Author Topic: Weaning Swaddle  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Weaning Swaddle
« on: April 05, 2016, 23:25:06 pm »
Oh heaven help me...it is soon going to be time to wean the swaddle  :-\  Nora has started rolling from back to tummy, and while she hasn't done it in the swaddle yet, I've seen some tricky maneuvers...so while I'm not super concerned just yet, I think in the near future it is going to become a safety issue.  The other thing is, sometimes at night she breaks her hands out so she can suck on them, which is fine, but then she gets all tangled up in the muslin (what I use to swaddle) and I've seen her get it over her face - so again, safety issue.  I am REALLY not looking forward to this.  She does actually really enjoy the swaddle, she's never slept unswaddled unless in the car or the odd nap I've had to AP.  And, she's a really great night sleeper so I'm literally terrified I'm going to screw her sleep up.

So I guess the best thing to do is to start with 1 arm out?  The thing is, if she breaks her hands out in the MOTN to suck on them she virtually doesn't sleep.  She is still really jolt-y and when her hands are out she flails around like a fish out of water  :-\  I guess all I can do is start with 1 arm out and just hope (and pray!) she adjusts and learns to sleep and control her flailing limbs?

Did I mention I really don't want to do this? LOL  :P

Offline Sharwellstudio

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Weaning Swaddle
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:44:06 am »
Hi!  No great help or advice here. I just wanted to let you know I am loving it. Last night we took our touchy, reflux baby out of the swaddle and tried a zipadeezip. Time will tell if he comes to like it. We didn't have too big of a change from the number of night wakings (still 7 or so). I think w DS1 we did a one arm out before weening the swaddle. I can't for the life of me remember how long it took. I do know once he rolled we started placing him on his tummy and it helped a ton. He still sleeps on his tummy (2.5 years later)!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 09:37:20 am »
You've seen the sticky have you hun? Weaning the swaddle - when, how, tips and tricks

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 15:06:17 pm »
Gah!! I'm just so scared to try lol

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 02:43:14 am »
So I just wanted to update that we did try swaddling with 1 arm out one night, and...ugh.  She slept okay I guess but was definitely up more often, completely scratched her face up, and was just so restless all night long.  I didn't sleep a wink because I am a really light sleeper so every time that arm flailed I woke up.  By 5am I was just so tired I swaddled that arm back in and slept for 2hrs in a row lol. 

So, I don't know.  I'm not sure if she just isn't ready or if it is going to be like this whether or not I do it now or later.  She just sleeps great swaddled so it seems so silly to mess up a good thing.  The bassinet is too small for her to roll in it so that isn't a problem at night. 

Going to leave it for now I think.  At this rate she's going to be swaddled until she's 12 lol

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 06:42:17 am »
*imagining 12 year old wrapped in a huge swaddle* ;D hehe!  If you don't think she's ready then give it a week or two then try again. Remember there will be a bit of disruption whenever you decide to do it but you'll get through it - just stock up on sleep first!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 14:59:03 pm »
Operation un-swaddle has commenced.

DH is off for the next 2 weeks so I figured this is probably the best time since if I have to spend all day resettling naps DH can be around to occupy DS.  And, the weather is supposed to be great over the next 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'm way less crabby on little sleep when the weather is nice lol

So her first nap she went down ok, she actually managed to transition and was tossing around and flailing that arm around but didn't fully wake.  Unfortunately she didn't fall back into a deep sleep and woke at 50mins.  So not exactly a success but not horrible either.  I didn't bother trying to resettle because after 50mins I figured it was a lost cause, she's been happy enough since.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 18:31:35 pm »
Not a bad start :)  Hope it continues ok for you x

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 02:00:15 am »
Kinda went pear shaped lol.  Pretty sure she's thinking "what do I do with this flailing limb? I think I will wave it in the air like I just don't care!" :P

Seriously though, next nap was not great.  Woke OT after 30mins and I tried to resettle her with no luck, which was hugely disappointing because I can usually resettle naps about 75% of the time (swaddled of course).  She just wants to stretch, and I'm like no stretching!!  Stretching is for waking up and we are NOT waking up we are going back to sleep lol

Next nap woke OT after 30 again but I was able to resettle, but only after rocking her back into a really deep sleep.  I guess I will just work on the weaning and AP like that until we get through to no swaddle and then work on resettling back in the crib.  I think otherwise she is going to end up an OT disaster.

OR...I'll just swaddle until 12 like my original plan.  DH says until 20 so no boys can come near lol

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 06:30:07 am »
;D to your DH!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 10:47:22 am »
Well the night was horrendous, particularly after her NF and then from about 4:30am onward I don't think she slept more than 10mins at a time.  So again I am questioning why I am even doing this.  I know technically it is "time" but I don't remember it being this brutal with DS and he was swaddled until 5 months.  That said, he was in his own room at that point so it's possible I just didn't hear him.

I'm trying to persevere...put her down for her morning nap (1 arm out) and she was so OT she was completely beside herself.  I am having a hard time determining whether we just need to push through or if she really isn't ready  ???
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:06:28 pm by Lindsay27 »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 18:41:08 pm »
I think with any big change there's going to be an adjustment period.  It's up to you though, you know her best :-* no chance of anything else bothering her like teeth?  I would personally hang in there another day or two and see how you go, but if it feels wrong, take a break xx

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 20:53:49 pm »
Just wanted to confess to you that J is still swaddled!

Hope things settle down soon.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 23:50:16 pm »
^^Oh thank god! I was actually going to PM you to see what your swaddle status was!

Things today were a mess so I gave up, again.  I understand there will be some degree of sleep regression but the poor thing was just beside herself all day, we had absolutely no routine because the morning was such a mess...her feeds were off, naps were brutal etc. 

I re-read the sticky and Tracy said to wean gradually but if you find that your LO isn't settling at all stop, swaddle, then try again later.  So I think that is what we will do.  She was sleeping perfectly so I think for her to be disrupted this much isn't right.  I am going to try to follow DDs lead a little more rather than trying to force this on her if she isn't there.  She's only rolled once so I don't think that's a major concern right now.

So I am sure when I attempt this again you will all have to listen to be moan some more lol.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 18:45:23 pm »
Sounds like the right decision for now :). Wishing you a more peaceful night!