Author Topic: It's time to fix my 3 yr olds eating habits...  (Read 10894 times)

Offline Mama_Mia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Re: It's time to fix my 3 yr olds eating habits...
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2013, 04:12:09 am »
M won't eat chicken nuggets either unless I take the breading off. He doesn't like anything breaded.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2013, 05:12:23 am »
So...what is the best approach to get him eating a proper dinner meal? He is nap dropping so him and t are often having dinner at 5pm. They eat at their table with me. I will often munch with them. He flat out refuses things on his plate he doesn't like. Almost to the point he is anxious about it. And he has textural and temp issues with food.

DS 2 seriously didn't eat Dinner more than 1-2/week until he was about 4yo, even now at 8yo he would eat 80% of his food before noon & some days (like yesterday) he ate an apple for Dinner.

One of the things I've always said is "it is my job to provide the healthy options it is their job to choose to eat it. The main thing is if they don't eat it they don't get anything else...
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2013, 08:00:34 am »
If he'll eat fruit in things (I assume you mean jam, muffins/cakes but...) how about trying a fruit sandwich?  Mashed banana, or thinly sliced strawberry - put marmite on too if it helps. Odd combo but then many cultures have combinations other cultures would turn their nose up at yk?
I would keep switching the bread types if he will eat different sorts so that he sees something looking different on his plate. I know to us bread is bread but the visual aspect changing may help him be more adventurous with other things.  pitta bread, flat bread, english muffins, rolls, crumpet, french baguette.  Maybe switch up his breakfast toast with one regular slice and one crumpet?  (and if he only eats he regular toast then he'll be more hungry at lunch? perhaps more willing then to eat something else) Make lunch with a tortilla wrap (filling can still be grated cheese or marmite).  For a good while DS wouldn't eat pizza (kids saying no to pizza??) so we used to make our own on a large garlic flat bread and leave a section without toppings for him, then put cold toppings on his plate.

Have you tried canned fruit?  I personally hate canned fruit but DS loves it (but then he loves all fruit so..), canned peaches for example taste and texture is totally different to a fresh peach. Canned fruit still counts as fruit and here I can buy it in juice only, not syrup or sugar so it is still healthy.  Canned strawberries make me want to vom but I know people who love them too, again totally different texture - perhaps try these instead of jam in a sandwich, mush them up and they could almost be jam like?

Have you tried baked fruit?  Or steamed? Softer and more pulpy like a jam, could be mashed up too?

Will he eat fruit crumble?  I don't make a lot of dessert but if I make a crumble I do oat and peanut butter topping and the fruit is fresh or canned or mixed with a little lemon juice sprinkled over the fruit if it is quite dry, no sugar so really its like baked fruit with a crunchy topping.

I agree with pps that dinner can be so hard esp when they are tired. DS can be starving, and is a good eater, but if he is too tired he has a melt down at dinner or just sits there unable to eat anything even though I know how hungry he is.  This week he said he was really hungry but when dinner arrived on the table he burst out crying.  I've had to make dinner silly early at times when he was nap dropping etc.  4.30pm was the latest I could push it when he was really tired.

Another thing that really helped here (when he wouldn't eat protein) was to switch breakfast. I didn't even say anything about it, I just put a sausage in front of him instead of muesli and he ate the lot. I was flabbergasted. I don't think you want to push Z too hard yet with all these different things going on for him, but when the time comes to take it a step further perhaps veg at breakfast??

Do you know another kiddie with a good appetite that you can play date with for lunch?  The first time mine ever tucked into a sandwich full on was his own b/day party where the food was made by the party caterers and every kid was around the table tucking in, DS ate several sandwiches, even with ham on that he had never ever touched before.

You prob tried most/all these things.  Just throwing ideas out there.
Many hugs too x

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2013, 08:07:45 am »
Sara, I was following along but did not post as I do not have much advice, as F has always been a good eater.
But what I was thinking is: could dinner at 5 be too early for him? Ok, we live in another country and here dinner is never before 7.30-8, but I know I would not feel hungry at 5 for a dinner, maybe for a snack but not for a dinner. If he eats better at 7, can you offer a snack while T is eating and offer proper dinner later?
I see he is tired when didn't nap so later dinner is not an option. But on nap days you can do it?

Anyway, I would tend to give in if he asks for a healthy food after dinner (it happened he asked for fruit or milk), if this food is not the only thing he eats... Another thing I was thinking is: I saw you offer formula/milk after dinner. Could this disrupt his appetite during the day? I know that I had to eliminate milk befire bt very early (he was before 18 mo) as he was barely eating breakfast (this has always been the most problematic meal). Maybe you can keep milk for when he is more tired on nnd and doesn't eat properly for dinner?
Barbara

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2013, 08:20:45 am »
Hi Sara,

I don't know if your local supermarket has them, but here we can get things like fruit buttons, wriggles, srtips and melts which are 100% fruit but look like sweeties / lollies  ;)

May be worth a try?

Also we can get veg crisps and fruit chips (or you can make your own if you have a dehydrator).

My DS wouldn't eat fruit unless it was pureed for a long time - now he'll eat a small selection if it is finely chopped, but only strawberry, peach or pear (preferably tinned so it's still mushy  ::))

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2013, 10:32:00 am »
Sara that is great that he sat up for his meal.  That is the most important bit of instilling healthy eating habits. And by making that the rule it totally takes the pressure off him having to eat.

I'd have no problem with supper. When we'd dodgy eating times I often did supper and gave mine porridge or weetabix.

Don't underestimate how much the nap dropping can affect things. R barely ate dinner for months!

Hugs. You're doing great x

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2013, 01:41:54 am »
Hey ladies! I have been meaning to post for days ::) overall things are improving. He is eating with less reluctance. He is eating overall more, and asking less for rubbish - then refusing everything else.

I've gone against my first  instincts to try a rewards chart. Tbh it's actually working well. No pressure just if he eats breakfast he gets a sticker. If he eats lunch he get so one too, if he tries 2 things on his plate for dinner then he gets a little choc drop or similar reward at the end of the day. I'm not making him finish his plate, or eat his entire sandwich, it's a reasonable amount ie not 1 bite. Arvo snack has been dropped other than if eye is hungry something very light like potato sticks.

I know the above  isn't to everyone's liking, but it's working for him and I honestly did not think it would. I know we have the risk of him expecting this every day going forward, but if I get 3 good meals a day I don't care if he has a choc drop after dinner...he's had them for other reasons before through rough periods and it's never become expected.

:-* thanks Kate

HH - I've tried all those fruit things, even tried apple crisps and he didn't even try them. Ugh.

Creations - he eats English muffins, fruit toast, crumpets, normal toast and bread but not keen on white. He is fussy with rolls though ::) loves banana bread. Won't touch wraps. I'll defiantly work on his sandwiches and try some banana in there ;)

Barbara - he has a drink before. Brushing teeth, but he is always hungry at breakfast :-\ I'm dropping the volume...but I guess to me it's no different to a kid having a glass of milk! he just has formula because he doesn't like milk. ... Unfortunately I have to offer dinner at 5 as Bt is 6 - he has just dropped the nap. If anything I Think shiv is right, tiredness is affecting his dinner.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:44:34 am by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2013, 09:06:41 am »
Glad you've found something that works for you! I'm sure things will improve asyou get through the nap drop.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2013, 11:42:05 am »
I have no issues with reward charts at all. They can definately serve a purpose. I did use stickers but when we moved to the one bite rule M knew she'd get a sweet after dinner. It's exactly the same principle. And it worked here too.

Glad things are moving forward. He's making great progress!!! Well done you!!! 

Oh and if he's hungry in the morning I wouldn't worry too much about the formula at bedtime x

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2013, 12:40:18 pm »
If BT is at 6 could you drop the pm snack and do teatime at 4pm? I sometimes do this with my kids on a school day if they are really tired, just a thought (although I am in no position to offer advice on fussy eating ;) )

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2013, 19:32:58 pm »
So pleased you have positive news! Good for you and for Z!

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2013, 19:50:01 pm »
I think reward charts that are about a goal that is in the best interests of the health of a child & they are the primary beneficiary & is teaching them a good goal setting objective are very different to when they primary beneficiary is someone other than the child.
At the end of the day I kind of have reward at the end of the day, if I've eaten well I'll have chocolate after dinner, but if I've not I try to pick a healthier option if I'm looking for something sweet KWIM.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 08:25:34 am »
Things are going ok. He is Eating much MORE through the day...but he still isn't tryinganythingnew :-\

Should I be worried?

Heh as insane textural issues. For example I made mini muffins tom could eat, with bananas in them. He won't eat the crunchy edges (their not even crunchy ::) ) should I be concerned?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2013, 09:35:42 am »
50+ years ago a "varied diet" would mean that the potatoes with dinner were cooked in a differentway & you had an apple on one day & an orange the next... actually that was only about 40 years ago when I was a child LOL. So honestly if you can count 20 different foods he will eat you are doing ok.. my DS1 was eating about 20 at 3yo & now he eats better than a lot of his peers... favourite vegetables include potato, corn, cauliflower, brussel sprouts (yep you read correctly) & roasted beetroot LOL.

I think if you get a new food tried every 3-4 weeks you are making progress, at 3/4yo their taste buds are actually the most sensitive & so food tastes are challenging.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2013, 11:13:53 am »
Yeah I agree with Kate that varied these days is very different to how it used to be.

I'm not a big fan of dressing food up as something it isn't but I do do it occasionally. Would he go for things cut into shapes (digger shaped cookie cutter on thinly sliced sweet potato then oven baked??) or laid out in a special way on his plate? I don't actually do this to get DS to eat I just do it now and again for the fun of it, but it's amazing how he responds to an alien face dinner or little animals made out of fruit and veg or crackers etc.  He saw 'clam crackers' on a TV prog it was just two round crackers with a dollop of cream cheese inside and two sultanas as eyes to make it look like a little clam in a shell. He went crazy for them.

DS also has some texture issues but I tend not to think about it as I can get around it all so easily. He won't eat mash potato or anything mashed, or anything grainy like rice, cous cous, quinoa.  It does sound a wee bit picky to not like the 'crunchy' bit of a muffin, you just mean where it has cooked slightly harder on the outside don't you?  But compared to DS's refusal of all grainy/bitty things it doesn't sound that bad.  Does he dislike all crunchy food?  crunchy bread crust? crisps/potato chips?

This is probably doesn't help you but it was an amazing move forward here DS never ate fish or meat so I'll tell you just on the off chance.  We had roast chicken (done in the oven with lots of seasoning on the skin which went crispy) and instead of offering him the meat I just gave him a piece of the skin and asked "do you want to try this, it's like wet crisps?" Now he had only eaten crisps (pre pack snack type things) a couple of times, party food, but he knew he liked them.  So the idea of something that was like crisps, yeah he ate it, asked for more, then more then more, and I eventually gave him a bit with some meat attached and he ate it.  Now he will eat several pieces of chicken meat if it is roasted and if he can have some skin. I think all the seasoning really helped too, made a very strong flavour like a pack of crisps.  Possibly too salty but he doesn't get it everyday so never mind.