Author Topic: Up for the day at 4:45.  (Read 6074 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Up for the day at 4:45.
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2014, 07:03:49 am »
Ugh! Give it a go Hun and let me know if it works :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 08:15:25 am »
Stopping by with a big hug and a couple of thoughts.

Mine always did an 11 hr night too and it was a trap of being so tired he needed to go to bed quite early but then waking early (5am sometimes 4 something). It wasn't until he was much older I worked out that to get a later WU I really had to push BT later, and pretty hard too. As your DH is going past her room at the worst possible time of the morning when all babies are sleeping lightly the only way I can see to overcome that is to push hard on BT and get it much later so that come 5am she is still doing her long stretch of deep sleep and the sounds of the house are less likely to wake her.

I know you've said you need to cap the naps or BT goes to pot but what about for a day having her nap as long as possible without capping and really pushing BT?  If you could wing it through and try to get BT closer to 8pm her 11 hr night would end at 7 rather than 5 meaning that at 5am she might sleep through the disturbance or at least be easier to settle making it more of a middle of the night NW rather than a EW.  What do you think?
It's not something I've done with a young baby but honestly if I had this again I'd go for it. That cycle of EW and EBT was a killer and it just went on and on and on.

Also, have you tried some white noise through the night (or turn on at the NF) to cover the sounds of your DH?
Have you got full black out in the room so she doesn't get a hint of dawn light?

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 10:31:37 am »
I see what you mean.  I tried to do it yesterday but obviously 6:30 bedtime still wasn't late enough!

I might manage it today. I had to let her nap at 7:45 this morning but only for 25 minutes. Am about to put her down now for a nap so we'll see how the day goes. Sara's been trying to get me to do w2s but I'm trying my best to avoid it lol as the only time I tried it she woke up at 4!

I do use white noise all night. I have blackout blinds; I will try this afternoon to block the cracks.

I will report back tomorrow ;)

Offline creations

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2014, 18:10:16 pm »
I don't think 6.30pm is going to be anywhere near late enough to make sure she is really in the middle of her sleep at 5am to get through the EW.  You have to do what you think is right though because pushing for a late BT is going to be hard for a few days.

I tried W2S in the night too but DS just woke up on night 2 before the W2S time so couldn't do it, and the next night I set my alarm to do it even earlier and he woke before the W2S again - basically he just preempted every W2S so it was a real flop. Must say though it was a life saver on naps through the 2-1 transition! Worked a charm.

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2014, 05:56:50 am »
It didn't work. She was so tired at bedtime she didn't nurse well, then was up at 23:15 and I tried to get her back to sleep but couldn't so I fed her at 12. Then she was up again at 3:45 so I fed her because I just couldn't face an hour long session of pat/shh. :(

And she was already up when dh's alarm went off at 5. I left her till 5:40 because she wasn't crying but then went to check on her and she'd done a massive power poop so I've had to change her completely and now she's completely wide awake.  :'(

Offline creations

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2014, 08:08:14 am »
Oh hugs. I'm so sorry you are getting not let up from this :(
xxx

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2014, 08:58:34 am »
Thanks for your help creations. I'll give it another couple of days.

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2014, 07:07:50 am »
better last night. Bt was 7:30 and she was awake from 11:30 till 12:15 but wasn't hungry. I fed her at 2:15 and she slept till about twenty past six!  I think the key for her tbh is dropping the second night feed. She just sleeps better if she has only one feed.  Thanks!

Offline creations

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2014, 09:08:38 am »
Still sounds like a tiring night but sleeping later is great :)

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2014, 10:51:00 am »
That's actually a very good night for her :(. But she is FIGHTiNG her nap this morning. I think she may have just gone now, after trying to fall asleep for an hour. :(

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2014, 14:06:24 pm »
She actually had not a bad night. Bt was 7 pm, I had to get her up from her nap to take Enfys to her dance class. She slept till 2:30 without a peep. I fed her, but as I was feeding her I could tell she was awake and winding herself up. I put her down and she was just awake for ages, so at 3:30 I fed her a little bit more, I could feel her relaxing so I put her down again. She was still a bit restless but about 4 she went back to sleep. I heard a little noise at 5 but she went back to sleep!  Until 5 to 7!!!  So apart from being awake randomly for an hour, it was pretty good!!

Offline creations

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 14:33:49 pm »
:) Yes a decent length 7 - 7!! It must feel better than getting up for the day at 4.45am - although I'm not full of ideas on why you have an long NW in there, sorry.

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 15:54:07 pm »
We get these a lot. I feed her (and she was hungry, only feed since bed time) and she just doesn't go back to sleep. I was fully expecting her to be awake for three hours and was shocked it was only an hour and a half. I have no idea either. I keep thinking it's teething (I know, that's the solution to everything) but I did give her calpol. If she was crying, that would be one thing, but she doesn't.

Offline creations

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2014, 18:06:07 pm »
Well Tracy did say it is normal for LOs to wake in the night and stay awake for long periods, so long as she's not crying just leave her to it. I know it doesn't feel nice to know she's awake all that time, missing out on her sleep, prob keeping you awake too, but apparently it's normal. When mine was doing it I felt really reassured reading that in the BW book. Mine was noisy though, chatting and singing etc, he would wake me with it so I would use a key phrase to tell him to go back to sleep.

Do you think there's a chance she is cold when you put her back to bed after her night feed? What about a hot water bottle or one of those microwave bag things to pop in her bed whilst she is out of it to keep it warm then remove it when you put her back in?  It might be a bit more snuggly for her her and help her nod off? I did this every night feed when DS was tiny or he'd cry getting back into a cold bed and just not settle.

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2014, 18:40:10 pm »
If she's not crying, I leave her alone. The only problem with this is that she often has a poo. So what i have to do is check on her about every 20 minutes.  She'll quite happily lay there for an hour with a dirty nappy if I don't.  There is no way I can sleep if she's awake so even if I know she's okay, I'm wide awake too :-/.
I suppose she could be cold. But often I can tell when I'm feeding her, she's bouncing and bobbing up and down. I have a heater in her room, a flannel sheet in her cot, and a sleeping bag. I have a wheat bag somewhere. I'll have to kick dh out of bed to warm it up while I feed her. ;)