Author Topic: Looking for more fine motor ideas  (Read 10093 times)

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Looking for more fine motor ideas
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 09:45:17 am »
We got beads from Tesco. Quite cheap too. Hama beads also mentioned here too. Have fun!
LAURA xx

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 13:33:44 pm »
Anyone in the UK know where I can get some cheap and cheerful tongs/tweezers?

We just got this set: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3678491.htm#pdpProductReviews It's down to £2.49 in the Argos sale  ;D it comes with tweezers, scoopy tongs and a net which you can use for all sorts of things, and of course a small bucket with magnifying lid. DS loves it and uses it for all kinds of activities  :D

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 14:07:05 pm »
DP went to Sainsburys and looked all around then asked the assistant, no plastic tongs. maybe some shops stock different things or they sold out here?

Wooden clothes pegs - instant hit!  I just ripped the bag open and gave them to him with an old bit of card to pin them onto and he went for it (we had literally just arrived home from the shop so I hadn't done any set up).  They are a LOT easier to pinch than the plastic ones he's attempted to use in the past, and so far I haven't even needed to put letters or numbers on them to make him interested.  It's nice to see him squeezing the end together and working on it without straining.

Thanks for taking the time to list your activities from the OT Laura. I think we already do all or most of those.
Picking up small bits of broken food - every meal time really, peas, sweetcorn, blueberries, sultanas, slippery roast pepper etc etc
Wind up toys - I'm looking out for some as he only has one broken one!
Posting letters - make a post box out of cardboard - yes we made a post box together and post office desk too. We have role play games with customers asking for stamps, receipts car tax etc (there's a great postman pat free print out set on line more suited to an older LO than DS, your DS might like it) al of it involve stickers, writing/scribbling/posting/stamping with date or letters stamps and ink pad etc.
Building blocks - he can build an 18 little wooden block tower and really doesn’t care to play beyond that, it's a 2 or 3 min activity then move on.  He'll build megablocks or duplo so long as he has someone playing with him too.

But when it comes to these sort of things it just seems way beyond him. I think this is why we are a bit stuck between skill levels ??
Tracing lines / patterns
Drawing in between lines - so create some sort of maze and he tries to keep within the lines

He likes to do a few dot to dots with me, finds the numbers super fast and knows they are supposed to be joined with the pen but can't get a line from 1 to 2 without me guiding him. His pen skill/direction erratic to say the least, he also tries to go way too fast to control it.

HH that bug kit is a good idea.  I've considered them lots of times but kept thinking 'bugs' instead of 'oh there is a set of tongs like scissors' iyswim. The only bugs he will look at are a set of dead ones in a display case from malaysia, anything living he has 0.5 seconds interest so I put off buying the bug kit.  The scissor tongs look like they could scoop and pick up little stone or marbles, beans etc as a completely bug-free activity. Great!

I doubt he is delayed with his fine motor skills.  I'm just in search for something to entertain him at home on rainy days really.  By 9am he's already played a couple of hours with cars/trains/diggers and is really ready for something else yk.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 14:23:43 pm »
Just thought of another one that will be great - but only for this time of year - can he help you to pod peas? My DS used to love it at that age and still does (also loves picking and top and tailing fruit).

Fresh raw peas are also soooo yummy....
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 14:25:37 pm »
That's a lovely idea :)
He does like to help cook and he does like eating peas - perfect combo for him then!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 14:43:56 pm »
Fab!

Sorry you couldn't find the tongs. I think they were with all the disposable picnicware.  But again, maybe amazon is your friend here?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 19:13:48 pm »
Oh what about picking berries!?

We have a bug catcher, Zac loves it. Also has as a kids gardening set, his own scissors,spade, broom, rake (helps daddy rake leaves)

So you may think im a terrible parent but Zac loves pins...he only does it with my mum (not at home) and he pins into a pincushion. He uses the ones with the big round tops. We've never had a problem with him getting Hurt and he knows he can only do it with grandma sitting in a specific spot
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 19:17:38 pm by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 19:41:38 pm »
DS loves sewing! With a plastic needle? And felt?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 19:50:30 pm »
And MJN just reminded me Z loved my ribbons, buttons and fabric too for a while.
***Sara***

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 20:00:03 pm »
Oh what about picking berries!?
Definitely something I have on my Summer plan for days out.  I wasn't even thinking of it being fine motor, just a nice experience and a trip for us all.
I'm really looking for things at home indoors when we have rain, the last couple of days it's been like tropical storms after the heat wave.  My 'big plan' for summer is huge amounts of out door time and as much gross motor as possible so even on rainy days I'm trying to take him to indoor soft play and swimming, but the cost is too much to do all the time (plus a bit repetitive even with doing a rota of play parks and pools) and I have a hope for just one day per week where we don't go out, yk just chill together at home. I doubt we can manage it tbh.

We made a helicopter this afternoon which went down brilliantly.  It's a construction set he was given (free cycle) with nuts and bolts, spanner, screw driver etc and I really didn't think he was up for it, but suddenly he is :) I think the motivation came from me buying him a toolbox (again £ shop - wow I sound like a cheapskate!) this morning and he got all excited to put his tools in it, then asked to build the helicopter he saw in the instruction picture. A full 30 mins focus with me helping.  Then we did a 'work book' page together, a shapes and opposites book I picked up in the £ shop this morning which he really enjoyed.

He also had another go with the wooden pegs so that was great too :)

I would totally love to do gardening with him but we don't have a garden, our roof terrace is so hot on hot days and gets full on gales during the storms which just batters plants to dust.  I have set up an indestructible out door toy (play box with stones instead of sand, bucket, rake, wheelbarrow, watering can - yes he puts stones in it and pours them out - treasure stones to dig for, dinosaurs etc etc) but that's about our limit for outdoors at home.

I think sewing would be too fiddly for him yet. He still gets frustrated by the the big chunky beads and fruits at play group with fat string to thread through. I give him cotton reels and straws for threading at home and he's agreed to use the string once for those, I really don't think he could cope with smaller beads or a needle yet even a fat needle.
I think part of my search is something that is just the right level for him because he is SO INTENSE and gets very frustrated when he can't do something, I don't want to keep offering things that upset him even though I am happy for him to feel the drive of frustration and desire to want to master his skills.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 20:02:06 pm »
BTW great ideas everyone!  I think I sound dismissive of some of them because I have tried or already got lots of stuff for him.. but I am ever so grateful for all the ideas and inspiration  :-*

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
***Sara***

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 12:24:09 pm »
Quote from: Papaya on Yesterday at 07:02:56
have you tried something like Montessori sandpaper letters? Cut letter shapes out of fine sandpaper and stick on card, and show him the correct way to trace it with his finger. I've just started doing this with F
Does F sit still and show interest?  I have a set of letters just about identical to this (but bought, I saw them dirt cheap so just got them). He will only sit for about 30 seconds.

We only do it for about 10 mins a day (3 letters at a time) and we play as much with the sound of the letter (playing eye spy) as tracing the letter. She doesn't always want to trace it at all, she might just watch me. So it's not that much fine motor practice really! And if you're really after something to entertain him indoors and take up time in the day, it won't buy you much time.

F will spend AGES playing with cloud dough inside - like an hour. We do it on a plastic sheet on our tiled floor, so any that escapes off the sheet is easily swept up. It moulds like sand so lots of scooping, transferring, making castles, pressing shapes into it... Recipe here: http://theimaginationtree.com/2012/01/glitter-cloud-dough-beach-sensory-tub.html
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »
Here's some things i've found on pinterest- i haven't done them all- but i like the look of them!
http://pinterest.com/pin/181762534933909986/
http://pinterest.com/pin/181762534932542700/
http://pinterest.com/pin/181762534932177652/
http://pinterest.com/pin/181762534932075698/

too tired to pin more! will have a look again tomorrow...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 13:48:25 pm »
Another good cheap idea is to have LO put colourful cocktail sticks (with paper fruit / umbrellas / tinsel on top) into polystyrene / styrofoam blocks :)

Sticks are cheap from £ shops / supermarkets and foam is free (packaging material).

It has to be fully supervised as the ends of the wooden sticks are sharp, but DS loves creating tropical islands with them  ;D

You could even do an edible one with real fruit on sticks!