Author Topic: Looking for more fine motor ideas  (Read 10079 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Looking for more fine motor ideas
« on: July 28, 2013, 22:23:12 pm »
I feel like I've tried everything but I can't have. There must be something that DS would get really interested in, I just need to find it.  He doesn't colour or scribble for more than 2 mins, same with paint, sticking, all sorts of crafts I've tried.  It's not that there is zero interest but mostly it takes me 10 mins to set something up then 2 mins of him doing it and another 10 mins for me to clean up, if I keep doing that through the day it's rather long and most of my time is on setting/cleaning up the crafts rather than playing with DS.  I think he'd enjoy all the activities more if he had better fine motor skill, bit of a catch 22 really because he doesn’t spend long enough on them to improve his fine motor skill.

It's rainy this week so I'm looking for fine motor suggestions for indoor play.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Looking for more fine motor ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 22:40:45 pm »
Beads - use Sellotape to make the end longer and stiffer to make threading easier
Playdough - great for strengthening muscles
Making patterns in coloured salt tray
Learning scissors (let them have small real ones that work!)
Duplo
Playing with nuts and bolts, screwing bottle lids

The first fine motor craft DS loved were usborne sticker books - the ones where you make scenes. They do tons  :).

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:32:03 am »
Stick a piece of uncooked spaghetti into a lump of playdough so it stands up vertically, then thread cheerios on. You can also thread cheerios onto a piece of string to make a bird feeder.
Claire x

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:30:32 am »
Beads - use Sellotape to make the end longer and stiffer to make threading easier
Playdough - great for strengthening muscles
Making patterns in coloured salt tray
Learning scissors (let them have small real ones that work!)
Duplo
Playing with nuts and bolts, screwing bottle lids

The first fine motor craft DS loved were usborne sticker books - the ones where you make scenes. They do tons  :).

Well...I was coming on with a list...but liz has them all!

Zac has a marble run he loves - helps set it up and then plays either the marbles.

We also do a lot of outside play and I find this helps develop those skills. Like gardening, playing in sand' with sticks, picking flowers/weeds, finding bugs and holding them, playing with pegs et
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:02:56 am »
We started with threading beads onto pipe cleaners (tie a loop in one end to stop them falling off) - much easier than shoe laces etc.

Using a small spoon or ladle to transfer coloured stones, small animal figures, pompoms, anything really, from one bowl to another. Same with using tongs. F won't stick at this for long, but it only takes a minute to set up!

Using clothes pegs somehow - I bought some small plain wooden clothes pegs, stuck a symbol on each and made a cardboard wheel with the same symbols on it, and F has to match them up.

I agree about the real scissors - F had some kiddy "safe" scissors, but they were so frustrating even for me, they wouldn't cut anything unless at EXACTLY the right angle. So now she has some small real ones and will spend half an hour cutting a piece of paper into tiny pieces.

He's into letters, isn't he - have you tried something like Montessori sandpaper letters? Cut letter shapes out of fine sandpaper and stick on card, and show him the correct way to trace it with his finger. I've just started doing this with F.

How about chalk - either on a blackboard, or on the concrete outside? F seems to be able to spend longer with chalk than crayons, I think it's a better size for her to hold.

"Painting" with a paintbrush and water outside? No clean-up to worry about ;)

I'm keen for more ideas myself!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:05:53 am by Papaya »
*Nuala*

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:36:31 am »
L has some threading cards from the ELC. Basically a picture with holes in it around the edge and you thread a shoe-lace like thread through the holes to 'draw' the picture.
L likes them cos she says she is sewing like granny.

Also have some plastic tweezers and small balls/Pom poms for sorting/moving about.

TBH though she's not really one for sitting still long enough to actually complete any of these activities (but she'll play with play dough for ages) but she has a go

Oh one other idea is she likes 'sorting' my button tin and also playing with buttons+play dough - she makes cherry cakes!

And making scones I guess is good for strengthening hand muscles - the bit where you rub the butter into the flour.  But not though of it like that before..!

I guess she prob does other things that help but don't really think of it like that when were doing them.

What about making pictures with beads/pegs on a board? I think Nicola got some v cheap from a pound shop recently for her DD. been meaning to find some for L
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:44:27 am by cathn »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 06:49:02 am »
Oh yes, F loves her pegs on a board - she doesn't make pictures yet, but sorts the colours and sticks them all in. And she loves to knead dough - real dough, when we're making pizza or something.
*Nuala*

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:59:32 am »
When I get a chance (remember ;) ) I'll list down O's fine motor activities from the occupational therapist.
LAURA xx

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:04:33 am »
I'll come back later tonight with some pins- you might have tried them already- but more ideas the better hey!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:59:35 am »
Thank you ladies.
I've tried many of these and he has very limited interest for example he will get through his box of containers with lids very quickly (all different types of containers I put together for opening/closing) because he can do it, on the other hand he won't entertain his nuts and bolts because he finds it too hard.  So we get stuck with it being either too easy or too hard.  He loves stickers but gets insanely frustrated because he wants me to peel them off the sheet, I encourage him to do it himself and he will be ok for about 2 mins and I see his feeling of achievement when he manages one or two but then he loses interest because it's hard.  He loves me to get the play dough out, but then wants me to do everything whilst he does almost nothing.  I think fine motor play is just not his thing right now - which I suppose is why I'm looking for more ideas.

Anyone in the UK know where I can get some cheap and cheerful tongs/tweezers?  I've been looking out for plastic salad server tongs but not found any yet. I have metal ones but there is quite a sharp edge and i know he'd end up running up and down with them rather than sitting still with them (I let him use them at dinner when he can't leave the table but otherwise they are not suitable for play).

Nuala I like the wooden peg idea. I think he would be more interested in pegs if they had meaning (he won't just 'play' with our pegs) - like letters written on each one, and i could make a series of cards with words for him to match up the letters and peg them on. I've added pegs to my shopping list.

Rubbing flour and butter he won't do, kneading real dough he won't do.  He appears interested because it is 'real' (we do do cooking together) but when it really comes to it he finds it too hard, not enough of an instant result and tells me to do it.

I've added peg board to my shopping list too.

The first fine motor craft DS loved were usborne sticker books - the ones where you make scenes.
Added to wish list they look great, thanks :)
DS had two 'scenes' in reading books that came with stickers, he was motivated to try harder/longer because the stickers related to the story and he was supposed to retell the story on the board.  He's far more likely to pile the stickers all on top of one another. Did you find this or was the scene done 'correctly'?  He also likes looking back at the 'scene' he made but that doesn’t involve any fine motor, just looking and I suppose a degree of imagination as he re-lives the story looking at it.

have you tried something like Montessori sandpaper letters? Cut letter shapes out of fine sandpaper and stick on card, and show him the correct way to trace it with his finger. I've just started doing this with F
Does F sit still and show interest?  I have a set of letters just about identical to this (but bought, I saw them dirt cheap so just got them). He will only sit for about 30 seconds. I think he knows how most/all the letters are formed even though he can't do it alone so lacks interest in tracing them with his finger. We can write a letter to Granny and it holds his attention for 5 mins, he gets very excited about it. I do hand over hand and mostly it feels like he is trying to form the letters correctly himself although if I let go he has just about no control of the pen. I think this is why he doesn't draw or scribble much, he just can't control the pen/chalk/crayon to the level he wants.

I'll list down O's fine motor activities from the occupational therapist.
Oh yes please if you find time!
I really feel like I've tried a lot. I know he is way more interested in gross motor, tearing around the play park or soft play. We do LOTS of this but there's a limit to how much I can pay out to go to swim/soft play and it's too wet just now for play parks.

Maybe I'm trying too hard. I mean just now he is entertaining himself with cars and his garage and some imaginative play with conversations going on between cars and little characters. He is turning a transformer from car to robot repeatedly and that involves fine motor.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 08:00:54 am »
Duplo? Does he like to build?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:15:04 am »
Creations - he sounds a lot like L. She is much more interested in climbing, running jumping etc but also imaginary play. She's always on the go though and doesn't like to sit still that much.

I like Sara's idea of gardening as L likes to do this a lot (she has her own child set of tools and a small watering can) and can potter about with them for ages. Much more interested in that than actually sitting down to do an activity.

Jigsaws I guess involve fine motor - fitting the pieces together. L went through a phase of loving this but not so interested any more (prob cos she's done all hers so many times now - will have to put some more on her birthday list..)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 08:32:59 am »
Ok so quite a lot have been mentioned already but I'll list the ones which haven't!
Picking up small bits of broken food (hundreds and thousands!) or perhaps you could buy something he'd like to eat and then he can pick it up and eat it!
Wind up toys
Posting letters - make a post box out of cardboard
Building blocks
Tracing lines / patterns
Drawing in between lines - so create some sort of maze and he tries to keep within the lines

He then has a "hand gym box" which has a selection of the following in - and the idea is that he goes to the box and chooses the activity - now I appreciate your DS is quite a bit younger but again I'll list the ideas given to us not mentioned previously!
Hole punched card for threading string
Multilink bricks
Plastic container with split peas / lentils in move items in and out
Pick up sticks - could use matches??
Nuts and bolts (use real ones much more interesting!) for screwing and unscrewing just like daddy!
Stress ball - good for strengthening
Jigsaws
Putty rather than playdoh so it can be stretched and squidged

The others have listed a lot of good ones on O's list already.  He also has print out of various lines which he can try and cut along.

Hope that helps!
LAURA xx

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 08:42:09 am »
Our nursery recommended Hama beads for fine motor stuff!

And I've just bought a pair of plastic tongs for 75p in Sainsbury's. Tweezers in plastic can be got from amazon, haven't found them elsewhere yet.

Have you googled Montessori activities? They have loads and loads for fine motor skills.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 08:50:59 am »
a pair of plastic tongs for 75p in Sainsbury's
Brilliant thank you! Sainsburys is one shop I never go to, but I've just despatched a request to DP to get some next time he passes which is quite frequently.

Thanks for the other ideas too. I'll have to come back later as we are about to go out, my hope of just one day at home is already cancelled and we are off out to play on escalators and look around the £ shop for beads and peg boards.