Author Topic: Looking for more fine motor ideas  (Read 10096 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Looking for more fine motor ideas
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 21:34:27 pm »
Thank you  :D

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 10:47:25 am »
yeah- bit of a bombardment ::) You have to let me know if you do any of them and find them good- or a total fail!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 14:38:15 pm »
They all look great Katy and I reckon I'd enjoy them all...just not convinced DS would be interested. I loooove the rolling pin printing one but I can just see me spending an age getting it all set up for DS to spend just 2 mins then walk off and leave me with the mess to clean up. I'm sure at some point in the future he *must* get interested in these sorts of things enough to stick at it for a decent length of time. I don't mind at all doing the activities with him, yeah it would be lovely to find something he can do on his own so I can do something else, but even doing crafts right with him it takes a lot of encouragement to get him to stay more than 2 mins.

I've done a few of those arts activities with him before, things like printing/painting with cars and animals, it's over so fast for him but again the set up and clean up for me is totally out of balance with the activity time, it just means I'm not available to do other stuff with him.

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 20:26:00 pm »
He will get better at sitting for things but to be honest it took for o to go to school before he'd sit and do craft type activities. I guess just seize the moment if he shows an interest in something which involves fine motor. That's what we try and do.
LAURA xx

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 21:03:57 pm »
Funny enough he will sit for a decent length of time to write a letter. OK only about a sentence long but a sentence is a lot of letter forming and sitting for a 2yo.  The 'work book' I got this week is a hit. We sat at his table for least 20 mins on the first 2 pages, he was so excited about it and ever so 'studious'!
He likes sitting together to do dot to dot too, it's just that he can't control the pen well enough to join the dots properly, but it's good practice.

Oh I also saw on one of those links using scissors to cut up play dough sausages/snakes. That's a good idea.  I'll certainly do that, I think it would be a easier way to practice rather than paper which he just can't manage.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 02:57:29 am »
yeah- hamish has quite liked cutting with the playdough.. cutting with paper is a really tricky bimanual task really- the paper hand actually has to do a lot of work...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 03:23:58 am »
Zac loves too cut everything! Playdoh is good, as is thin card. We have even used his scissors (clean them first) to help me cut herbs or veges smaller for tea (like spring onions) - its not pretty but it works!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 03:46:16 am »
All right ladies, your lovely work has been condensed into a single post and stickied on the G&D board here: Activities for developing fine motor skills

So add more to there if you come up with anything (though feel free to continue chatting about where to buy tongs, etc on this thread!)  :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 07:24:03 am »
Made the cloud dough yesterday - disaster! haha! DS enjoyed some of the measuring before telling em to do it, enjoyed a moment of stirring before telling me to do it and rubbed it through his fingers for about 2 mins before chucking a hand full across the kitchen counter, another on the floor and then giving up on it...however he did enjoy using the dustpan and brush and washing the kitchen floor :)

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 09:52:12 am »
My DS was quite a bit older before he really liked messy play. He was ever so funny about dirty hands for ages. But these days he is cool with it - I think he was about 4 by then.

DD spent ages drawing with chalk on the patio this weekend. My Mum got some chalks with handles and she seemed to like those much better - I guess she didn't like the chalk feeling on her hands.

There was a cool playdough activity I saw this weekend - printing letters into playdough and they decorating the impronts with beads. They looked like hama beads to me. Do you think your DS would like that? Seemed like fine motor hidden with letters to me  ;).

With the drawing - both my kids seemed to suddenly improve overnight - like Megan stopped doing scribbles and started drawing lots of circles. She can't cope with copying patterns or letters yet, but can draw faces if she is in the mood. She likes me drawing circles and she puts eyes and mouths on. We made paper dolls together. DS was kind of the same - all of a sudden he would improve without me doing anything particular. And he enjoys abstract art stuff much more now than when he was 2.5. I guess he appreciates the colours and creation, or notices how the colours mix, rather than simply creates which he was never that interested in. They both loved dipping string in paint and making worm paintings once.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 14:38:53 pm »
He was ever so funny about dirty hands for ages.
Yes he's a bit like that. I never bother with aprons when we do messy stuff because he stays basically clean and only does the activity 2 mins so it's just not worth it. However, he *will* get very dirty hands for a few mins, he'll squish messy stuff, rub paint all over a tray or paper for several mins and will do hand prints and foot prints on paper happily for a few mins.  Then he wants a wash and will rarely return to the activity.  He always enthuses about crafts if I suggest something but once we start it's like he doesn't see the point of it so just stops.  He does seem to be better with non-messy non-craft activities.

We do do quite a lot of things, I just find it hard to fill an entire day if we don't go out or if we can't stay out all morning, plus lunch, plus some of the afternoon up to nap time (2pm or 2.30pm). I always run out of ideas.

A couple of days ago he did several dot to dot pictures, he sees the numbers so fast but doesn't take the time with his pen to join them very well - that's where he needs to improve his fine motor because he wants to do it but can't yet.  He also spelled his name correctly for the first time, speaking the letters, so I quickly grabbed a tub of letter stickers and told him to find the letters, then once he had them all peeling the backs off (needed some help to start the peeling) and sticking them down in the right order. I turned it into a letter to Granny and we just wrote (hand over hand, he does most of the movement in the right directions, but again can't control the pen enough) "Dear Granny I can spell my name xxx" on the same paper as the stickered name, wrote Granny on the envelope and stuck the stamp on. He was so pleased with himself I suggested we do it again, so did exactly the same thing for Nana.  In all it must have taken about 30 mins because we were late starting our BT routine.  See, with this activity he must have seen a point to it, many activities he just doesn't see the point.
The next day I combined the dot to dot with spelling his name by writing his name, large letters, in yellow and putting dots around in black, he happily wrote on top of them with a darker pen, then did Mummy, Daddy, Granny and Nana, I was amazed he managed much of it himself with very little or no help hand over hand.  So maybe he his motor skills are beginning to catch up with his desire to do things.  Again it held his attention a lot longer than just giving him paper and a pot of pens/crayons/chalks.  With pens he just takes one lid off, does one mark on the page, says the colour, puts the lid back on, selects another colour, repeat. it is all fine motor skill, esp the lids, but 2 mins later all the colours have been named and used and he is finished. He won't just sit and draw/scribble yk.  Before his 2yo development check I started to get concerned that he couldn't draw a circle (wouldn't even scribble in circles or spirals) and one day I asked him very specifically "will you draw a circle"
"no"
"will you draw a zero"
"no"
"will you draw an O"
"no"
"will you draw earth"
"oh yes...earth, saturn, venus, jupiter..." circle after circle and when he ran out of planets he put the pen down and walked away.

Today he posted a ton of play letters in his play post box before I even dragged myself out of bed. Breakfast he always eats with a fork, we've done mono printing (a heap of prep and cleaning for me, some enjoyment from him but not hugely), he made lunch, opening the mayo jar and spooning some out, lid back on, chopping spring onions with spring loaded kitchen duck scissors (kid friendly), mixing with fish, chopped yellow peppers and cucumbers with his dog knife, spread butter onto bread and spread the fish spread on, cut each sandwich in half, shared out the pieces of pepper and cucumber - all fine motor stuff and all interest him.  I gave him some tiny potato sticks (not healthy!) with his sandwich so he got a fair amount of fine motor practice picking those up too.  He's also dialled Granny's number on the phone to call her for a chat, made a traffic jam of toy cars, and put about 3 DVDs in the machine and turned it on (including opening the boxes releasing the disc and putting them all away too) - lots of fine motor. Just not lots of time taken up!  The DVDs took up a fair whack of time though.

I still have this afternoon to fill.  It's pouring outside.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 16:09:17 pm »
Does he like sensory trays?
Like this?
***Sara***

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 21:11:48 pm »
Oh Sara Z is so adorable!
Z and DS are clearly very different kids :) DS loves a sensory tray yeah, loves to shout "oh wow!" then smile lovingly at me and say, "Thank you Mummy!" and then empty it on the floor, spread the contents around and walk off to look for something else to do  :D ::)  :D

We do have limited success with the large tray outside on the terrace with rocks in it on the rare occasion the weather is suitable to go out there.  He seems less inclined to empty the whole tray of rocks/gravel out and will dig a bit, dump in his wheel barrow, line up the trucks and drop stones into his watering can.  10 -20 mins if he has someone fully involved with him.

He does play with his cars and trucks a lot though, lining them up, driving them etc.
The more I think about it the more I suspect we are just trapped between two developmental milestones and that the difficulty of entertaining him at home just now is down to this.  Things are either too easy so over in a flash, or too hard so not really attempted or too pointless so he lacks motivation.

I left a washed out spread tub and lid for him today and he immediately got excited and ran off to get a selection of characters to pile into it.  That somehow developed into a long imaginative play session where he did different voices for each character and one of them had to rescue a car from "an emergency" where it had become trapped in the operators section of a crane/wrecking ball truck thing which in turn had become trapped in the chimney of a card play house. It was all very involved and exciting although I fail to see what it had to do with low fat spread and the tub was abandoned in the kitchen half full of little people :P

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 00:06:32 am »
We have just had a leap, before this Z was very frustrated a lot of the time. Definately around the age your DS is now, he was struggling to self play and/or play with anything for longest an 5 mins. He was a little lost YK?

Remember they all are so different! Sounds like he is totally normal for his age :D
***Sara***