Author Topic: Toddler 'witching hour' activities  (Read 7293 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Toddler 'witching hour' activities
« on: July 18, 2013, 21:59:47 pm »
I'm just after a few ideas- I work 4 days and my DH works 5. So in the evenings I pick hamish up from my mum's and then we get home. I usually am making the dinner and DH will sort a few things out in the house- or something! This is of course the time that we are LEAST interested in creating stimulating activities for DS, and of course the period of time that he is LEAST interested in pottering around the house playing independently!! SOO- My grand plan is to put together some 'busy bags' or boxes of activities that DS can do by himself or alost by himself in the dining area and at his little table. Things that i can just pull out a different one of every day that he can occupy himself with to buy us a few more minutes!!

Any ideas?!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Toddler 'witching hour' activities
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 22:10:45 pm »
Depends on what he likes to do? Some boys will push cars round for hours. Olly never would so I would have to go for crafts, a jigsaw (esp around H's age), lego? TBH at that time of the day he normally gets the TV so we ALL get some 'Y' time ::)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 22:49:12 pm »
I think it's a good idea to have things you can pull out of your hat to entertain him but I think if you're working all day he probably can't be expected to self entertain no matter what the activity is as he is likely needing some mummy or daddy time. Can DH not leave the house things until after H is in bed and play with him while you do dinner or do dinner so you can have time with him?  Or even include him in the house stuff with DH. Otherwise i agree with pp to let him watch TV.

In that time when DH gets home from work to bedtime, I do dinner and he plays with the girls. We've banned iPhones and iPads at that time so they get 1:1 with him after not having seen him all day. After dinner we do board games and Simon says and that kind of stuff and then take a kid each and read books before heading upstairs.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 23:01:42 pm »
Does H like kids magazines? DS loves them and 'reads' them over and over until eventually they start to fall apart or get torn then I chop all the good pics out and we do a session together (not whilst you are making dinner of course!) sticking them onto a shoe box to decorate it and they become his busy boxes.
He has several busy boxes full of junk (sorry, precious things) any bits I pick up form the £ shop, free toys off magazines, little characters, random pebbles and pine cones he's collected on trips out, random stuff from party bags, just lots of different things to rummage through.  I also chop up the pictures off toy boxes (yk how they love the boxes!) and pop those in, he loves them even though he has the actual toy.  Some toys come with a large leaflet type thing showing tons of other toys in the collection, he loves looking at those too so they go in.

We also have some other boxes, not junk stuff:
- coloured cotton reels (rolling, stacking, sorting, counting) and a drinking straw (threading, it's easier than a string)
- coloured drinking straws (posting through a cereal box, sorting, counting etc) and an egg box (stabbing/construction)
- various containers with different types of closures, usually these are tubs from hand cream, make up or herb jars, spread tubs, screw top bottles, flip tops etc all thoroughly washed out of course (all plastic)
- cookie cutters (we have all sorts, animals, letters, numbers, shapes...)

One thing I am keeping an eye out for is a pair of salad server tongs, DS likes to serve himself dinner with the metal tongs but I don't feel comfortable leaving him with them, one edge is shaped in a way that could hurt if he fell of it or something. So with plastic tongs I would set up two bowls, one full of something like dried pasta or stones and let him practice his scissor skills.

Like Buntybear said though, DS will watch a bit of TV and have his chill out time if he's been busy out and about. And like Shiv said I'd more likely switch the plans around so that he got some mummy or daddy time, we rarely do anything that DS can't get involved in, we leave it until he's in bed.  He will clean the house with DP, vacuuming etc or I get him involved in making dinner or when DP isn't here DS will play kitchens in the kitchen with me whilst I cook.

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 00:21:38 am »
Yeh I agree with shiv. For us that time of day is disaster and always has been.. I am usually by myself so the kids have to entertain themselves, usually I BEG them to watch tv. Mine would not be capable of those kind of activities at that time of day, they are just too tired/hyper and would get frustrated and need my help. Tv all the way.. :-[

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:16:45 am »
We've banned iPhones and iPads at that time so they get 1:1 with him after not having seen him all day.

Hmm- i think this might be something to consider- there is often a bit of candy crush saga going on in this time ::)

Great suggestions Creations!

Glad to see so many TV suggestions ;D
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 02:20:38 am »
Yah we tend to have the TV on a little bit too much.
When DH is home though he has dedicated time with the boys, and I do anything else that has to be done. Dinner/clean up/get rooms ready for bed/shower... ;) DH will play blocks, duplo, forts (big in this house), cars etc.

Our bad time is 4.30-5.30 before DH home but generally home and Z bored. This is the only time he gets the iPad now. Seek and find (wonderkind apps I think) is fab and interactive but very simple. Z also likes the puzzles on the iPad.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 02:31:43 am »
Oh yeh we love seek and find!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 02:46:28 am »
Ooh! i'll have to look it up! I think it's hard as i know my mum already has him watch TV from about 4 or 4.30 or so waiting for me to pick him up- not the whole time probably- but i prefer to not just have him parked in front of the TV all afternoon. A couple of new Ipad apps might be good- you know if i get together a couple of activities, some new Ipad apps then at least it's not EVERY night that he's in front of the TV... I know ipad is also 'screen time'- but it does seem a little more engaging than the TV...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 02:51:48 am »
Oh yeh we love seek and find!
There is a new fire engine one too!

I like these because they are interesting and 'not' overly interactive YK? So the user makes each thing happen. It's not all going mad around them ;)
***Sara***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 03:02:11 am »
Another great one for us is called 'pango'- it's AWESOME for hamish's age- not too busy but plenty to do. Get the free one to see if it's suitable and then buy the full one- it was pretty cheap...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 03:40:20 am »
Yeh all my kids enjoy ir, in fact i quite enjoy iy myself ::)  will look that one up katy

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 06:14:50 am »
Same..I'm sure you will appreciate the f@rting animal in the farm one - you can turn it off if it offends you ;) bahaha I'm off to look up pango
***Sara***

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 08:05:53 am »
Lol sara, no that is my (our ::) ) kind of humour. Off to download it....

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 08:09:04 am »
Hmm can't find the fire engine one or the farm one ???