Author Topic: Delay to starting due to sick baby  (Read 4951 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Delay to starting due to sick baby
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 19:37:00 pm »
I think expressing regularly should help, though will obviously also stimulate further milk production and potentially increase engorgement.  Is there a chance you may have ducts that don't drain at all though??  Not quite sure what to suggest if so....

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 19:52:43 pm »
Congratulations on the Baby Liz

I had lots of "fun" with DS1 & BF & the early days we were expressing finger in first 24hours & then pump after that to syringe feed him because he wouldn't suck... he went 12 hours from birth without even wanting to feed (he did suckle straight after birth) the first week was pretty awful & I had to keep pumping one side as he'd split my nipple. I found with the red patches If I massaged them it helped & then I would ice them after I fed/expressed

Also when DS1 was born one of the Mums in the Mothers' group had had breast cancer & she'd been able to feed from one side. She didn't really attempt it with the side she'd had the cancer, because she didn't think it was worth it. She did manage to BF for about 3 weeks, but then chose to go to a bottle, as she had lots of stress with her older child who as about 7 & letting the older child feed the baby was actually really helpful for the whole family

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 15:42:53 pm »
I think there may very well be some severed ducts from the reduction. I can get rid of the red patches with a bit of work with massage and pumping, but they soon come back again.

I'm not sure what will happen with those ducts? I mean - they will never drain - so will they just 'switch off' even if the breast is still stimulated?? Or will they keep trying and keep having a tendency to get blocked?

I'm pretty sure not many people know the answer to that one!

My output isn't increasing either. I'm getting 10ml per session or so.

All explicable I think, and TBH if I was just at home with him feeding a bit and topping up a bit I think I would be pretty pleased with myself. Just on the unit pumping etc it's had not to feel a bit disappointed in myself  ::) ::).

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 15:46:38 pm »
Liz after everything you've been through you are doing amazingly well.  Those few mls will be so good for him, lots of babies don't ever get that opportunity.  See every drop as a success xxx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 18:49:14 pm »
My output isn't increasing either. I'm getting 10ml per session or so.
I think this was about the same amount I got in the early days but after a while I was actually able to produce enough for every feed (I think this was 2-3 weeks on) so for a short while we didn't supplement with formula at all. I thought I'd never get there when I was only producing a tiny amount.
Cheering you on x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 21:05:34 pm »
Please feel proud of whatever you achieve Liz. I'm sure many in your position wouldn't even try. Be kind to yourself.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 22:18:42 pm »
I'm pretty sure not many people know the answer to that one!

You're right there!  Do you know any local BFCs or LCs or even colleagues who have a "special interest", for want of a better phrase, in breast anatomy and feeding following breast surgery?

It sounds like you're doing well so far.  How's the CPAP and LO going now?  Have you been able to have some cuddles yet?
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 23:29:56 pm »
I know one lady with BC but she is feeding off her unaffected side. I just have the reduction to consider as well and can't find anyone else. I am a member of a few young women cancer groups which is a good place to look.

He is off the CPAP now and in incubator oxygen. I get 2 cuddles a day now as he can tolerate air for a while  :). He isn't showing much interest in either the breast or the bottle yet though - but is NG feeding full feeds  :). He gets 37ml every 2hrs.

I'm managing to pump about 80ml a day. Its staying pretty static. But I will just keep going for now and see what happens as he gets stronger.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 07:59:09 am »
Liz that's great!!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 09:21:49 am »
Great job Liz xx

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 09:32:33 am »
Liz you're doing amazing  :)

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 10:09:06 am »
great amount!!!  well done!  You will be the first one to offer experience for others!! 

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 20:20:46 pm »
That's a brilliant amount!  Well done!  He'll be interested soon enough I'm sure. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2014, 21:50:07 pm »
The issue is that my breasts are very soft and empty very quickly. The blockages seem to have cleared, and the milk supply is the same iyswim?

Thomas will latch but fall off very quickly, but he will have to work hard for a let down to occur  :-\. He will have to be mix fed due to the overall underlying issues and I can't see him bottle feeding AND working hard for BM at the breast as well.

Just need to keep reminding myself that the point was to give him some BM for health benefits whilst he was sick. I have always known that I have had too much surgery to EBF.

He is starting to manage a bit on the bottle. We give him a trial at the breast, then ebm, then formula. I guess that is how it will continue.

Although I'm proud that I can make a little, I still feel bad that I can't feed him myself  :-\. Will probably feel better once I get him home and am no longer surrounded by 'it all'.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2014, 22:45:41 pm »
I really admire you for doing all you can Liz. Hugs.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011