Author Topic: Viscious cycle nap and bed  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: November 19, 2015, 14:25:32 pm »
So we've finally gotten to a point where lo naps everyday (unless we have a visitor at the house or aren't home). He's never napped well until now at 2.5!! Lol. The problem is that he usually goes down from 1-230 or 130-3 so 1.5 hrs and it's been affecting bedtime where he gets out of bed and his room and/or calls for us to come into room and bedtime is getting late around 930 some nights. The issue is he always wakes by 730 no matter what time he falls asleep at night. So for instance last night he fell asleep at 930 and was up today at 730 with only 10 hours of sleep he will need the nap today but then I might get the bedtime shennanigans tonight. It's s vicious cycle. Think I might try to cap at an hour or 45 mins and see how he does. Any other suggestions? Nap time doesn't seem to make a difference. I think he might actually go to bed easier at night after waking at 3 from nap if that's possible.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Viscious cycle nap and bed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:19:13 am »
I think you are on the right track to cap the nap, if you leave it too long and the nights get too short you will be stuck in an ot/ut loop. Best to circumvent that now!
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:34:45 am »
Got an ew or nw tiday not sure why he never does. We had a nnd the weather was awful so we couldn't get outside to play or to store and he just wasn't tired enough. He was up at 730 so I put him to bed at 720 and he fell asleep in a min. He was up at 4 am until around 5!!! He never wakes! What could it be from?

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 13:05:34 pm »
Sometimes it is just developmental (we are getting 5 am wakes lately but she is also losing her blanket and gets cold). Honestly with a toddler is probably isn't worth driving yourself around the bend to figure out the cause as it could be so many things! The only thing we can do is set the stage for good sleep habits, it is up to them to do the sleeping (or not!).
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 13:27:35 pm »
So true :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 12:19:18 pm »
But what I'm noticing is on days he doesnt nap he goes to bed much easier no shennanigans but he wakes during the night or early morning. Nights when he does nap can take a while for him to fall asleep at night with him calling for me or coming out of his room etc but he sleeps through the night. Mind you he hasn't woken during the night since he's a newborn.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 03:57:47 am »
Probably a bit of ot on the nnd's then, it will eventually go away once he can take those days in stride. Transitions are such a pita!
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 18:36:00 pm »
I'm also finding that if I don't take him to the playground or gym class he's not tired enough to nap but it's getting cold out and we are limited. Going to be a long winter ugh

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 23:14:25 pm »
I know! I loved spring/summer/fall - DH took them to the park for 2 hours after supper (we eat early lol). Last Christmas we invested in a slide/climber to keep inside as well as a swing and bars. Oh and a mini trampoline! We have a Wii but I figure it will be a couple of years before she gets use out of any of the more active games on that.
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 00:30:53 am »
My lo was always a great sleeper I don't noble what's going on. He's been up tiday since 645 no nap and is still awake in his room at 730 banging things opening the door coming out to the hallway. What's going on?! This is exhausting.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 00:57:47 am »
He is just getting older, has more awareness of things - like the fact that he is being sent to bed and you are up! I'm probably not the best person to trouble shoot as DD3 routinely does 13 hr + days and being tha she is my third I just go with whatever. DH tries to analyze but tbh I have given up on the "why" behind sleep and just try to provide the best environment for sleep and leave the rest up to the kids!
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 18:41:05 pm »
We've had a few nnds in a row but he's still giving me a hard time at bedtime. He normally only does a 12 hour day max when there's no nap. Could it be ot? Any tips?

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 02:48:51 am »
Very well could be. Will he cat nap at all (somehow I remember that didn't work?). If not it might just be rough going for a time. Remind me does he have all his teeth? We are waiting on two more molars - DD3 was up tons last night no idea if that was the issue!
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 11:36:53 am »
No he doesn't nap in the car! Lol I think all of his teeth are in but I'm not sure. Lately he's been biting on his hand which is new so no really sure. Maybe it's just a growth spurt he's growing so tall. Yesterday he was up before 7 and went to bed fine at 730 with no nap and didn't wake during the night. He's stirring already now at 630 which only makes for an 11 hour night with no nap. Not sure how he went from a 12 hr night with an 1.5 nap to 11 hours total ugh!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 18:32:08 pm »
It's been about 6 days with no nap! This is exhausting! And such a long day with just him and I stuck inside. Maybe i should enroll him in preschool.