Author Topic: 7 month old waking and he never has before?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
7 month old waking and he never has before?
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:25:36 am »
My lo has been sleeping through the night since he's 2 months old and this week he's woken during the night. It's usually an hour or two after putting to bed or about 2 hours befire he normally wakes for the day. I noticed a little gas when I went in and picked him up. He's started solids a few weeks ago And I've been feeding one new food for a few days to see if sonething bothers him. The only thing dufferent is brine rice cereal. Could that be causing stomach upset ? Although he doesn't seen to have a belly ache during the day? And he's also gotten a diaper rash which I thought coukd be from the new consistency of his poop since I haven't fed him anything new but the brown rice cereal. Any suggestions ? He doesn't use props no pacifier or thumb and I put him to bed for naps awake and if he wakes during the night he falls back asleep so it don't think that's the problem. The only other thing is he now rolls from belly to back and wheh I put him in crib he seems to be rolling over and sleeping on belly.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 7 month old waking and he never has before?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:50:44 am »
Hmmm, we had to stop rice cereal altogether because it was causing my lo some serious constipation issues so i would probably try that and see if it helps. I still dont give J rice cereal...

What does his daytime routine look like? when he wakes at night, does he need resettling or is he up and wants to play?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 14:50:40 pm »
He was fine on oatmeal. He wakes up crying not really awake and seems like he's uncomfortable in some pain. Not constipated a lot of poop. It's even giving him a diaper rash. But why wouldn't he seem in pain during day?  He hasn't had the rice cereal since yesterdsy at 11 am

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 16:39:18 pm »
He took at 30 min nap from 935-1005 and had some solids and a bottle and fell asleep at 11:15 during feeding which he never does. Guess he's exhausted from poor sleep. I'm hoping it was just gassiness from that brown rice cereal and that we get back on track with sleep

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 01:38:23 am »
I had another night or two where he wakes an hour is so after going to sleep. He wakes up crying And when I pick him up he's straightening up like he's gassy then he burps. We haven't been burping him in a while as he's self burping but maybe I should before bed? It just ajways wakes him up. I stopped the rice cereal do it's not that. Unless it's the peas but then wouldn't he be gassy during the day too?  This is a baby who sleeps 12 hours through the night and never wakes crying :(

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 01:55:18 am »
how much solids are you giving him? what's his daytime routine like?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:12 am »
He just woke again an hour after the last waking and he just cried for 20 min. I finally got him calmed down and put him back in crib. He's awake now still in crib. Hopefully settling in. He's eating about 1 tbsp oatmeal 1tbsp fruit and 1-2 tbsp of veggies once a day he gets solids and he takes 4 bottles. It's just not like him to wake during night or so soon after putting to bed. His A times average 2 hr 45 min- 3 hrs. I usually get one nap anywhere from 1-2 hrs and usually one catnap. We are ajways struggling at night because he's usually up by 230 from nap and refuses catnap late afternoon. Today we got 2 naps about an hour each. Sometimes 1hr 10 mins. He also stayed awake 3.5 hrs tiday befire his second nap which he's never done.

Offline Layla

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 02:31:39 am »
He could be overtired too - I don't think my LO would have been able to stay up any more than 3hrs before bedtime. If he's up at 2.30 from afternoon nap, what time is he going to bed?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:44:48 am »
630 but we've been doing this for a while and he's never woken up before. Can't get to the 3-2 transition. What time would u have put him to bed?  530 would've been 3 hrs a time. I can't put him to bed for the night at 530 plus he's only just eaten at 3 so u wouldn't get him to eat that soon. And it's too late for a nap. This is the problem we kee running into.

Offline Layla

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 02:50:42 am »
Can you please post what the last couple of days have looked like? We went by set nap times as soon as we dropped the catnap and I would do a nap at around 9am and 2nd nap around 1.30am and bedtime was 6pm with a wake up time around 6am

FYI - I used to put my lo to bed at 5.30pm some nights during the transition period to help her out a bit.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 03:03:18 am »
The past few days have been all over the place. Monday he took a 30 min nap first thing and then we were out and he did two more 30 min naps. Then yesterday he did an hour nap first thing then 2 more 30 min naps. Today he took two naps on an hour one hour ten mins. But this is the second or third night where he's gotten up an hour or more after putting to bed. I've just assumed it was good related because he never wakes at night and because he wAs gassy when he did wake up.

Offline Layla

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 03:13:12 am »
Are you giving him milk first and then solids? At this age, my LO was only having 1-2 tablespoons of solids in the morning and a little bit in the afternoon. We didn't have dinner at all and she's only now on 3 meals per day but I still do milk feed (breastfeed) first and then we do solids about an hour or so later. I put food in front of her and she chooses what she eats. I don't ensure she eats what I have prepared because I truly believe in self regulation.

Is he teething or working on anything new, like rolling over, crawling?

It's important to remember that he's a little baby and lots and lots of things can and will happen to him, which may throw his routine off (including his ability to sleep 12hrs at night) :).

If you see that he's gassy at night, take a step back and offer less solids and maybe back away from the foods that seem to cause discomfort :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:18:02 am by Layla »

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 03:25:30 am »
I do offer solids first and then give him bottle to wash it down. Maybe I should cut back the solids. Could too much cause him discomfort hours later at night ?  Maybe I should cut it back to two tbsp one cereal one of fruit and then later offer him another solid feed of 1 tbsp veggies 1 tbsp fruit ? Maybe it's not even that that's effecting his sleeping. Lol. I feel like he's working on a lot. Trying to crawl , rolling from belly to back us new and he has two teeth but is drooling a lot so night be working on some more. It's just so hard trying to figure out what's bothering him and how to help him.  I feel so bad tgat he's waking upset :(

Offline Layla

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 03:35:49 am »
I would do milk first and then solids about an hour later ... any reason why you're doing solids first and then milk? Solids is just for fun in the first 12 months and yes, I would cut back on solids too. I didn't do solids first until around 12mo with the girls and as I mentioned before, with dd3 (9.5mo), I am still offering her milk first and then solids later and if she doesn't have that much, I don't push her and I just end the meal and move onto more activity.

Yes, too much could be causing discomfort... perhaps he's too distracted during the day. If it were me, I wouldn't do baby cereal at all. As I mentioned earlier, that stuff caused lots of constipation in my lo and I could tell she was uncomfortable so I stopped it altogether. She still doesn't have it. They don't have to have a certain amount of tea/tablespoons (although there is a guide to how much) but as I mentioned earlier, I believe in self regulation and if mine wants to eat what I give her, she picks it up and eats it and if not, I'll take her out and we end the meal.

Have you heard of baby lead weaning?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:39:39 am by Layla »

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 11:12:01 am »
I didbt think it really mattered what came first
I just made sure that the formula was most important. I can switch it but I felt that he wasn't very interested an hour later. No cereal?  Coukd there be any other reason for the wakings? Thanks