Author Topic: Dropping bottle  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 19:38:01 pm »
I gave lo yogurt snd some puffs for snack today. Not too much clean up lol. Msybe that's good that she took less at 3 more at bed. That way she'll be full through the night and it might make giving up that 3 pm bottle easier too since she's taking less at that time. This site is great! Keep me posted :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 15:38:32 pm »
So since the drop to three bottles he seems to be more fussy crying and cranky in the afternoon. Could it be from the drop in bottle?  He wakes at 630 I give him bottle around 645-7 then breakfast an hour or so later around 8 then he takes a nap from 10-11 and I give him a bottle when he wakes around 1115/1130 then I give him solids or lunch an hour later around 1230. Then we usually go out and run errands etc for the day. He usually will take his afternoon nap in the car if we are out around 230-3 30 mins then I give him dinner or solids around 4 then bottle before bed around 630. He wakes up so cranky and crying lately after his nap whether it's home in his crib or in car. I'm wondering if he's hungry or missing that bottle. It seems kind of later to offer him a snack at 3 when dinner is at 4 so I'm at a loss as into what to do. The crankiness can be from being tired as he only takes a 30 min nap or from teething but I just can't be sure. Any suggestions? Thanks

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Dropping bottle
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 15:46:55 pm »
Could you not give him his bottle when you are out and about in the afternoon before he has the nap? I think he does need it after his lunch rather than before to space things out more.

Laura

Offline Bababoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 16:01:08 pm »
Did you drop the bottle in one go or reduce to down...I dropped it over the course of a few weeks by reducing it by an oz every week for the first few weeks and then at 3oz just stopped it altogether...that way she gradually got used to having less and less.

30 mins isn't really a restorative nap..my DD often only naps for 30 mins in the afternoon and wakes up cranky..so it could be that or teething (this week my DD is refusing food as she has two teeth coming up so after all that work reducing bottles I had to give her an afternoon one today to make up the loss of lunch!!).

I'd be inclined to say aswell that if your LO has a bottle @11.30 I wouldn't give lunch until 1.30 - spaces it out and leaves a smaller gap until dinner and less time to miss that bottle?

Any of that make sense?

lilac83

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 21:15:52 pm »
My dd is just starting to drop her 4th bottle too. I've moved her second bottle to 2/2:30 so there's not such a long stretch between lunch and dinner. To help get her there I pushed breakfast a touch later and brought lunch a touch earlier. Then the bottle between lunch and dinner acts as a snack. She does breakfast at 9, lunch at 12/12:30 and dinner at 5.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 03:01:36 am »
So when he wakes around 11 don't give him a bottle and just wait until 1230 to give him lunch? Seems like a long stretch from wheh he wakes from nap. Right now when I give bottle at 11-1130 and lunch at 1130 that gives me a good hour to either take him out for a walk or to the store or an errand befire his afternoon nap aroubd 230. Where I live any store or even to take him in car to park to walk takes about 10-15 min ride and he sonetimes falls askeep so there's a short window of time to take him out which is why I've been doibg the 1130 bottle 1230 lunch the out and afternoon nap. He takes his bottle warm which makes it impossible to feed him out. So you think that feeding him lunch when he wakes then waiting 2 hours before lunch would be better? With everything spaced out so much it doesn't leave any time to go out. Wgat would a typical day look like with his easy schedule? He's just turning 10 months and is taking 3 bottkes 3 solid meals  and his A time is 3.5 hours with a 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min morning nap and a 30 min adteenoon nap. He does about a 12-12.5 hr day. Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.

Offline Bababoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 06:01:30 am »
Just a quick reply...I was suggesting a bottle @ 11.30 after he has woken from the nap..but wait until 1.30 then for lunch (leaving time for a nap after that)...then dinner around 4.30....if you have dropped the afternoon bottle completely maybe he needs a few oz gradually reduced over a couple of weeks....after he has that 11.30 bottle it should give you a window then for getting out and about...how does that sound?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 10:21:50 am »
So if I need to go out I will give him bottle first then head out and be home to feed him lunch and then nap. I'll give it a try! Although we have done that and he's fallen asleep too early in the way back home sleeping through lunch and then we had a super long A time befire bed. He was refusing the bottle on his own and had dropped to a few oz so I didn't wean him just offered him more in the 3 bottles. Thank you so much!

Offline Lolly

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:21 am »
Or you could head out in the morning so he has his nap in the car or out and about and then be home for lunch/ afternoon bottle and hopefully a longer nap in the afternoon.

Here are the routine examples for 10 months + chronological EASY samples, 10-12 months

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 12:52:50 pm »
I've tried heading out in the morning in hopes for a longer afternoon nap instead and it never happens. He only sleeps 30 mins in afternoon in car or crib. So strange

lilac83

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 13:44:29 pm »
I don't know about going out as dd doesn't tend to fall asleep in the car. She's actually gone entire days on 30 minutes of sleep because of that lol! She does eat on the go though. Will your ds hold his own bottle? That may help keeping him awake in the car as he will have something to do. Any errands I run usually happen right after lunch, that way she has 2 hours before her next bottle. Normally she doesn't take her afternoon nap until 3:30 though as she stays awake about 4 hours between naps.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 13:52:54 pm »
What do you think will work for your LO? You have had a few suggestions for how to approach meals and solids and there are some examples on the link I posted.

I think really you need to look at the options posted, decide what will work best for you and your LO and try it for a good week to see if it works.

Laura