Author Topic: 6.5 month old night wakings every hour  (Read 878 times)

Offline Tiredand confused

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 03, 2014, 15:11:35 pm »
Hi,
Need a bit of advice and reading through other posts has helped but to be honest I'm so tired I can't quite figure out what to do!
Since just after 5 months my LO has stopped sleeping through the night. Some nights he's up twice - good nights, other, like last night every hour from going to bed at 7 til 5 am when he woke up and wouldn't fall back to a deep sleep.
My OH is willing to help but he wont settle at all with him, a consequence of BF In our case I think, as a result i have slept more than 3 hrs in a row since early December and it's very draining.

My ds is 7 months at the end of this week and I' m aware that separation anxiety can really kick in then, he is already very clingy! Going back to work soon too so really need to sort this asap!

He's been on a 3hr schedule are only just started formula and have built up to 4 hrs as he has reflux and small volumes seemed to reduce the vomitting. On solids 3 times a day and he taking them pretty well.
We fell into an easy routine naturally and to be honest it was only when things started going wrong I realised we were in one after looking for solutions.

Today has gone down for his two naps but woken up after 45 mins each time. The first was super early at 7 As he woken up around 5 but I tried to settle him til 6. Then went down for a second 45 min nap at 9.  Tried to get back in a routine and put him down at 12.15 fell asleep on his own but woke at 43 mins later, settled him slept for 44 mins. 

He's on a 2 15 min waking, which I realise is too short for him and we are building it up too, Will this help with the night waking and the naps? He seems tired almost as soon as hes up. In fact he's only been up for just over an hour and he's rubbing his. Was planning a catnap around 4 and a 6pm bottle then bed at 6.30pm. I should say he normally settles with just a hand on his chest though it sometimes dies take a while at night!
Dreading bedtime, any help gratefully received!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 6.5 month old night wakings every hour
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 18:23:02 pm »
Hi Hun, I'm sorry you are so tired I Know the feeling.  Can you give me your EASY so I can take a look at it. Please include feedings both fluid and solids and amounts.  Just from a glimpse a few things jukmp out.

At this age I wouldn't have him on solids 3 times a day. I would at the least take away dinner all together as that may keep him from taking more milk at BT causing the hunger.
Also there is a big GS around six months which can cause them to need more fluids so for some who were sleeping through the night they end up needing another night feeding for a while.

Typically 45min is an UT nap and so I would push that AM nap out. But I can't say much since I don't know your typical EASY yet.
He's on a 2 15 min waking, which I realise is too short for him and we are building it up too, Will this help with the night waking and the naps?
Absoultely. What's probably happening is he's taking shorter naps because he can handle longer A times but then by the end of the day he's over tired due to the short naps so he's waking at night. It's an UT/OT loop which is a pain. But by pushing out his A times and getting at least a longer First nap (1.5hrs +) should help.

What's his BT routine like?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**