Author Topic: Walking... when?  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« on: May 09, 2015, 12:55:05 pm »
Ok Ladies, I am writing that as I need to let out my stupid fears, maybe need some reassurance or maybe you will tell me that's something IS wrong.

DS is 1 week shy of 15mo and is not yet walking. I mean, he can get up without help, can stand for a 30sek or longer without any support. If he is close to something and I am standing nearby and encourage him, he may come to me doing 5-6 steps. But in general he is rather crawling. I have never seem him talking these 2-3 steps by himself.
He started crawling after 10mo, sitting also came around 7mo. He hated tummy time and I think started to roll forth to back at 9m:).

I am reading that they start walking at 12-15mo. But if I ask anyone, their child started much earlier. Usually 11-13mo. And question about waking is a first one people ask me when we start talking about F. and when I say, well not yet, it seems like it is already much too late.

Should I worry...:(? ??? :-[ :-[
~Marta

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 13:31:49 pm »
 My dd hit every milestone like that on the later side. Sat up at 8 mos, crawled at 12, walked at 17.  I was told at the time that they don't even consider it "late" until 18 months, and even then they look at all the other milestones too. DD's language was explosive, she spoke clearly before she walked!  I had a friend whose baby (born the same week) was RUNNING at 12 mos, but not speaking. DD was the opposite. It all came in good time. I think dd's cautious spirit (which exists still) made her take a "watch and assess" position with most everything.
 Try not to worry.   :-*

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Walking... when?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 13:33:50 pm »
Stan was 15.5 months before he took a step.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 13:37:49 pm »
My DS was fairly early, but I'd say that later walking is a good thing! I call that 12-18 month period 'the age of mobility and no sense' as they are able to get into far more mischief than you can prevent due to their language abilities.

As long as he seems ok to you I wouldn't worry. He can do those steps, he's just choosing not to put it all together yet, yk? Probably working on something else :)
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 14:43:01 pm »
There is such a wide range of "normal" that I would not be worried about it now. My DD3 is almost 21 months and has been walking since 9 months and running by 12 yet she is just starting to really talk! She was too busy on the motor skills to bother with speech (plus grunting/shouting/pointing got her point across fine anyways :P)
Heidi

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 18:35:42 pm »
Totally normal Hun :-* I didn't walk til 18 months, my sister at 17 months. Although 18 months plus would be considered 'late' I've seen plenty of normal kids who took until 20 months or more to really get it. Try not to compare xxx

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 18:42:33 pm »
My friends DD didn't start walking until she was 19mo. She basically just got up one day and started running! You really wouldn't know any different and many are surprised when she tells them she's only been walking a matter of a few months. But boy, that girl can talk! Her vocabulary is just amazing and could hold a perfectly reasonable conversation at 18mo. When I posted about my DD's issues about her lack of talking, the helpful replies I got were that they're either a walker or a talker  ;) hth hun, try not to be worried... And make the most of it! All hell breaks loose when they start running about  ::) xx

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 18:44:14 pm »
Yes try not to worry too much honey, E didn't move at all and didn't learn how to roll until 18months, but she did get up and take a few steps around 14 months. I considered this to be early, given my late walking. I think if he's weight bearing for a little while it might just be a desire thing for him, wen he wants to walk he will. Hugs
~ Naomi ~

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 19:38:35 pm »
DD - 12 months, DS1 - 10 months, DS2 - 17 months!  He didn't even crawl till 12.5 months.  As he was my third I was quite grateful for the extra time without mobility!  They're all so different.  If he's stepped 5-6 steps it might just be he needs a bit more confidence but he'll be running around before you know it!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 20:48:33 pm »
My first and third both started walking around the 15/16 month mark.  My second walked before a year.  They're all on their own time table!

Offline Mum of PA

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 21:36:12 pm »
My cautious girl didn't walk until 4 days before she turned 20 months.  She had never taken a single step on her own before then, but I asked her to walk to me and she got up and did so!  I now know it was her personality to make sure she was totally able and ready to it. Agree with pp's try not to worry....

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 00:20:56 am »
I think dd's cautious spirit (which exists still) made her take a "watch and assess" position with most everything.

This was/still is my DD.  She also walked at 17 months.  Often, I think people are just trying to make conversation asking things like are they walking yet, yk?  It's just small talk even though it's hard not to take it personally or worry.  He will walk in his own time.  Then, you'll be running all over the place after him wondering why you were in such a rush for him to start.   ;)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 03:12:22 am »
DS1 didn't crawl until 10.5mo & while he took steps from standing at 13.5mo he really only started to walk at 14.5mo when he could push himself to standing from the middle of the room, one of the Mum's in our Mother's group made a comment about how he'd probably not be that physically able as he got older as he was slow as a baby, the irony is her son who walked at 8mo struggles with co-ordination & DS1 is a very co-ordinated sports person esp with his hands. DS2 was cruising furniture at 7mo, but didn't take free walking take steps until 13 months old & ran a week later.

But also both my DH & my sister were 21months plus when they started to walk & DH was a state level middle distance runner in his youth & my Sister is still running cross country runs 10km+ in her early 40's, so certainly late walking didn't impact them.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:27:40 am by Katet »
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 12:07:06 pm »
DS was 17mo - another cautious one here  ;D

He had very few falls, whereas all the kids that walked earlier were constantly covered in bruises!

DS has always been able to chatter for Britain so it's obvious where he put his developmental energy  ;)

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 12:15:29 pm »
My dd and ds both walked at around 17/18 months and are absolutely fine  :).
Claire x