Author Topic: 1 yr old refuses to eat due to teething?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline amycyt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
1 yr old refuses to eat due to teething?
« on: March 05, 2014, 00:37:12 am »
My 1 yr old has never been a good eater.  But for the past few days all of the sudden he refuses to eat anything but cheerios and rice rusks. I am not 100% sure but I think it might be due to his 2nd molar coming in.  The strange thing is that it didn't affect his eating that much when his 1st molar coming in.  Now I can't even put anything close to his mouth.  Most of the time he just pushes me away.  I didn't even have a chance to let him taste what I am feeding him.  Why would he be still eating cheerios if he has pain in mouth?  I don't understand.  What should I do?  He is already underweight and dr wants me to put some pounds on him.  (<5 percentiles in weight)  I am so worried now.  It is just a stage and will he be back to normal once the molar is all out?  Sleeping is another issue but I will post questions in the sleeping thread.  I feel so helpless and a failure as a mom.

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: 1 yr old refuses to eat due to teething?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 13:31:10 pm »
When my DD turned 1 her molars all came through in about a month and there were about 2 days where she was really unhappy and also refused to eat much food.  she cried when she was trying to eat some chicken burgers because they were too hard.  Teething has never bothered her in terms of eating before and she is normal a very good eater - so could well be teething related.

have you tried things like yogurt or fruit purees that he doesn't need to chew?  she also seemed happy to eat dairy lea sandwiches cos they were soft.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:18:59 am »
Hi honey- How are things going now? Toddlers can be REALLY picky with food- doesn't mean you are in any way failing as a mum!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline yujai

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 23:04:52 pm »
My LO is just turned one and started to refuse some food that he used to love.  Oddly he doesn't eat cheese and carrot(which he used to love) since last weekend. He has teething symptoms for a while but nothing show up yet!

Funny thing, he new fave are my homemade teeth biscuits....maybe it is really teething...?

Offline Tamlyn

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 23:25:36 pm »
I'm having the same issue all of a sudden with my 13 month old. Teething has never bothered him before...and I'm not even sure he is teething now...but we have had to really push to get him to eat any food for the last 5 days or so. He has always been a really good eater and likes just about everything. However, yesterday and today he has even been pushing his bottle away. He is small (5th percentile), so I am worried about the decreased caloric intake... Not sure what to do other than just wait another day or so and see...is this typical for this age?

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 18:45:53 pm »
My DD just turned 16 months and she went through a phase of eating very little from about a year old until probably about just over 14 months - some of which I thought was due to teething (although only for a few weeks max).  She lost a few pounds in that time and I was getting a bit worried (although she is about 75th centile for weight so it didn't hurt her too much!)  she has since gained that back and more and suddenly started eating loads again so it could well just be a phase.

Offline Tamlyn

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 00:00:34 am »
I am also weaning my LO now...which is one more factor I suppose. He is not eating as well nor is he wanting milk, whether breast milk in a bottle or cow's milk. I weaned over the course of 3 weeks so thought I'd taken it slow enough for him...however, he is more fussy and clingy, and will turn down a bottle and go for boob...only there's not much in there anymore. Maybe it is just a perfect storm! ;)