Author Topic: How to make EASY work when doing the school run.  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Rara27

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to make EASY work when doing the school run.
« on: April 28, 2015, 11:40:18 am »
Hi

I hope someone can advise me. I've been here before, under a different name, & found doing EASY with my dd was invaluable. But now my dd is 5 & therefore at school, how to implement an EASY with my ds when the school run disrupts everything.

Ds is 12/13 weeks. An angel baby & a thumb sucker. Doesn't wind very well.

Today so far - woke at 4.30 for feed. He woke again at 8.15. Happy in Moses basket while we were getting dressed. Screamed for milk for most of the school run, finally fed at 9.10. Fed for 30 mins (normally feeds between 5-15 mins) Feel asleep at the breast but woke when moved in my arms. Went to sleep in the car seat when we went out, slept for about 30 mins (11.05/10 until 11.30/40) he is finally asleep in his pram.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciatedb- thank you x
Charlotte

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: How to make EASY work when doing the school run.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 11:50:17 am »
Can you set him up so that his first feed of the day is before you go out? It may mean waking him at first, but I think as you have set times to work around, starting your day at a set time is not unreasonable. After all he will be working around the school run for a long time!

We used to feed at 7,11,1,3,5 and 7 at around that age, I think. The afternoon feeds were because the dream feed didn't work for us - it was my version of a cluster feed.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 12:12:47 pm »
Welcome back!
Yeah i would also feed before you leave home.  I've worked out a time we need to be up by so i have time to feed my DD before i go.  I either get up at that time and get ready myself (and the boys) then wake her to feed if she is still sleeping.  Or if she wakes hungry before I'm dressed i feed her first then get myself ready. It means my days starts at a predictable time but she gets to sleep longer on days she needs to.  We're on the school run 8.35-9.15 all in all so i don't want her screaming hungry all that time.
If she's fed there is also a better chance she will sleep on the school run if she needs to.

Our days don't end up exactly the same as some days she sleeps on the school run and some days she doesn't and i have to put her down when we get back but at least i know if she is recently changed and fed i can just comfort her if she cries rather than stressing that she's hungry.  I have been known on any occasions to feed her in the car parked up at school too.

If i knew she would be sleeping when we needed to do a school run i would often put her to sleep in the carseat at home or even feed to sleep  then put her in the carseat so i could just grab her and go when i needed to.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 12:35:01 pm »
Thank you to you both.

If did wonder if that was what l needed to do. I'm not very good at getting up early (but then again, who is!) but it'll definitely be worth it to sort his day out. Do you think he'll feed if he only had a nw at 5.30? (as he did yesterday morning) Will his body start to adjust to it?

On the days that he has fed before school l put him in his pram already for us to go.

My ds won't dream feed either so looks like l'll be trying a similar routine to yours, MJ&N.

Thanks again.
Charlotte

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 12:41:33 pm »
I'd imagine he might not feed much, but you never know. And if he is only on one NF right now he is doing amazingly well! maybe it will move around? Or even die out with your cluster feeds?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:55:48 am »
My dd will feed again after a NF not long before WU. It probably won't be as big but will be enough to get her through the school run and a nap and then she will take a big feed next time.

We don't DF either. I tend to do a BF at 5 or 5.30pm and then a  5-6oz bottle of expressed breast milk at 7pm. I'm doing that to get her used to the bottle in case I need to be away from her but I do find it means she gets more milk at BT (she wouldn't get 6oz directly from my breast at that time of day I wouldn't have thought) and so tends to sleep throught better than when I BF her at BT.

FWIW I hate mornings too. I sort out clothes and bags the night before so it saves time in the morning.

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 22:11:41 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

We tried it on Wednesday & Friday last week, he woke & fed well so it seems to work, thank you. He was still crying on the school run on both days but l *think* that might be more to do with having wind & going through the 3 month developmental leap ??? I hope it is anyway.

I do the same Ali, I even lay the breakfast things out on the kitchen tops.

Thanks again.
Charlotte

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 15:58:00 pm »
Are you walking to school with him in the pram? If so might he be happier in a wrap/carrier? Mine hates lying flat in the pram with nothing to see but is happier now we use the pushchair seat or car seat.

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 21:04:14 pm »
Yes, we do walk to school. I wonder if I'm missing his cues as I'm so busy getting dd ready. If he wakes & feeds at 7 what time is he ready for his nap? But I will try the sling. Thanks.
Charlotte

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 21:16:55 pm »
Mine would have been ready about 8.30. A time is typically 1hr20-30 at 3mo.

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 06:13:56 am »
Ds woke at 2.30 & 6.30 this morning. Last night he was asleep by 7. Was the 6.30 a NW & should l have woken him at 7?  ???
Charlotte

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 20:09:51 pm »
Can you just check my easy for me please? I'm hoping it's just the 3 month developmental leap that is making him cranky but it could be his easy.

E - 3.17
S - 4 ish

E - 6.29
S - 6.45

E - 7.58 (didn't know whether to wake him or not so l didn't ) 14 minutes
S - 9.15-10.38

E - 11.04. 13 minutes
S - 12.15-1.05. Woke with wind, managed to get him back off 1.20-1.40

E - Between 1.40-2pm l tried to feed him. Only managed a few minutes. Very unhappy, lots of shouty crying.
S - 3.00-3.30ish school run

E - 4.10. 13 minutes
S - 4.45-5

E -5.23. 26 minutes.

Wouldn't feed at bedtime, hasn't done for the last few nights, very unhappy, had wind.
S - 7.45.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. He's been really unhappy this last week, jabs on Wednesday & 3 months old. He spends s lot of his E time crying at me. His naps certainly aren't long enough l know, should l try shush pat to extend?

I did have the books, lm hoping they are returned to me very soon, so l can read them again.
Charlotte

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 20:11:50 pm »
I think at this age ds is meant to be having 2x2hr naps & 2x1.5hr naps. Is that in any order? When we've worked it out will they stay the sane naps at the same time of the day?
Charlotte

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 21:49:00 pm »
At 3mo it is common to have 3 long naps around 1.5hrs and a shorter CN arounf 45 mins. But having said that, it's just a guide and no baby will do a perfect 3hr easy. They will typically fall into a similar pattern but has naps get messed up by being out and school runs etc then many days will vary.

Was he a little early btw? He could be going through the week 12 wonder week.

Offline Rara27

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 17:34:03 pm »
I think it's the 3 month leap that is doing this to him. For the 12 weeks before that he's been so placid. Is there a board on here for developmental leaps etc? Can't find anything but may have missed it.

Ali, did you see my 2 other posts yesterday? Could you have a look at his EASY for me please? Thanks  :)
Charlotte