Author Topic: It's time to fix my 3 yr olds eating habits...  (Read 10917 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
It's time to fix my 3 yr olds eating habits...
« on: October 31, 2013, 18:20:41 pm »
To cut a long story short Zs eating was rubbish during molar teething, then he improved, then T was born and during the process of surviving Zs eating habits were what ended up being the thing that we didn't have energy to work on.
This winter he has been sick a lot but he is well now, and I want to work on this as he eats an embarrassingly little selection of food.

We eat breakfast together. He usually eats a good volume of toast with jam, marmite or the odd one with peanut butter (though I think he is intolerant to PB) sometimes he has crumpets/muffin splits and also a yogurt or dairy food. WAter and sometimes diluted juice if he asks. (Vege juice usually)

Then The day deteriorates ::)

He used to eat bananas but he is refusing them. He loves snacks...like fruit bars, crackers etc.

Lunch he will eat a sandwich but the only fruit and veg I'm getting I not him is hidden or in things YK?

He used to never eat dinner, couldn't care less about it. But now he is improving a little.

So...what is the best approach to get him eating a proper dinner meal? He is nap dropping so him and t are often having dinner at 5pm. They eat at their table with me. I will often munch with them. He flat out refuses things on his plate he doesn't like. Almost to the point he is anxious about it. And he has textural and temp issues with food.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 18:22:16 pm by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: It's time to fix my 3 yr olds eating habits...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 18:33:33 pm »
Spencer had a lot of texture issues and used to lose it if a food she didnt like was on her plate...she just finally will allow that with a lot of coaching. 

One thing we did that was suggested was to serve very tiny portions of her go to foods and use a request for more as a bargaining chip. It was in stages though...even getting her to lick a new food was a victory. I think anna had a good set up of doing things iirc that involved different stages of working up to trying things.
Heidi

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 20:06:06 pm »
Do you think this a power struggle thing and he's trying to assert himself, or he's really just not interested? Tbh if he's just not interested I don't think I would worry too much about it as long as he's healthy and gets decent food the rest of the day.  My DD is the opposite and is not interested in breakfast and it used to really bother me that she can go from 5pm - 12pm with little to no food, but she's not suffering for it.  I suppose it might be a problem when she's school age, but for now I just let her get on with her lunch and dinner.

If it's a power struggle thing this might help
http://alphamom.com/parenting/toddler-food-wars-dinnertime-hunger-strike-edition/
I read her blog and have seen it linked by other posters too (probably you and you've already read this!).  She also has experience with texture issues with her oldest son
Emma

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 21:46:09 pm »
Thanks for that blog post link Emma  :-*

My 3yo is testing the limits by wanting to eat every meal on the sofa with the TV on atm  >:( Time to get really tough on this one, and stop the TV watching completely for a while! I like the idea of keeping him at the table until mealtime is over  :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 22:54:03 pm »
Spencer had a lot of texture issues and used to lose it if a food she didnt like was on her plate...she just finally will allow that with a lot of coaching. 
I'm putting on a tiny amount of something 'foreign' (but not really) and telling him he an just leave it if he doesn't like it. I'm wondering if Im better to have two plates a while ago this worked and he puts what he wants on his plate?

I don't want to have to bargain...but I feel I'm doing it YK :-\

Do you think this a power struggle thing and he's trying to assert himself, or he's really just not interested?
Honestly, he's never been 'that"' interested I n food. Not like Tom is ::) but a lot of it was textural ie meat or too hot (when not even hot) then he remembers this! He doesn't want something else he just says no. Thing is he is happy to go hungry but it affects his behaviour. Blood sugar etc.

I don't think it's a power struggle. I have never made food an issue because I know someone who made food an issue and that child had huge issues with food their entire life. Plus he is sensitive, very Intense, stubborn but also fragile YK?

HH yeah the tv couch thing was a problem here too but I've (hopefully) got that one under control ;)

I'll check the blog out. I guess I feel like I have caused this - but I haven't really had a choice :( something had to give when things were rough, and that was it
***Sara***

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 23:05:45 pm »
A few things that helped here;

Eating together - adults and kids - at as many meal times as you can manage.
Identifying foods he does like and serve them regularly. Everyone eating that food so you all eating it at the same time and together. Then you can expand on those foods. Serve them in different ways or with one small bit of a new food on the side of it.
Avoid too much snacking in between meals.
Avoid too much drink. I saw a super nanny style programme here the other day where the 3 YO was drinking litres of drinks and then not eating his dinner. He was just full from the liquid!
Olly LOVES serving himself from bowls. So when I try some thing new I put it in big bowls in the middle of the table so he serves himself and then us too. This is one of the big things that really turned his eating round actually.

Hope some of this helps. x

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 23:12:39 pm »
Don't blame yourself, you do what you have to.  I know I've had days where it's just survival and that's with only one fairly angelic LO!  Food is such a tough issue with NOT making it an issue, wanting to keep them healthy, creating good habits etc, it's bound to go off the rails at some point.  And kids are weird.  My DD also says things are too hot if they're even slightly warm so I give her everything cold, even real meals like soup or spag bol.  I think it's disgusting but whatever, it works!

BTW if you do read the blog her son who is refusing dinner is also nap dropping... maybe he and Z are in long distance cahoots

Posted with Buntybear and agree about the snacking!  But have actually found the opposite wrt eating together.  I would love to have family meals but DH is usually home later than DD would eat so we have dinner after she is in bed.  But I found when I try to eat something with her she just wants what's on my plate even though it's the same thing, won't feed herself, and is generally quite annoying!  If I just sit with her without food she is great - stays sitting and uses cutlery, tries new things and eats a decent amount.  I guess at some point we will have to get her to behave appropriately at family meals but for now it's working.
Emma

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 23:32:50 pm »
My kids aren't big eaters, and J has been pretty fussy at times but I've tried not to stress about it in the hope that if I ignore it it will go away! (head in the sand!). But actually it has worked that way a bit.
They eat most of their food at breakfast time so we stock them up on good stuff then.

Things that help at dinner time are:
1. Serving TINY portions of everything (like 1 bite each). I think we were overwhelming them with food to begin with. Then you can celebrate their success at finishing something and offer seconds etc (second helpings, especially of things they love are often slightly bigger and they love counting how many helpings they've had).
2. Giving lots of options on the table. At meals we often put out things like grated carrot, cheese, lettuce, gherkins, crushed pineapple, avocado, tomato (things that we often have in the fridge anyway). It doesn't always go with the meal, but it's another chance to get them to eat a variety of things (and they do like most if not all of these things). If we're having beans which J doesn't like I can say "fine, today you can choose to have more lettuce and avocado instead if you don't want to eat the beans". Takes the battle out. He does try the "yuck" food from time to time still.

J has some (very minor but nevertheless they are there) sensory issues and we recently discovered he will eat peas if they are skinless ::). I now give him a few peas and say "you need to eat your peas. If you want to peel them that's fine, but it's your responsibility". I was worried for a while about letting him peel them but then figured it's more important to me that he eats peas and enjoys peas than how he does it so I suck it up and try not to watch!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:11:19 am by Edesanja »
Jenny - mama to

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 23:42:17 pm »
Lol at peeling peas! I just read that link (thanks emma) and downloaded the book she recommends. Something has to change here too :-[

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 00:12:02 am »
Eating together - adults and kids - at as many meal times as you can manage.
Identifying foods he does like and serve them regularly. Everyone eating that food so you all eating it at the same time and together. Then you can expand on those foods. Serve them in different ways or with one small bit of a new food on the side of it.
Avoid too much snacking in between meals.
It's so hard to eat together unless it's weekends for dinner anyway as the boys are in bed before 6.30 most days and DH isn't home till 5.45. If I plan to do dinner as soon as he comes In it's madness. The boys just want to tumble with him YK?

I think we need to work on the snacking :-\ I'm going to try setish snack times. It works well in the am...sometimes the arvos just get out of control.

I do think Z eats better when he can pick and choose himself too.

Z isn't into eating with a fork or knife much either. He will do it, but only for fun really. ::) he butters and cuts his toast though. He is very good with a spoon.

Things that help at dinner time are:
1. Serving TINY portions of everything (like 1 bite each). I think we were overwhelming them with food to begin with. Then you can celebrate their success at finishing something and offer seconds etc (second helpings, especially of things they love are often slightly bigger and they love counting how many helpings they've had).
2. Giving lots of options on the table. At meals we often put out things like grated carrot, cheese, lettuce, gherkins, crushed pineapple, avocado, tomato (things that we often have in the fridge anyway). It doesn't always go with the meal, but it's another chance to get them to eat a variety of things (and they do like most if not all of these things). If we're having beans which J doesn't like I can say "fine, today you can choose to have more lettuce and avocado instead if you don't want to eat the beans". Takes the battle out. He does try the "yuck" food from time to time still.
thank you. I do think I sometimes overwhelm with too much food. I just want him to eat something so put too much on there ::)

I'm a tad irate at DH too...come the weekend and he just gives Z rubbish. I walk in to see them munching on crap when I've spent all week not giving it to him to encourage healthy eating habits. Words will be had tonight...

Ill download that book
***Sara***

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 13:07:35 pm »
Grrr to your DH!

I think I read somewhere that for trying new things you can ask the child to give it a rating (how many out of ten?) instead of 'just try it'. There was then something about keeping a record and showing them that the score improves each time they try it, but that was far too involved for me. So we just ask him to give stuff a rating and don't pressure any more than that.

Have you tried just fruit or veg for snack? Silly presentation? Picnic on the floor? Etc etc ....
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 13:56:01 pm »
It is hard to eat together I know. I was just suggesting that you really try for as many as you can. If week days don't work then go all out for weekends!

What foods does he eat? Then we can help work out alternatives based on that.

ie for a long time Olly would only eat dry foods. ie dry rice with chicken and veg on the side. First I mixed the chicken and rice together. then added the veg. Then added some soy. Now we have chicken fried rice as a meal for us all - served out of a big bowl in the middle of the table that Olly serves us from  ;D

Or if he eats pasta. Try different shapes. It all makes a difference to appearance and texture and just let them experience different things but within their comfort zones.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 14:06:04 pm »
My dh does the same!

One thing though...with things like a picnic etc for us I steered away from that as then it would be expected when all I really wanted was them to eat at the table and only the table. I did try fun presentation with nifty cookie cutters but that has fallen by the wayside lately, just a bit too busy!
Heidi

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 14:30:06 pm »
Good point Heidi, I only do that once in a while.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 14:34:31 pm »
Some more general stuff for when things have calmed down further: cook with him, grow veggies with him. I do struggle to get enough veg into DS but if I let him make the sauce he will eat and enjoy a veggie stir fry.

Let him mess around in the kitchen with ingredients (DS has little tubs of pasta, rice, noodles and mixes them with water). Familiarity with food and the cooking process is something I really believe is important.