Author Topic: is it time to ditch the bottle for 3.5yo ds??  (Read 10337 times)

Offline Aishi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 105
is it time to ditch the bottle for 3.5yo ds??
« on: November 13, 2013, 19:16:58 pm »
We're going on holiday for a week on 27th Nov and I thought when we get back would be a good time to ditch the bottle...

Ds has mspi and is on soya milk which he drinks out of a bottle ::) ::) ::) I know most ppl would suggest going cold turkey but I haven't done so yet cos its the main source of calcium he gets...he won't touch cheese, yoghurt or custard normal or soya so I'm worried about calcium intake...I'm planning to trial cows milk again after holiday...

How would you go about it? What happens if he won't drink from a cup?

Tia xx
aishi :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: is it time to ditch the bottle for 3.5yo ds??
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 19:33:16 pm »
What happens if he won't drink from a cup?

Have you tried a cup yet? What does he drink water out of?

Offline Aishi

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 19:47:19 pm »
Lol yes water and juice is fine out of any sort of cup ....

I've tried for milk a while ago and he took a sip after a LOT of coaxing.. He usually just refuses outright and says he doesn't like it in a cup....I've asked if he wants a new special cup, mummy's cup, his friends in nursery have cups but he's just not interested...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 19:56:35 pm »
Hmm sounds like it is pure habit then.  :P I know how you feel about the calcium etc. Wonder if cold turkey is the way to go? Olly never had a bottle so can't help. What about if you went to choose a new cup and then ceremoniously chucked all bottles away for the bottle fairy?! Isn't that what happens with dummies? Olly didn't have those either so might be making it up  ;)

Offline Aishi

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 20:03:03 pm »
It does happen with dummies. But what if he won't drink his milk out of cup and I throw bottles away...what do I do bout calcium? He won't have any milk products ??? ???

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 20:16:56 pm »
What about calcium supplements? They are available for children so if the worst comes and he refuses then he will be getting calcium.

I think though that if you just keep offering his milk in the cup and he knows there is no alternative then he will eventually drink from a cup. At the moment he knows the bottle is still available so he doesn't *have* to take milk in a cup. You will have some days when he doesn't have any but keep offering, if he likes the milk as a drink he will want it again.

Does he have cereal with the milk on?

Laura

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 20:24:07 pm »
My friend made a big deal of choosing a new straw cup then at Xmas said santas reindeer needed milk for their trip to Lapland and they nibbled the bottles and took some with them so they had to be thrown away! They left as note for Santa to tell him his reindeers could have them, and cut the teats on a couple if bottles...!x
Zoe

Offline Aishi

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 20:52:28 pm »
Lol haribo I could try that since Xmas is coming up;

Lolly- I was given calcium supplements (as med from dietician) do u think Id be on to use that after checking with her? He has dry cereal ::) one step at a time eh?!

Guess cold turkey is way to go...I'm trialling cows milk too so should I get rid of bottle and give soya in sippy first or straight to cows milk and cup?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 20:54:29 pm »
Check about the supplement you have but there are children's supplements available OTC so ask at your pharmacy.

I would get him drinking the soy from a cup first and then look at the milk trial I think!

Laura

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 21:51:43 pm »
Aishi, is your ds sensitive on "being a big boy"? This was the main incentive for F to give up the paci (he gave the paci to Santa last year).
The other thing that works with my ds (not a milk lover either, even if he eats diary) is explaing why he needs a certain food, so I tell him that milk serves to make his bones strongers and longer so he can play and run better and he can become taller. So, if he refuses milk you can insist a bit telling him why you would like he drinks a bit of that and why you are concerned if he doesn't take any calcium source.
Barbara

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 22:07:17 pm »
Aishi, is your ds sensitive on "being a big boy"? This was the main incentive for F to give up the paci (he gave the paci to Santa last year).
The other thing that works with my ds (not a milk lover either, even if he eats diary) is explaing why he needs a certain food, so I tell him that milk serves to make his bones strongers and longer so he can play and run better and he can become taller. So, if he refuses milk you can insist a bit telling him why you would like he drinks a bit of that and why you are concerned if he doesn't take any calcium source.

Oh yes, Olly loves telling me he will be big and strong like Daddy lol

Offline Aishi

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 20:43:01 pm »
Thanks ladies for your input. I will try those ideas out. I've been talking to him today about drinking milk in a cup like a big boy so he can be strong like daddy. He was listening but not too impressed lol. Guess I'll keep talking to him about it and once we're back from holiday just go for it :-/

Waiting to hear from the dietician re calcium supplements but will check at pharmacy too....

Thanks for the advice! xx

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 20:50:24 pm »
I've been talking to him today about drinking milk in a cup like a big boy so he can be strong like daddy. He was listening but not too impressed lol. Guess I'll keep talking to him about it and once we're back from holiday just go for it :-/
For the dummy, I have spoken to F for months telling him about the fairy who will bring a gift for the big boys that give up the paci... and he always answered he didn't want any, he wanted to keep the paci. The the day before Christmas I was speaking to him about the fact that Santa was coming and he could give him the paci, and ... he suddenly didn't say no.... I was so surprised I went ahead (I was totally NOT ready to take away the paci) and he actually gave the paci to Santa that night. So, even if he is not convinced, he is listening for sure. Give it time to settle and fix in his mind.
Barbara

Offline Aishi

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 19:58:27 pm »
Thanks Barbara that's really good to know!

Fwiw I was talking to him about it at lunch time today and he agreed to try some milk in daddy's cup! Had about 2 oz's!! I couldn't believe it. We praised him a lot and have started a reward chart for him. Fxd this is the beginning!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 07:32:11 am »
Great start!