milk as it is a great source of saturated fat and little kids need this for the development of their brain and nervous system, saturated fats build myelin, which is still developing for toddlers.

My LO did not drink any milk past 1 - just the odd rice milk for something wet and his calcium is good. You can get it from dietary sources. I did see dieticians and nutritionists though.

Offline Canadian_Mom

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 17:49:12 pm »
You ladies are so quick with your responses! I was so happy to do a quick read of them before we left for camping so thank you (but sorry I didn't have time to respond!)

I had been having a discussion with a couple of my friend's about coconut milk and they did not know that there was a difference between the beverage/drink or real coconut milk.  I was surprised when they told me that the refrigerated coconut milk that they bought had calcium added to it.  But I showed them the amount of ingredients in the drink compared to the can of coconut milk that I use for baking etc with DS2 and they were shocked.  They thought they were being "healthier" with drinking the coconut drink rather than milk.  I don't plan on changing what I am currently doing with DS2 (formula in two bottles which I will eventually wean and perhaps put in a cup, coconut or rice milk in his cup to drink or for baking/cooking, and starting to use broth like was suggested!), but I didn't really have the right words for the initial discussion with them so thank you for helping me with it. 

It is so nice to have a sounding board for the things that I am finding in regards to allergies/intolerances so I appreciate having you ladies around! Thanks!!!
-Nadia