Author Topic: What to do with 17 month old  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: November 21, 2014, 20:49:48 pm »
Now that it's too cold to spend time outdoors we are getting bored very easily inside all day. We've tried play dough and crayons and finger paint but he's just too young for these types of activitues. He's s climber and can spend all day just climbing until he takes a spill that is. Still no interest in books since before he started walking. Can't sit still long enough lol. But he seems to get bored and frustrated. Any suggestions?

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: What to do with 17 month old
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 13:05:38 pm »
You could take him swimming?

Or set up assault courses round the house. Make a tunnel by draping a rug or sheet over some chairs perhaps. Practise climbing the stairs together.

Not sure where you're based (and whether you mean "cold" in the uk sense or North American sense ;) ) but maybe invest in some good winter waterproof outdoor clothes and boots for the two of you so you can get out whatever the weather?

Does he like music? Would he enjoy dancing about with scarves/bubbles/shakers/bells... Or a rhyme time session?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 15:46:23 pm by cathn »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 16:22:16 pm »
I would for sure invest in some good outdoor gear...I fully intend to take DD3 out even in the dead of winter so long as windchill is nota factor! She did sled rides in -25 last winter when she was tiny so she will be fine for sure this year. Are you somewhere where it gets super cold or damp & cold? We have a full one piece rainsuit that we put a fleece one piece suit under for the spring/fall wet & cold weather and a full snowsuit for the winter.

Otherwise for inside we bought an xmas gift of a climber/slide thing, a tiny trampoline and a tunnel/tent combo. Plus we have loads of Fisher Price Little People sets that she loves and big sisters dolls and stuff. We have a play kitchen as well but she is not really into that yet. Oh and a kids yoga dvd geared to 3-6 year olds that she tries to follow when her sisters do it, which is super funny!
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 17:50:20 pm »
Thanks for the ideas! Well it's been cold like 20-30 degrees which is a little too cold to go to the playground. I do try a lot of the play ideas inside but it doesn't keep his interest he just starts walking around whining like he's bored lol it's so frustrating. Think I might look into the indoor climber slide.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 21:02:50 pm »
Does he like baths? You could give him a bath during the day just for fun. Perhaps with swimming shorts on?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 02:37:38 am »
This kid is wild! Today I found him on the dining room table. And he climbs the back of the couch! I can't get him to sit and play with anything. Help!! Think I need to enroll him in an active class

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 03:12:42 am »
Lol DD3 is the same, if we had local classes she would be enrolled! But for now we get outside weather permitting (yup we did a whopping 10 min outside at -40 on sunday just for fresh air, and frankly the snowsuit battle was a workout for her too!). She loves dance parties (aka youtube videos!) and generally just climbs couches and jumps around. Sitting and playing are overrated here!
Heidi

Offline ButterflyLily

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 15:21:25 pm »
We also like to play Pandora Freeze Frame. Turn on your favorite Pandora station and have your kids dance. Pause the station every once in a while and have them freeze whenever the music stops.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 15:33:13 pm »
 At that age, we had a hand-me-down slide/climber like this one....life saver, she LOVED it. We'd throw a blanket over the top and call it a fort too......she had a flashlight...LOL.   It had never been outside, we kept it in a bedroom we weren't using. You can pick these up on Craigslist fairly easily...

https://www.google.com/search?q=little+tikes+small+climber+and+slide&biw=952&bih=893&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0n2AVOyvJJS1yAT4i4KwBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=YICJPku9TQ_uDM%253A%3BNYyXvBXXZlDQtM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fstatic5.shop.indiatimes.com%252Fimages%252Fproducts%252Fadditional%252Foriginal%252FB1629413_View_2%252Fbaby-toys%252Fslides-swings%252Flittle-tikes-wave-climber.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gopixpic.com%252F600%252Flittle-tikes-wave-climber-with-slide-dimensions%252Fhttp%253A%25257C%25257Cwww*jakartatoyrental*com%25257Cimg%25257Cp%25257C135-240-thickbox*jpg%252F%3B800%3B534

We'd also do a run to Barnes & Noble for the train table, then shoot across the street to Pet Smart to see the fish and kitties.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 11:31:46 am »
Thanks for all of the ideas! I'm going to order one of those climbers in hopes that he will climb it instead of the furniture lol

Offline ButterflyLily

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 11:28:05 am »
We love climbing up the furniture as well!