Author Topic: Still struggling to achieve consistent naps here; help me manage the 2-1, please  (Read 8757 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
I don't think Ivy had hardly any naps over an hour until she was solidly on one nap and I tried and tried to fix it.
Thanks, Maryn, that's good to hear. Some days I am a bit fearful that 1hr is all I'm ever going to get. :P :-[

Things are a bit muddied as I think he's about to cut two more teeth and his nose is running like a faucet (not sure if that's from the teeth or he's a bit under the weather :-\), bad enough that I have a hard time nursing him in the MOTN, because he's struggling to breathe. :( Anyway, I let him sleep til 7:30 on Sunday (I know ::)), because he was up for an hr in the MOTN. We went to late church and he slept from ~12:45-2:20pm in the car on the way home (I just leave it running in the driveway :P). He went to bed at 6:30-45pm (fell asleep nursing). The night wasn't great, but again it's hard to tell because of the teeth/stuffiness.

Today, he did...
WU 7am
N1 11:25-12:15
N2 3:45-4:15 (I woke... was hoping for 3:30-4:15, but he took awhile to settle)
BT 7:15ish (struggling to settle)

So, if he does a one nap day, what do I do with BT? Do I still work on the theory that he'll likely do 13.5hr total, so 12hr day? Or, do I put him down a little earlier, because he seems ready, and if so how early?

I can't tell if he's struggling to settle because of a routine issue or because he can't breathe. He did at the pm nap again today, even though the first one was only 45min and again at BT, which is rare (usually he passes out nursing or settles quick). If he was well in himself, I think I might start pushing to one nap, but I'm not sure I should right now.

ETA: I'm sure the BT struggle was due to his stuffiness, he didn't settle til about 7:25. Was then up screaming and hard to settle at 9:30. :(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:13:55 am by katie80 »

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
Hey there Katie Hun..I'm reading along and hoping things work out for you soon! Is he feeling better? I hope his nose didn't mess up the nights too much.

I'm as always still stuck on the crappy nap express! Would you believe a few times my lo slept 1h10 mins over the holidays? But I've never been able to repeat it. We're still on 30 mins max :(

I haven't read far back enough as I just got back a few days ago, but has he ever done a one nap day?

Offline katie80

Hi shresmummy, I feel like I should know your name but I guess I don't. :-\ Thanks for checking in, I've been wondering how you're doing too.

He has had a few one nap days, in fact both Sat and Sun were, so I thought we might be on to something, but no... today he had a short first nap. ::) His cold is better, not totally cleared but he is breathing much easier. Cutting two top teeth, one should be through in a day or so and the other isn't far behind. I know these things factor into the whole equation, but ugh the inconsistency drives me a bit batty. :P Nights have been pretty bad, but last night was a touch better so I'm hopeful.

Here's what the last 3 days have looked like...

Sat 1/17
WU 7:10ish
N1 11:30-12:45
N2 tried for 4/4:15, but he didn't go
BT 6pm
NW 10ish-11:45 (ugh, my mom was here and couldn't get him back down, I fed him when we got home at 10:30, but he still took awhile to settle)
NW/NF 2ish, 4:30

Sun 1/18
WU 6:30
N1 11:25-1:45 (in car)
BT 6:30
NW 10-10:45pm
NF 1ish,5ish

Mon 1/19
WU 6:30
N1 11:30-12:00
N2 3-4pm (planned to wake him at 3:45, but was playing outside one on one with G and just didn't want to stop; interested to see if it makes any difference in the night)
BT 7:30pm

Why does he only take a long nap in the car, is it some kind of prop? It's not moving... just running in the driveway. ::) I was thinking today's 1st nap was maybe OT, but then he goes ahead and sleeps past 30min for the pm nap, so he can't be that OT. It's just his default, I guess. Any overall thoughts, anyone?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:57:21 am by katie80 »

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
Hi Katie, I'm sorry I should've mentioned my name earlier, it's Priya :)

I noticed you have a pretty long A time before the first nap. I too would've thought that first nap from today was ot. But the pm was pretty good. Don't they surprise you sometimes? How did the night go?

I think I need to up my first A time too.. We are still stuck at 3 hrs..I'm such a mess I don't even know what to post!!

Fingers xx for a better night for you..xx

Offline katie80

Hi Priya! :D No need to apologize, you really don't need to tell me anything! ;)

So, night didn't go well.  He was up at 5:10, but resettled quick so I thought we were in the clear, but then up at 5:50 for the day. :( Not sure if there wasn't enough A time between last nap and BT or what.  Could be partly teeth too, but I'm guessing the late nap had something to do with it also. Oh well... ::)

Fell asleep for 10min in the car on the way to Mom's group this morning and then again on the way home, and I didn't get G out fast enough (as he dozed off as well :P), so C woke when I opened the car door to get G out (darn sliding doors!). Will have to go for 30min at 3:30 again. 

Blah, I'm tired and DH has started traveling for work, which he will do about every other week through April, so it all seems a bit daunting right now.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Katie, can I ask... Do you plan to ditch the nights feeds..? I guess it may be difficult right now to assess which NWs are related to what as he is just used to go back to sleep on boob.
I think that F also wakes at nights but usually if it's not a great OT or teeth he will go back to sleep by himself and a lovey.
~Marta

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
That's a good point actually, I also like you Katie have been doing several night feeds. Does C feed a lot at each one? I know mine doesn't, but I'm so tired usually I don't even realise I've put him on the boob until he pulls off and I go, ooh better pop him back in the cot! It's so awful you'd think third time around I would know better..but it's so much harder this time because of the complete lack of inconsistency!

Our naps are a mess, our nights are a disaster, I'm thinking of starting yet another post...can some of you ladies please pop on there too? I think I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Katie, I'll be there to hold your hand till April if nothing else (I'm the last person on wrath to be giving advice now!,)

Offline katie80

Katie, can I ask... Do you plan to ditch the nights feeds..? I guess it may be difficult right now to assess which NWs are related to what as he is just used to go back to sleep on boob.
Yes, of course you can ask. I would like to get rid of the NFs, but honestly am not determined enough to do it while he's actively cutting teeth. I really need resolve to do it because he's a screamer, and my experience with the other two is that if teething isn't involved, NWs are much easier to get rid of. :-\ You're right though, it's hard to tell what the waking is from when there's a prop still involved. :P

Yes, Priya, things are just messy, aren't they. Will look for your thread, hon.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
As a fully paid-up member of the 'things are a mess brigade' I will keep an eye out too xx

Offline katie80

Another 30min first nap... for heaven's sake, this is maddening. :(

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
~Marta

Offline katie80

Yes, the thought has crossed my mind. I guess I could push to 11:45. I have a really hard time keeping him awake when I nurse him at 11am, in fact sometimes he just falls asleep no matter what I try. :-\ Will keep plugging along, thanks. :-*

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
Ohhhh don't tell me... 11am is the most sleepy part of the day for F:) and we usually survive it on a walk in a pram:). But maybe you could ditch the 11am milk and either give him solid lunch around 11:30 or make BF a morning snack around 10am when he is not sleepy yet and then offer solid snack at 11:30?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 21:34:28 pm by Martii85 »
~Marta

Offline katie80

Interesting! I'd really rather nurse him as then we can be out in the morning and I can nurse him before we leave and do the car trick. :P But, I could always bring some snacks as a light lunch too, I guess. Thanks for your thoughts, as always, Marta. :)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator

And I am not very creative...:p I just share what I do, lol:)))
~Marta