Author Topic: when am i suppose to feed her! there is no time!  (Read 1786 times)

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
when am i suppose to feed her! there is no time!
« on: June 13, 2013, 19:37:50 pm »
my lo is 6 months now and i have been introducing solids for about a month, very slowly. she is not such a fan, and oatmeal, well forget it, she just gags at it and spits it out, i can get her to eat a few tbs of fruit at times, but so far she has dinner meal and that it. my problem is that there is no time for more meals. she only naps 30 min at a time so has A time of about 1.45/2 hrs and eats every 3 hrs (i know its short thats why im pushing solids now) and she wont even look at a solids unless its close to the 3 hr mark since she ate, usually around 2.5hr.  so her feeding time is always running in to nap times and vice versa! she is a big hungry baby, and still wakes twice a night to eat a full bottle! so she has 6-7 bottles in 24hrs, Is it bad that i am only giving her one solid "meal" a day?

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: when am i suppose to feed her! there is no time!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 20:23:12 pm »
Don't stress too much about solids. Milk is their main source of nutrients and solids are just for fun and experimenting till the baby is one.
Have you thought of doing BLW or giving her food in a feeding mesh? Mine preferred to feed herself rather than being spoon fed, it was more fun for her and me:)

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 04:09:35 am »
I had the same experience as Eva. My DD was an awesome at BFing, and everyone thought she would love solids, but she wasn't real interested in purees. We moved to BLW around 7 mos, and she was much happier. And the best part is while she is feeding herself, you can get dishes done or eat yourself. But Eva is right, milk should be the primary source of nutrition, and at her young age, don't worry about replacing any milk feeds with solids. She'll get there...all kids do. :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:36:41 am »
In my experience even if all the naps are going well and LO is very interested in food it is still a struggle to fit in the naps, milk, solids and any play time. I felt like DS was constantly eating through his entire A time (meals took 45 mins to an hour!) and that I was constantly preparing meals, or cleaning up after them. It does settle down though, you will get into a rhythm of feeds.
I agree with pps regarding milk being the primary source of food until age 1.  Solids are not going to help your LO sleep through the night without milk feeds.  It's possible that a look at the sleep routine might help with the two night feeds (better day sleep can help improve night sleep) and perhaps drop to one but honestly it is normal for a LO to still have a night feed at this age, either a dream feed or a natural NW to feed on demand.  it is also normal to have more than one night feed during a growth spurt.  I wouldn't hurry to introduce more solids just yet.  Follow baby's lead, and like pps said, she may prefer finger food, and perhaps just to explore the texture, smell etc through play rather than actually eating it.  Food before one is just for fun :)

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 18:55:26 pm »
i think you may be right about the finger foods. we were outside with the kids and i had graham crackers as a snack for them, i gave one to the baby to hold and she was thrilled. kept her quiet for half hour just sucking on it