Author Topic: Coconut Milk Allergy?  (Read 9484 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 29, 2016, 18:37:47 pm »
Hi Moms,
I'm wondering if this sounds like an allergy to you.  My son, almost 10 months, is sensitive to dairy. He has eczema flare outs if he has too much. His sister had milk/soy protein allergy but grew completely out of it by 18 months. We had to do slow introduction of dairy and cow's milk was the last item.  We have been given the okay to introduce milk. He is otherwise breastfed and on solids (no other sensitivities). He is still breastfed but likes to snack all day, so we do lots of solids and small bottles which has knocked down my freezer stash as I'm not able to totally keep up.  We tried introducing coconut milk to be part of the 'snacking' as I'm not able to keep up with breastmilk.  Day 1 the daycare gave him coconut milk later in the morning. He had a massive poop blow out which included everything they had fed him. Day 2, at home, I tried about 1.5-2oz of coconut milk in a sippy cup mixed with breastmilk. We had the same thing - massive blowout not long after. His mood seemed okay otherwise (other than cutting 4 teeth!!). I know coconut milk is a bit of a laxative but this seemed a little bit more. 

Is this normal? Could it be an allergy to coconut milk?  I was really hoping for it to be our go to as we're not allowed almond milk at daycare (nuts) and I want to avoid soy and rice milk. I haven't given any more since the 2nd blow out. Could it just be the body getting used to it and should I continue with small amounts?  Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. 

I am trying to get into the doctor but appointments take 2 weeks or more for non-urgent, so I'm just looking for any input in the meantime!

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 21:19:55 pm »
I really would talk to a medical professional about introducing milks other than BM or formula before 1.  The guidance here (UK) is that they should not be drinking anything else, apart from sips of water.  As far as I know here in the UK a doctor would not be happy for you to give LO any milk substitute that isn't made for babies, only BM or some kind of formula.

Realistically, you've got to do what you've got to do to get through.  For now, I'd ditch the coconut milk and try to give him some babymilk/formula that has been developed specially for infant feeding - there are goatsmilk versions for example which might be good as a stop-gap, and a complement to your own BM.   How many bottles/how much BM is he getting in the day?

Personally I've never heard of a coconut milk allergy but that means nothing, you need to go by his behaviour.  Something is disagreeing with him. There may be additives in the coconut milk - I drink it myself, and there are all kinds of things in the various brands.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Coconut Milk Allergy?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 21:41:08 pm »
I agree with pp. I would cut the coconut milk out totally for now and speak with a medical professional before considering re-introducing it (after 1yo).  Even after 1yo coconut milk is not considered as a straight replacement for cows milk, cows milk contains fats vitamins and nutrients which the coconut milk does not contain unless you are getting some sort of fortified coconut milk.

If you are still BF and he is still getting a reasonable amount of milk that way you could consider offering solids snacks (plus drink of water) a couple of times per day. I personally think that would be safer than using a milk alternative (ie milk that is not either breast milk or baby formula).

I would think it totally possible the coconut milk caused a huge blow out due to the laxative effect. It doesn't necessarily mean and allergy or that he can't have coconut milk or coconut when he's older, it's just not suitable for a baby this age.

Rice milk should not be given to under 5yo btw, I know you said you wanted to avoid it, just adding as an extra bit of info.

Oat milk can be given for over 1yos though and I imagine this is ok at day care?

For any alternate milk it is better to speak to your medical professional to make sure LO gets the balance of nutrients needed for good development.

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 21:53:58 pm »
Thank you both for the feedback. 

It was at our 9 month appointment that we were given the okay by the doctor to introduce milk and he specifically said milk or milk alternatives. He said anywhere between 9-12 months would be okay to introduce. We didn't try milk as we were already having reactions to cheese so that's what led me to coconut milk.  The type I do buy is fortified and contains a lot of the same vitamins, nutrients, etc as regular cows milk. I did a thorough investigation of brands and the labels with my first - it took a lot to find this one. 

I'll up the snacks and water and look into formulas. A lot of them seem to be milk based (dairy) or they are are hypoallergenic and very expensive (and taste awful for the little ones - we went through that with our first!).  But I agree with you both - I think perhaps I should just go the formula route, up the solids and water. He plays with so much of his food I don't think he's getting as much as he should be from solids and that's why I wanted to include some milk in his snacks. He still breastfeeds 3 times in 24hrs and a 4th if he's with me or a 6-8oz bottle if he's at daycare. The fact he was still getting so much of his nutrition from the breast is why I felt okay with introducing the milk/coconut milk, or other with snacks. He usually will take a 4-6oz bottle on days he's at home with me (so 4 breastfeeds + bottle) but drinks the 4-6oz in small amounts throughout the day. -- that's what I'm looking to change as that's the one I can't keep up with! 

I have another appointment with the doctor in about a week and a half and will back off until then. Also, will look into oat milk. I didn't know about Rice milk but haven't researched it thoroughly as I haven't been keen to think about that route. Thanks for the tip! :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 22:23:39 pm »
The type I do buy is fortified and contains a lot of the same vitamins, nutrients, etc as regular cows milk. I did a thorough investigation of brands and the labels with my first - it took a lot to find this one. 
:) that's great that you were able to find one that has so much in it.

A lot of them seem to be milk based (dairy) or they are are hypoallergenic and very expensive (and taste awful for the little ones - we went through that with our first!)
From what I've been told the MSPI formulas are disgusting.  I imagine it would take a bit of coaxing and a very hungry baby to get some of that in if there was any other option at all of holding out for solids or breast milk.  That's why I thought maybe some solids snacks might be the answer (esp as he is still getting breast milk so he's not totally without his milk).

FWIW rice milk has arsenic levels which are harmful to LOs under 5yo. One drink of it wouldn't have enough to make a difference but daily drinks would be harmful.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 01:11:39 am »
Is this actual coconut milk, or is this a coconut "milk"-in-quotes beverage like this one: http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-beverages/original ? Some of the beverages contain other ingredients that young tummies can be sensitive to.

Even plain coconut milk an come with thickeners that some people are sensitive to (guar gum), which can also cause issues.

Agree that rice milk isn't a good option at this age due to the arsenic issue; it naturally leaches the arsenic from the soil. :-\