Author Topic: Fish fingers / bites for babies  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
Fish fingers / bites for babies
« on: May 04, 2015, 16:59:52 pm »
I bought a pack of fish pie mix so haddock, cod, smoked haddock, salmon and I was thinking of making some kind of fish finger for DD2 but not really sure where to start or even how to cook it. I guess over bake for 15mins or so like a normal fish finger? And I guess I need some kind of coating that makes it easier for her to pick up.

Any ideas, you never know (DD1might actually try it too).

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Fish fingers / bites for babies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 17:39:29 pm »
I experimented with all sorts of fish finger coatings for DS. I made fresh bread crumbs, added seasoning such as paprika, tried dipping in tom ketchup (rather than beaten egg because I needed so little of something 'wet' to make the crumbs stick) before tossing in the bread crumbs. all sorts really. What I settled on in the end was whizzed cracker crumb. Any sort of cracker, a cream cracker will do or something like a 'chedders' or whatever. I keep any broken crackers from a pack for this job. I usually use a couple of different crackers thrown into a whizzer to turn into crumb.  And I toss the fish straight in, no egg, no ketchup, nothing, just the crumb. This might not produce the thickest crumb (so it's a lighter coating because no egg dip first) but it is plenty for DS and also cuts down on the amount of time and prep for me.
So that's my tip :)

I also hear panko bread crumbs are the best ever but never used them myself. They were almost impossible to get here when DS was younger but I've seen them in some supermarkets more recently, although hard to find here because they put them with what I can only guess is american foods rather than with the breadcrumbs where they ought to be (IMHO).

Oven baked would be fine, so would grilled, but personally I'm not putting the oven on for 2 or 3 bits of fish finger. I fry them. Small non-stick pan, oil, fry for say a minute each side then drain on kitchen paper before serving. They turn out lovely and crispy. I used to use one of those cute one-egg pans as I only made a small portion each time.

Oh and those fish pie packs. Just in case you find you have too much. I split the pack and put say 4 pieces of fish per freezer bag and freeze them all so this way i can lift out one tiny bag of fish for DS when we are having fish of another sort (he has fish bites when we have certain fish, other times he has the same fish we have it depends on the fish).

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 18:07:44 pm »
I have used just whisked egg white with or without a little black pepper. It goes more like a batter than breadcrumbs but i disvovered it as a healthier alternative to chip shop fish in batter. It is yummy for adults too. I usually add a little salt for DH and myself.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 13:33:57 pm »
Fantastic ideas. I think I will try the crackers first as I always have them in the house. I have 1 of those cute 1 egg pans so I will use that. Think i'll try it tonight, you never know DD1 might like them as well.

With the eqq white do you pan fry them too?

Just a quick question on portion size. What would be a portion for an 8 month old, first time doing BLW and I don't think im getting the portions right. Its so hard to tell how much is actually being eaten and what is just being dropped, chewed spat out, dropped.

My angel baby girl

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 13:55:03 pm »
I usually oven bake mine as we have them too. Our microwave is a combi oven as well so I use that for small things sometimes.

Portion size I'd probably do 2 nuggets. You might need to experiment though as she might only eat one or she might eat more. Depends very much on the child.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 13:59:00 pm »
So about 200 degrees for 15mins maybe?

My angel baby girl

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 16:53:02 pm »
I have a fan Ovenso do 180 but yes 200 if you have a non-fan oven. 15 mins would probably do if they are bite sized. I do while fillets and cut up so they take a bit longer.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 17:30:56 pm »
Portion size I'd probably do 2 nuggets.
I would have thought this amount too although if she is a thrower you might be good to make a few extra!

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 17:40:30 pm »
Oh yes,  she does like to keep the dogs well fed x

My angel baby girl